PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dmitri1516

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2022
Hi guys, may I know if it's okay not to clean your pipe for one day ? I used my pipe yesterday but I forgot to clean after use. I'm not really a heavy user. But I usually smoke the pipe a few times daily

Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: solideogloria86

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Hi guys, may I know if it's okay not to clean your pipe for one day ? I used my pipe yesterday but I forgot to clean after use. I'm not really a heavy user. But I usually smoke the pipe a few times daily

Thanks
You'd find that this is more than a lot of us here!

Pipe will be fine, I am a bit anal about it and clean my pipes as soon as they've cooled down, but you'll be totally fine.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

Thanks

I think one downside to having such a large body of "rules" and best practices at our fingertips, is that it's easier to get anxious about making mistakes. It might be illuminating to deliberately wait on cleaning a pipe (or even using pipe cleaners to wick up moisture) for a period of time to experience what might happen, for yourself.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
After spending my first decade all over the place pipe wise and tobacco wise, I finally decided I needed a system.

I first figured what my favorite blends were and how to get them. i then determined what size pipes smoked my favorite flakes and plugs the best. I then worked on exact dimensions and certain shapes with certain sandblasts. My only smooth pipe I smoke is a Scott Thile Bulldog. It is dedicated to one of my favorite blends and the combo never fails.

I decided to keep my collection at around 40 pipes not the 90 I used to have as I have a great rotation with just the 40. I am not saying I will never buy another pipe, but it would have to be special. There are only a couple of old tins I might buy if the price was right, but the rest of my cellar is complete. I worked on my cellar first then hit the pipe equation. With way more focus.

Now I am where I feel comfortable with blends of great tobacco to be smoked in some great pipes. Sometimes you gotta have a plan which I was lucky to come up with.

Reactions: Winnipeger

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
We all seem to develop our own rhythm and rituals for our pipes. There have been times I set my pipe down get busy doing something else and find it the next day. I strike a match and pick up where I left off. That isn’t the norm for me but I’m not saying it doesn’t happen. Like paulfg said: Those that came before us abused the hell out of them and still kept on smoking them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I sometimes leave a pipe overnight and clean it the next day. I often smoke intermittently over a day or two before I clean a pipe. The main thing is to clean pipes regularly, but you don't have to do it by the clock.

My dad owned only one pipe at a time, smoked most of the day except for mealtime, and smoked only Granger from the pouch. He kept his pipe clean, but wasn't arduous about it. I smoke much less than he did and clean my pipes much more often, but he did it his way and did just fine. Right on through college, through his service as a minesweeper captain during World War II, through a long career in the Chicago financial district, and so on.

Reactions: Briar’s Echo

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
We all seem to develop our own rhythm and rituals for our pipes. There have been times I set my pipe down get busy doing something else and find it the next day. I strike a match and pick up where I left off. That isn’t the norm for me but I’m not saying it doesn’t happen. Like paulfg said: Those that came before us abused the hell out of them and still kept on smoking them.
Briar has hit the nail on the head, the rhythm and ritual are a big part of it all. I usually clean my pipes after each smoke. However, I have occasionally smoked them again after no cleaning of any kind, and to tell you the truth—- I didn’t notice any difference. 😜

Now does that mean that I clean my pipes excessively? Does that mean that cleaning doesn’t matter? Does that mean my palate is screwy? I think it means that rhythm and ritual are good things and not to worry about it too much.