PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I like the concept of a plasma lighter for pipes but I don't like the design of the ones that are available. They don't look like you can put the "flame" far enough into a pipe bowl to light the tobacco.

Am I wrong?

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
20190912_211926.jpg

USB rechargeable lighter. Works for a first light. Will work, but certainly not what I reach for when lighting my pipe.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Hownson
I like the concept of a plasma lighter for pipes but I don't like the design of the ones that are available. They don't look like you can put the "flame" far enough into a pipe bowl to light the tobacco.

Am I wrong?
How do you use a Zippo or Old Boy type? Do you actually use a lighter?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
The one thing I learned about tobacco is that it wants to be treated, lit and smoked gently for the best experience. And for that a soft flame is needed so you can softly let it touch your leaf and char/light up calmly.
Pipe smoking is an activity of leisure, after all, and this fine plant expects and deserves a calm, refined and well prepared treatment. Not much unlike our beloved pipes.
From sowing and growth to drying and fermentation all the way through to preparation and stuffing it down our filigree pipe chambers - Tobacco wants to be treated with the respect it deserves all the way.

That's my humble opinion and all I have to say.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Muttonchop Piper once said something to the effect that smoking a pipe and getting the most flavor out of the tobacco was like gently coaxing a scared cat from under a sofa with kind words rather than jabbing at it and pushing it out the backside with a broomstick.

I’m probably mangling his more eloquent sentiment
but you get the drift.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Muttonchop Piper once said something to the effect that smoking a pipe and getting the most flavor out of the tobacco was like gently coaxing a scared cat from under a sofa with kind words rather than jabbing at it and pushing it out the backside with a broomstick.

I’m probably mangling his more eloquent sentiment
but you get the drift.
Then he proceeds to smoke the pipe like he's trying to burn a hole in it.rotf

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've never had much luck with this don't touch flame to the tobacco method. Probably I am just too damn impatient. Is there much difference in flavor? I am careful not to scorch the briar at least.
honestly sometimes but more that it's harder to over light it and get it too hot. I'd say Va and VaOr seem to taste a little bit better that way. Other blends not so much difference. Though it does show that you don't need a lighter to reach all the way inside.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
honestly sometimes but more that it's harder to over light it and get it too hot. I'd say Va and VaOr seem to taste a little bit better that way. Other blends not so much difference. Though it does show that you don't need a lighter to reach all the way inside.
Fair enough. I know what you mean by overlighting. I've been guilty of that before. I usually use my Xikar pipe lighter and kiss the flame to the tobacco. Tamp and repeat. But I do draw the flame into the tobacco. I have tried just holding the flame ever so close to start a smolder, but as I said, maybe just too damn impatient.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
how often do rims actually get scorched? I've thought I had scorched a few and a little bit of water and paper towels later I find nope not scorched.
I've never done it but I've seen quite a few estates that needed sanding to get down to unburnt wood.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob