PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

howag93

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Greetings from London! I'm new here and to pipe smoking so please be gentle.

I've ordered a Hardcastle Camden briar pipe and all the accessories. Now I'm stuck on what tobacco to buy. I've been doing some reading and I know it's difficult to recommend anything until I've found my taste, so if you'd be so kind, please could I have your recommendations for a starter Aromatic, Virginia and English for someone who has never smoked a cigarette in their life. From what I understand, I might have to leave the English blends until after my palette can appreciate more complex flavours.

To give you a little more info, I like IPAs, would prefer to lay off the latakia for now and prefer something a bit sweeter, milder, low in nicotine and doesn't smoke hot. A pleasant room note would also be preferable but not vital.

Finally, to be a pain, I'd be grateful for the recommendations to be limited to tobaccos that I can purchase in the UK. I have heard a lot of talk about Lane Limited BCA/ 1Q but I don't think it's available to me here and I'd rather not have to import, especially when just starting out.

Many thanks!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
From what I understand, I might have to leave the English blends until after my palette can appreciate more complex flavours.
Some here will actually suggest you start with those, as they have less sugars and thus burn cooler, reducing tongue bite/burn.

Personally, I'd start with aromatics. Sure, they're more finicky but it's like learning to drive: if you learn on a standard you can drive an auto, but the converse is not possible.

I'll leave the recommendations for someone who is in the UK, but here's some reading you may find valuable: On Tongue Bite. Even if you're not dealing with tongue bite, there's info there regarding the pH of different tobaccos and pipe smoking thermodynamics.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Order smallest available quantities -- one ounce bulk, one pouch, one tin -- in the various genre. Orlik Golden Sliced is a mild Virginia Flake, just rub it out and don't pack too tight or smoke too fast, sip. The pouch tobaccos John Bull (minimal Latakia), Erin Go Bragh with Irish Whiskey, and Amphora Burley might be good starters, but you won't know your taste until you've tried around. Save any you don't like in jars, to keep them fresh, as your tastes may change. Peruse the online retail tobacco pages for recreation and learn about the different brands, blends, constituent tobaccos, strength, "room note," and read some reviews. It should all be fun and amusing, so stay in that lane. Enjoy.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I found that aromatics were poor to start with because they just tasted like cigarettes until my palate developed enough subtlety. Englishes were easiest as the flavours are generally right there, up front and center.

For a light, well-behaved, lowish nicotine, easily available English blend, my personal favourite is Presbyterian. It’s strong enough in flavour you’ll taste it, but not too strong that you’ll still taste it for three days like some strong Englishes.

Reactions: ovidsmuse
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I would NOT start with aromatics, if i could go back i would change that for myself. Get you some OTC blends (over the counter), you can find these online, if not over any counter.

Five Brothers
Prince albert
Carter Hall
Granger
Half and half

In my opinion, and its just that, an opinion. These are easiest to burn right and enjoy.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I would NOT start with aromatics, if i could go back i would change that for myself. Get you some OTC blends (over the counter), you can find these online, if not over any counter.

Five Brothers
Prince albert
Carter Hall
Granger
Half and half

In my opinion, and its just that, an opinion. These are easiest to burn right and enjoy.
Great recommendation for sure, but he may not be able to get those in the UK.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Great recommendation for sure, but he may not be able to get those in the UK.

Yea I wondered that after I posted. I wonder if they have blends similar to those across the pond?

Also i want to add, dont fool with anything related to Captain Black at first. That stuff probably runs off more smokers than taxes. Ive recently learned to find things I like in it, but it took much effort.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'd also start with the otc blends. They were easier to keep lit for me in the beginning.

This was my thinking. Some of the stuff I first ordered (aromatics) were like trying to burn asbestos insulation. That almost ran me off.. I do live in a high humidity climate, this could be partially to blame.