PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Found this 4 pipe lot on eBay, seller must be an estate scavenger and didn’t know much about them except what you see and one is marked “Turkey” (hopefully not a premonition about me for buying them). They were just too cheap to pass on and even if one of them is good then it’s a good deal at the price.

E54EAECB-B7B3-4A98-A354-8FBCE4210FF0.jpeg
3CB84F08-B440-47CF-A3A3-0F7974CB036A.jpeg

DC0B5F1F-CB57-4D7D-9D5E-5B37FF6AA0E4.jpeg
345B3236-1B00-4820-96F0-74CB90ED66E5.jpeg
32A77ECB-FAE3-4755-B719-3B95A231A15D.jpeg

C5CFFEA6-11C4-4F06-80D4-9D185CEDB33A.jpeg
07F943C7-A99D-4B82-B19E-E5ABE51BBED0.jpeg
7739429E-C950-4791-A00E-9DDA4A1CEA74.jpeg
Should be delivered soon, fingers crossed!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The bottom two I can't tell, but the Meers look in generally good shape and should be sturdy smokers. For the Meers alone, you can't beat the price. Good catch.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
The bottom two I can't tell, but the Meers look in generally good shape and should be sturdy smokers. For the Meers alone, you can't beat the price. Good catch.
They are all meers that one picture those are just the ratty old leather cases they are in. It got me the first time i saw that pic too ?

Reactions: kcghost

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My one Meer, an estate, came in a little wooden box adapted to the purpose, so I didn't even think of the cases. Ha! I'm glad I didn't try to smoke one of those.

• Haha
Reactions: AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I think we can take the fancy out and stick with cheap. Arrived today and I'll put it to the experts here. Bowls are incredibly caked, the dream of a quick wipe and smoking them went right out the window, again for how cheap they were I can always just toss them on a rack to look nice... ish.

IMG_4948.JPG

The top one seems to have a meer tendon

IMG_4944.JPG

The bottom pipe mortise seems to maybe be off a bit and when you screw it together the stem is kind of "bent" to the side, even though the connection looks good, almost like it was made that way, see pics below

IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

and the bowls on all the pipes are fairly heinous

IMG_4945.JPG

IMG_4946.JPG

This one isn't as horrible.

IMG_4947.JPG

So thoughts and opinions from those that have been around the block a few times? Again they were basically the price of a couple of tins of tobacco so I would be hurt or depressed if the general idea is to put them, much like baby, in a corner. I also already ordered a small one off of SP because I really like the idea of them, being able to just smoke the same bowl a few times in a row, not as much to worry about with as briar, etc.,

On the bright side no musty smell LOL

Attachments

• IMG_4944.JPG
    IMG_4944.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4945.JPG
    IMG_4945.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4946.JPG
    IMG_4946.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 1

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I think we can take the fancy out and stick with cheap. Arrived today and I'll put it to the experts here. Bowls are incredibly caked, the dream of a quick wipe and smoking them went right out the window, again for how cheap they were I can always just toss them on a rack to look nice... ish.

View attachment 150911

The top one seems to have a meer tendon

View attachment 150910

The bottom pipe mortise seems to maybe be off a bit and when you screw it together the stem is kind of "bent" to the side, even though the connection looks good, almost like it was made that way, see pics below

View attachment 150902

View attachment 150903

and the bowls on all the pipes are fairly heinous

View attachment 150908

View attachment 150909

This one isn't as horrible.

View attachment 150907

So thoughts and opinions from those that have been around the block a few times? Again they were basically the price of a couple of tins of tobacco so I would be hurt or depressed if the general idea is to put them, much like baby, in a corner. I also already ordered a small one off of SP because I really like the idea of them, being able to just smoke the same bowl a few times in a row, not as much to worry about with as briar, etc.,

On the bright side no musty smell LOL
The over clocked one looks like it had a spacer that is gone, or the reverse tenon got twisted.

Reactions: anotherbob

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'd start with hot water and gentle, careful scraping of the excess cake.

Great acquisition!
Started with just the bristle brush and got a lot of it this one (the later post pic) wasn't nearly as bad but I figure they will make good little projects and if they clean up I'm even further ahead of the game.

The over clocked one looks like it had a spacer that is gone, or the reverse tenon got twisted.

It's a shame because i really do like that one and it's just odd that it fits so well but is "twisted" a bit, amusingly enough i actually twist my MM stems a bit because I like to hold the bowl at an angle... maybe it's just meant to be!

I keep thinking they are actually messed up like the tendon is not in the stem ... like they got stuck and someone pulled too hard and it came out of the wrong piece of the pipe.

Reactions: crashthegrey

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I’ve made an executive decision, i will clean this up on the side for practice and all of that and in the meantime i have ordered one of the Ali small skull bowls off of SP. i mean for the price it’s a no brainer, not going to futz around with these and worry about it, i think my first Meerschaum should be a good one.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
After about 2 hours of slow steady cleaning the first one is cleaning up nicely using a shit ton of damp paper towels to wipe out the bowl and then now and then using the old school English reamer to gently scrape away bits of the softened cake then back to paper towels, just repeating that process over and over. Still have a ways to go but it’s definitely working.

For the stem i used a super thin bottle brush brush that i dipped in a little 151, the stem was the easy part, did that until no more goop. It’s relaxing in its own way.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I think you got a great deal there. They will probably all clean up nicely. When I get an estate that has a lot of cake I can only assume the previous owner really liked the way the pipe smoked. Once you get them cleaned to your satisfaction, please let us know how they perform.

Reactions: anotherbob

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I think you got a great deal there. They will probably all clean up nicely. When I get an estate that has a lot of cake I can only assume the previous owner really liked the way the pipe smoked. Once you get them cleaned to your satisfaction, please let us know how they perform.
Yes i need to take better before pics of the other bowls, they are all heavily caked, i have a decent pic of the one I’m working now, im to the point where i can start to see Meer in the bowl.

• Love
Reactions: reloader
Jun 23, 2019
This one is cleaning up fairly decent, alcohol on a pipe cleaner through the stem (6 of them) till coming out clean and the bowl isn't looking bad, just lightly going over the inside with a medium bristle brush and a bit of spit shine and some papertowels being careful not to F it all up.

View attachment 150913

View attachment 150914

Was gonna mention this in your original post, but this is a real beauty. Very nicely "fumed" I suspect.