PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This was my thinking. Some of the stuff I first ordered (aromatics) were like trying to burn asbestos insulation. That almost ran me off.. I do live in a high humidity climate, this could be partially to blame.
Yeah I didn't feel like I truly "got it" untill I had my first bowl of Carter Hall. And I've stuck with it ever since.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Sugar is a humectant. Aromatics absolutley contain humectants and additives.
C'mon, you probably know that by humectants I mean artificial additives, like PG. By additives I also mean chemical crap that can impart the tobacco a chemical aftertaste, which some have noticed in Carter Hall and I've personally tasted in Lane's products, particularly BCA. Lane is just a notch above OTCs.

Indeed, some non-OTC entry-level blends like MB's 7 Seas do contain noticeably amounts of additives, although not as grossly noticeably as Capt. Black or Borkum Riff.

Quality aromatics are very low on ARTIFICIAL humectants and additives. I don't get funny aftertastes with Sillem's or Vauen's blends or with the higher quality aros from MacBaren.

Indeed, the funny aftertaste resulting from the additives in Carter Hall led Russ Ouellette to avoid such chemicals when creating his match, Chatham Manor—which I found particularly underwhelming: if Chatham Manor is a better-tasting 'version' of CH, I don't want to ever smoke the real thing.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
C'mon, you probably know that by humectants I mean artificial additives, like PG. By additives I also mean chemical crap that can impart the tobacco a chemical aftertaste, which some have noticed in Carter Hall and I've personally tasted in Lane's products, particularly BCA. Lane is just a notch above OTCs.

Indeed, some non-OTC entry-level blends like MB's 7 Seas do contain noticeably amounts of additives, although not as grossly noticeably as Capt. Black or Borkum Riff.

Quality aromatics are very low on ARTIFICIAL humectants and additives. I don't get funny aftertastes with Sillem's or Vauen's blends or with the higher quality aros from MacBaren.

Indeed, the funny aftertaste resulting from the additives in Carter Hall led Russ Ouellette to avoid such chemicals when creating his match, Chatham Manor—which I found particularly underwhelming: if Chatham Manor is a better-tasting 'version' of CH, I don't want to ever smoke the real thing.

There you have it.

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
I'm like you..but a couple years in. I started with Peterson Sunset Breeze which I found to have too much bite at first so I tried a very mellow Sutliff Christmas Spice and another vanilla aromatic that I really liked. I don't smoke more than once or twice a week and am just now getting to where I want to try more "serious" tobaccos. Thankfully I didn't throw out my Peterson Sunset Breeze and recently tried it again and was surprised how much I now like it. My palette is developing...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
There you have it.
Yup, and I must add, as a public service to the OP, that drying the tobacco prior to smoking, as is widely suggested here, is mission impossible with some OTCs and Lane's blends. I've left BCA sitting out there for over an hour and it just won't dry, whereas Vauen's blends will be bone dry (and ruined) in 30 min (I normally give them 15 min; remember: aromatics cannot be dried too much lest they lose flavour). Again, excess and/or type of humectants used is the problem.

Also, to be fair, humectants are not necessarily evil: they're needed for the tobacco to have a viable shelf life and PG is also fungistatic. The problem is with the amounts those damn pouches pack.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Greetings from London! I'm new here and to pipe smoking so please be gentle.

I've ordered a Hardcastle Camden briar pipe and all the accessories. Now I'm stuck on what tobacco to buy. I've been doing some reading and I know it's difficult to recommend anything until I've found my taste, so if you'd be so kind, please could I have your recommendations for a starter Aromatic, Virginia and English for someone who has never smoked a cigarette in their life. From what I understand, I might have to leave the English blends until after my palette can appreciate more complex flavours.

To give you a little more info, I like IPAs, would prefer to lay off the latakia for now and prefer something a bit sweeter, milder, low in nicotine and doesn't smoke hot. A pleasant room note would also be preferable but not vital.

Finally, to be a pain, I'd be grateful for the recommendations to be limited to tobaccos that I can purchase in the UK. I have heard a lot of talk about Lane Limited BCA/ 1Q but I don't think it's available to me here and I'd rather not have to import, especially when just starting out.

Many thanks!

Ignore these arguing knuckleheads. Since you live in the land of tobacco glory, try some Gawith, Hoggarth and Co. Exclusive Black Cherry. Wonderfully mild with no tongue bite. While you are at the tobacco shop, ask them what other blends they have like that. Pick up a few ounces of different ones.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
*Olkofri slaps hauntedmyst around a bit with an aromatic trout (cherry flavour)

While you are at the tobacco shop, ask them what other blends they have like that. Pick up a few ounces of different ones.
Actually, this is best way to proceed, really. Go to the B&M and do as Gandalf suggested, "follow your nose".

Only... the UK is under lockdown right now, so you probably can't go to the tobacconist. :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: shanez
Jan 27, 2020
Since you're in the UK I would buy some Skiff Mixture. If you find that it’s not for you I would say it’s a good indication that the pipe won’t be your thing. I’m a relatively new pipe smoker and I am glad I was fortunate enough to have that as my first smoke.

Reactions: stevecourtright

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Whatever you buy, getting your technique right is probably more important than the tobacco you choose. That said, a ribbon cut is probably a better choice to start with. Flakes can be a bit more finicky (more trial and error) to get working.

