PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
You can't go wrong with that deal, even if just for the experience of attempting to restore meer estates. You'll know what to look for or avoid in the future. I have been told that smoking a lot of burley blends for a while can help "clean out" residual tastes from old meers but I've never needed to so that could just be pipe folklore.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Holy Bejesus, that looks great, I’ll have to take a better look at them, the double I’m pretty sure is dead with flaking leather, all the army boot polish training in the world won’t being that back plus it’s hinges and metal parts are rusted but I’ll check the other two over.

Went to get cotton balls at the store to soak in the 151 for the bowls and forgot… BOTH times. Getting old sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Little update and a question. So the first one i was cleaning is coming out really well, got a majority of the crud off as shown here

420B0152-E644-40D8-97BD-07E75E7C66AA.jpeg
035BBD75-A20A-4960-B11D-95C65B95CD94.jpeg

Still a ways to go, btw saliva works way better than water.

I do have a question on this pipe, it woulr appear that this is a meer screw in, was that actually a thing? I can tell already if im going to fuck any of these up it’s going to be this one, i am being very careful cleaning out the stem, which is Amber and cool to me so i really don’t want to snap part of it off or get 151 on it and soften the threads or some other idiotic move. At first i thought it might be resin or something but the it all sucks water right up, could this be pressed out of meer-dust if that on itself is a thing? Sorry for the questions i read through the threads and did searches and found nothing on this.
EE86C037-777C-4268-ABC8-69D6841B4E90.jpeg

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
I have had success with pipe reamers without the tee handle in the past. Seem to be more comfortable with sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel. Good luck with this project and the progress is looking great...

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I'm probably late to the party but have to mention it:
Once I cleaned up a badly caked estate meer with a sharp pen knife and a light touch. Starting with the inside of the bowl, and dry (not wet), the carbon has a different feel than the meer. I'd tell a patient man that light scraping is a safe way to save time getting the majority of the cake out before switching to a wet bandana (or paper towel). Judging by your posts, I assume you're patient enough.