PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I decided to keep my collection at around 40 pipes not the 90 I used to have as I have a great rotation with just the 40. I am not saying I will never buy another pipe, but it would have to be special. There are only a couple of old tins I might buy if the price was right, but the rest of my cellar is complete. I worked on my cellar first then hit the pipe equation. With way more focus.
Not to derail the thread, but are there any discussions about "too many pipes" on the board? Not in a joking way of "you can never have too many pipes." I did a cursory search yesterday and didn't find anything. I find that when I have too many pipes, my brain scrambles, and I then go to the same handful of pipes rather than smoking all my options. My number is around 20 or so. Maybe even only 15? At the mysterious number, I smoke them all, but if I go above that mysterious number, I keep reaching for the same handful of pipes. I can't explain it, but I know it happens for me.

Reactions: huckleberry

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
We, as pipe smokers, just love to complicate things. You must clean your pipe thoroughly after every smoke and boil it while your smoking it, rotate your pipes and make sure you don't use a pipe more than twice a week, stand on your head and fart if you are smoking an aromatic etc. etc etc. Don't worry or complicate your smoking experience. Just enjoy it and do what works for you. If you want to go a few smokes before cleaning and that makes your soldier stand to attention then do what's good for you. Enjoy the smoking experience.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
We, as pipe smokers, just love to complicate things. You must clean your pipe thoroughly after every smoke and boil it while your smoking it, rotate your pipes and make sure you don't use a pipe more than twice a week, stand on your head and fart if you are smoking an aromatic etc. etc etc. Don't worry or complicate your smoking experience. Just enjoy it and do what works for you. If you want to go a few smokes before cleaning and that makes your soldier stand to attention then do what's good for you. Enjoy the smoking experience.

Great post!

I think *for me* one of the BEST things about pipe smoking is that it is NOT complicated for me. My life tends to be rather too damn complicated overall with minutia at work, schedules and duties to accommodate for family, etc. Pipe smoking *for me* is a simple, uncomplicated, pleasure. When I want to smoke a pipe, I fill a bowlful and ignite it and enjoy. I am not fussy about various tobaccos as most of the time I am content with my codger blends, but can easily grab something else if it sounds entertaining in the moment. Cleaning happens when it feels necessary, but is not something I worry or think about much. Rotation of pipes usually happens when either I forget where the pipe I had been smoking is, or another pipe is closer at hand, but no timing, rhyme, or reason to which pipe I use at any given time. So, for me…. my “method” is as unstructured, unregulated, and “unruled” as possible… BECAUSE I very much enjoy having something in my day-to-day life that IS simple, carefree, easy, and a joyful indulgence.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I think a wise man maybe once said, "Keep it simple, stupid."

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Great post!

I think *for me* one of the BEST things about pipe smoking is that it is NOT complicated for me. My life tends to be rather too damn complicated overall with minutia at work, schedules and duties to accommodate for family, etc. Pipe smoking *for me* is a simple, uncomplicated, pleasure. When I want to smoke a pipe, I fill a bowlful and ignite it and enjoy. I am not fussy about various tobaccos as most of the time I am content with my codger blends, but can easily grab something else if it sounds entertaining in the moment. Cleaning happens when it feels necessary, but is not something I worry or think about much. Rotation of pipes usually happens when either I forget where the pipe I had been smoking is, or another pipe is closer at hand, but no timing, rhyme, or reason to which pipe I use at any given time. So, for me…. my “method” is as unstructured, unregulated, and “unruled” as possible… BECAUSE I very much enjoy having something in my day-to-day life that IS simple, carefree, easy, and a joyful indulgence.
Hey mate, excellent post and well written! You are a man after my own heart!

Reactions: paulfg

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
Maybe its just me but I am anal about cleaning my pipes, as soon as its cool its gets cleaned.
Ive seen pictures of pipes that belonged to people that have never cleaned them and they just horrify me.
or maybe I just have OCD?....🤔

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
We are putting a toxic susbstance into a piece of wood and setting fire to it. Neglecting to run a bit of fluff through it from time to time is not going to do any harm.

Reactions: huckleberry