Things that made a huge difference for me were:
1. Dry the tobacco 15-20 minutes before packing.
2. Do a test draw after packing. It should feel like drinking soda through a straw. If it is too loose or too tight, just empty and start again.
3. Try to take small sips rather than big draws. If the pipe goes out, just light it again. If the pipe gets too hot, let it go out and cool down before you light it again. Try not to draw purely to stop the pipe from going out.

Welcome to the hobby and enjoy! Part of the fun is experimenting until you get it right.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
www.tobaccoreviews.com is really handy, maybe filter out high nicotine blends since you are coming from a non smoking background. Otherwise, pick whatever stands out, whatever your starting point you will refine your choices along the way...in other words, I cant help ya! ;)

howag93

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Thanks a lot for all the replies and recommendations! As olkofri rightly pointed out, the UK is currently under lockdown, so it is unlikely I'll be able to get to a tobacconist for the next few weeks at least. I'll start out with some G&H Kentucky Nougat and and wait till some corn cobs arrive to try some other blends as well. Wish me luck!

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
He said available in
I would NOT start with aromatics, if i could go back i would change that for myself. Get you some OTC blends (over the counter), you can find these online, if not over any counter.

Five Brothers
Prince albert
Carter Hall
Granger
Half and half

In my opinion, and its just that, an opinion. These are easiest to burn right and enjoy.
Uk not one of these are unfortunately
why not go for a sampler
here is one,they do others use the search facility

howag93

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Update: I caved and went with an ounce of 1Q, BCA, 7 Seas (Black) and Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, SG Squadron Leader and GH Kentucky Nougat. So as you can see, for the most part, I went full noob aromatic starter! Also, no additional tax or customs needed which I assumed I would have to pay, so very cheap for me!

Although some people suggested staying away from aromatics (and I appreciate their views), I decided to go for something which had a mild tobacco taste to ease me into it. As a non-smoker, even just the smell of squadron leader seems a bit intimidating although I'm aware taste and smells are very different.

Will update you guys on my thoughts on the tobacco choices when I get the chance to try! Slightly worried I'm just going to hate it from the start!

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Those are all great tobaccos. I have smoked a pipe (off and on) for 40 years and I still like 1Q, which is the very first tobacco I tried (now I typically mix it 50/50 with BCA). Good luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Buy a variety (over time) in small quantities for about two years, to find what you like, but knowing that your tastes will change. Jar what you don't like and try it again in a year. I think it is easier if you start with mild unflavored (no non-tobacco flavoring). Orlik Golden Sliced would give you an example of Virginia, and Amphora Burley would sample burley. Be gradual in sampling and smoking. Find the enjoyment, since that's the point, and only get ambitious as you go along, if ever. Hardcastle is one of the pipes I really like but don't own; I own too many. Welcome.

Reactions: howag93

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Greetings from London! I'm new here and to pipe smoking so please be gentle.

I've ordered a Hardcastle Camden briar pipe and all the accessories. Now I'm stuck on what tobacco to buy. I've been doing some reading and I know it's difficult to recommend anything until I've found my taste, so if you'd be so kind, please could I have your recommendations for a starter Aromatic, Virginia and English for someone who has never smoked a cigarette in their life. From what I understand, I might have to leave the English blends until after my palette can appreciate more complex flavours.

To give you a little more info, I like IPAs, would prefer to lay off the latakia for now and prefer something a bit sweeter, milder, low in nicotine and doesn't smoke hot. A pleasant room note would also be preferable but not vital.

Finally, to be a pain, I'd be grateful for the recommendations to be limited to tobaccos that I can purchase in the UK. I have heard a lot of talk about Lane Limited BCA/ 1Q but I don't think it's available to me here and I'd rather not have to import, especially when just starting out.

Many thanks!

For an aromatic I would recommend my favorite to anyone, beginner or veteran, and that is Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. American Delight. It is a very mild blend and you'd almost have to be trying to get tongue bite for it to bite you. It has a very pleasant sweet taste. It always makes me thing "candy bar" although not any specific bar. I have found GH&C aromatics to be very much less wet, or goopy, than other brands (you'll note all of the conversation here about added humectants). I smoke this particular blend straight out of the tin, or bag in my case, without any dry time and those that want it drier shouldn't have to give it much dry time. Additionally, since you mentioned it, I will never touch Lane 1-Q again after trying this blend. I've got a few ounces of 1-Q I haven't been able to give away yet.

For an English I would recommend Arango Balkan Supreme if you can get it. It's cheap but better than so many other blends. It's around $2-$3 per oz here in the US. Even though you mention avoiding Latakia for now I would still recommend getting an oz to at least try. I'm not a big fan of Latakia but really enjoy this blend and find that it helps breakup the monotony of smoking mostly aromatics and VaPers. It kind of "resets" my palate , if you will.

For a Virginia I would recommend a VaPer instead as I have more familiarity with them. For that I consider Samuel Gawith St James Flake to be the best VaPer available although there are many, many close ones available. SG's Cabbie's Mixture being one of them. For just a Virginia you could try something like Capstan. I tried the gold for the first time over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

Whatever you choose remember there's no real "wrong" here. Relax and enjoy it. I often let my pipe go out on purpose and relight it rather than try to stoke it back up. I've found it's not only easier on my tongue but I get more flavor this way.

Also remember to dry your tobacco more than you think you should, pack it looser than you think you should, and adjust as you go. If you fell you've over-dried your tobacco a little bit, simply don't dry the next bowl as much. You can always dry it a little more as well. I prefer to use my tamper and pack the bowl more as I smoke. Some tobacco blends tend top expand once lit and won't stay lit once expanded.

Reactions: howag93