PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've never done it but I've seen quite a few estates that needed sanding to get down to unburnt wood.
Wow. Yeah I've seen some pipes that have it. And to me it seems like the results of a bad habit repeated over and over again. Then again I've met people that have trouble trimming the ends of cigars and people who have trouble getting the cigarette end over the flame instead of half an inch in from that.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Take a look at pictures of the plasma lighters. Do you think the heat will be close enough to the tobacco to light it? I don't think so.
I don't know how hot the plasma lighter flame is but if it can be held in the center of the bowl just above the rim, I suspect you can draw the flame into the bottom of the bowl. Just try it and find out.

Reactions: kcghost

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I don't know how hot the plasma lighter flame is but if it can be held in the center of the bowl just above the rim, I suspect you can draw the flame into the bottom of the bowl. Just try it and find out.
That's why it's a nope from me. People responding in this thread and who have tried it say they don't work.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I'll stick with Corona lighters.
Me too, and I also like the Bic EZ Reach lighters because they are great in the wind. In wind, I pack the bowl about 1/2 to 2/3 full and that allows me to put the tip of the lighter deep enough into the bowl so that I don't overly burn the tobacco when I light it. Better than a Zippo for that in my experience. When there's no wind, I prefer the Corona style (I use the Peterson model).

Reactions: kcghost

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Can you use the flame to shut up a noisy neighbors dog. I could do a walk by, zap it once and shut it up.

Mark, I think you should get to a patent office and re market this as noisy dog stopper. That would sell like wild fire. If you get the patent and begin making and selling them. I feel 20% to me would be fair, what do you think.