PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
The problem with ignoring the demand is that they may pull your Drivers License.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some online retail sites include the tax when they total up your purchase, while you can still cancel the whole deal. That's the right way to do this. You can choose to do the purchase and pay the tax, if you must. The idea of tagging along months after the deal is closed with a cheap ass bill for $6.96 is beyond stupid. The administrative costs are three or four times that or more. If you can determine the retailer, I'd let them know they have to show the tax up front, or lose your business. I might go ahead and pay the tax just to eliminate spending any more time on it. Tax is a place-and-time of purchase activity, not a months later when you don't even know what purchase it's for.

I'd bet good money that the DMV and the state treasury is not that connected. Usually, one hand has no idea what the other hand is doing in government, even within the treasury. But, I'd pay the meager $7 just to be rid of them. But, honestly, I have no idea why an out of state B&M would comply with the laws of another state. Inner state laws don't work that way. If California made a law that told all out of state jewelry stores that we had to report to them, I'd just laugh. There is no way that another state could enforce a law against a B&M not within their borders. What could they do to me for selling to their residents? Nothing. They can punish their residents but not the out of state businesses. Unless my state officially gave me a letter that forced me to comply with another state's law.., but that ain't gonna happen.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If they didn't send it registered mail or by courier who gets a signature, throw it out.
It's just 400 lb bureaucrats trying to squeeze more money out of you.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I really think it's not the fault or doing of the merchant, and it'd be very unfair to dock Iwan Ries for their doing what they're supposed to do by law. It's the scabs in NJ that combed the files to smack little guys.
If anyone knows different, please spell it out!

Jun 27, 2016
When I originally posted my reply, I read tobacco tax, but was thinking sales tax.
I've never heard of the retailers doing this either, but it seems to go back to the Jenkins Act. I've only found older info on it, but it originally only talks about cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. Not sure if that is still true, but if it is, you might be able to use that, although they could possibly turn around and go after you for sales tax instead. Did you get a bill for sales tax too?

deathmetal
If they didn't send it registered mail or by courier who gets a signature, throw it out.
That's probably what I would do, if at all possible. Would be nice to know who is doing this, so that they can be avoided. At least we will know that they are recording and storing most/all of your information that you are providing them.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
The retailer should be called out and place a pipe up the bung hole. Mom and pop shops will fuck you up the ass faster than any Walmart ever will. True story to. Well maybe not but I do t care. Maybe complain about politics is the best action here.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
" The taxes will soon be the norm. No one will complain as it is all they know."
Sadly seems to be a trend with them about many things, Warren. I use to laugh about conspiracy theories including the dumbing down of education. I do not laugh anymore.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I occasionally shop at local B&M cigar and pipe shops. Are the prices a little higher? Yes. But I seldom make an order of more than 4 or 5 tins so I usually pay the shipping. If I was to order a single tin or even two tins on-line, with shipping the total is about even with what I would pay at the B&M plus sales tax.
It's all the other taxes which the B&M has to pay which drives the prices up in some states.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's not a new trend. We started arguing with and killing each other over taxes immediately after the American Revolution, before the ink was dry on the Bill of Rights. The militia and even the regulars were sent out by freshly created governments (State and Federal) to put down tax rebellions. Another cause of some discontent, shooting style, was the government's refusal to honor promises made to veterans of the Revolution. Taxes, mistreatment of vets, broken promises? Nothing new in our short and varied history.

Jun 27, 2016
hakchuma

The retailer should be called out...
jpmcwjr

Absolutely not. Not unless they are doing anything other than following the law.
Presuming that these instances occur nationwide, what recourse does an out-of-state tax collector have when a shop tells them to leave with no information? Looks like none to me. Also, not seeing where the "Jenkins Act" specifies anything other than cigarette and smokeless tobacco. Seems like RYO got added later on, but not seeing pipe tobacco talked about, unless I am missing something.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
Aside from identifying the IL retailer who reported this internet sale to the NJ tax folks, shouldn't we also wonder about the possibility that other e-tailers in other states may be reporting sales too? Places, for example, like PA and one of the Carolinas? How do we know if they are or are not starting to comply with new regulations on internet sales demanding that the e-seller report the individual sales to the tax authorities in the buyer's state of residence? This, despite assurances and "guarantee" of privacy and data protection at the e-seller's online site? Will they be as willing to comply as was the tobacconist in Illinois? Or is it that the tax collectors have now hackers at their disposal? Could it be the Russians?? The mind boggles.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I just lost my entire tobacco cellar in a fishing accident. :(
If the seller did not lose the record of the internet sale then you might be out the tax money as well as the tobacco that was lost in the fishing accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.