PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

howag93

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
For an aromatic I would recommend my favorite to anyone, beginner or veteran, and that is Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. American Delight. It is a very mild blend and you'd almost have to be trying to get tongue bite for it to bite you. It has a very pleasant sweet taste. It always makes me thing "candy bar" although not any specific bar. I have found GH&C aromatics to be very much less wet, or goopy, than other brands (you'll note all of the conversation here about added humectants). I smoke this particular blend straight out of the tin, or bag in my case, without any dry time and those that want it drier shouldn't have to give it much dry time. Additionally, since you mentioned it, I will never touch Lane 1-Q again after trying this blend. I've got a few ounces of 1-Q I haven't been able to give away yet.

For an English I would recommend Arango Balkan Supreme if you can get it. It's cheap but better than so many other blends. It's around $2-$3 per oz here in the US. Even though you mention avoiding Latakia for now I would still recommend getting an oz to at least try. I'm not a big fan of Latakia but really enjoy this blend and find that it helps breakup the monotony of smoking mostly aromatics and VaPers. It kind of "resets" my palate , if you will.

For a Virginia I would recommend a VaPer instead as I have more familiarity with them. For that I consider Samuel Gawith St James Flake to be the best VaPer available although there are many, many close ones available. SG's Cabbie's Mixture being one of them. For just a Virginia you could try something like Capstan. I tried the gold for the first time over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

Whatever you choose remember there's no real "wrong" here. Relax and enjoy it. I often let my pipe go out on purpose and relight it rather than try to stoke it back up. I've found it's not only easier on my tongue but I get more flavor this way.

Also remember to dry your tobacco more than you think you should, pack it looser than you think you should, and adjust as you go. If you fell you've over-dried your tobacco a little bit, simply don't dry the next bowl as much. You can always dry it a little more as well. I prefer to use my tamper and pack the bowl more as I smoke. Some tobacco blends tend top expand once lit and won't stay lit once expanded.

Thanks a lot for your response. Samuel Gawith is obviously more available in the UK so I will look at some of their VaPers. Can I ask what your experience with 1Q was like to make you hate it?

Reactions: shanez

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Thanks a lot for your response. Samuel Gawith is obviously more available in the UK so I will look at some of their VaPers. Can I ask what your experience with 1Q was like to make you hate it?
I don't actually hate 1-Q I just find it unnecessary after discovering GH&C's American Delight and Kentucky Nougat.

You can see all of the back and forth discussions regarding wet, sticky, goopy, and/or "chemical" tasting blends. I can see these traits, at least to a degree, in Lane's products but not in GH&C's products. GH&C is a step above in quality and they seem to be masters at putting together aromatics, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: Akousticplyr

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
the downside of a lot of aromatics is that they smell better than they taste. I enjoy vapers with some others mixed in... just finished a can of 3 oaks syrian about a month ago but that is strong latakia

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I don't actually hate 1-Q I just find it unnecessary after discovering GH&C's American Delight and Kentucky Nougat.

You can see all of the back and forth discussions regarding wet, sticky, goopy, and/or "chemical" tasting blends. I can see these traits, at least to a degree, in Lane's products but not in GH&C's products. GH&C is a step above in quality and they seem to be masters at putting together aromatics, at least in my opinion.
Of course, now the KY Nougat is on backorder at SP....look forward to trying some myself!

Reactions: shanez

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Update: I caved and went with an ounce of 1Q, BCA, 7 Seas (Black) and Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, SG Squadron Leader and GH Kentucky Nougat. So as you can see, for the most part, I went full noob aromatic starter! Also, no additional tax or customs needed which I assumed I would have to pay, so very cheap for me!

Although some people suggested staying away from aromatics (and I appreciate their views), I decided to go for something which had a mild tobacco taste to ease me into it. As a non-smoker, even just the smell of squadron leader seems a bit intimidating although I'm aware taste and smells are very different.

Will update you guys on my thoughts on the tobacco choices when I get the chance to try! Slightly worried I'm just going to hate it from the start!
Nice selection.

Latakia is an acquired taste for some of us.
My first English blend was a generous sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard. It smelled like 'Asphalt, burnt rubber and butt'.

Off course I had to try it, lol. It was much better once I mixed it 50/50 with Windsail Virginia. Even then, one small bowl in the evening was enjoyable, two bowls was one too many.

Now I quite like English/American blends where the Latakia is a condiment.

For something different [that I really enjoy], mix a bowls worth of Squadron Leader with an aromatic in equal amounts.