PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
At the 2019 West Coast Pipe Show, the sports book where most of us liked to congregate in years past, prohibited pipe smoking but still allowed cigarettes and cigars. When someone asked the manager why, he said it was because the pipe smoke was thicker and people had complained that it was blocking their view of the TVs hung up high in the room.
Okay, but I call bullshit on that excuse.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Until last year smoking was allowed in almost all restaurants and bars in my country and everyone was smoking cigarettes all over the place. I cannot recall ever encountering a pipe-specific smoking ban in my entire life though. Cigarettes would literally be smoked up until the second the food arrived at the table and then continued right after the meal. Often people at the table next to yours would chain-smoke while you were eating your lunch - nobody even gave it a second of thought. I remember cigars being smoked extremely rarely and cigar smokers would always get stares like "Is that really necessary?" from both non-smokers and (cigarette) smokers alike. I guess it had to do with people being used to the smell of cigarette smoke and generally considering cigar smoking as expensive, unnecessary and/or snobbish. I remember if one of my friends were to bring a cigar to a bar, we would tease him and ask him if he got a promotion at his job to throw money around like that - silly if I think about it now... puffy

While I was not particularly fond of (cigarette) smoking in restaurants, I very much miss the special atmosphere it created in bars. It gave most older bars a bit of a rugged character and homely touch, which I think is lacking now (after the indoors smoking ban). It did get me to quit cigarette smoking though, so there's that.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Until last year smoking was allowed in almost all restaurants and bars in my country and everyone was smoking cigarettes all over the place. I cannot recall ever encountering a pipe-specific smoking ban in my entire life though. Cigarettes would literally be smoked up until the second the food arrived at the table and then continued right after the meal. Often people at the table next to yours would chain-smoke while you were eating your lunch - nobody gave it a second of thought. I remember cigars being smoked extremely rarely and cigar smokers would always get stares like "Is that really necessary?" from both non-smokers and (cigarette) smokers alike. I guess it had to do with people being used to the smell of cigarette smoke and generally considering cigar smoking as expensive, unnecessary and/or snobbish. I remember if one of my friends were to bring a cigar to a bar, we would tease him and ask him if he got a promotion at his job to throw money around like that - silly if I think about it now... puffy
Actually it’s because cigar smoke is the most rank and choking smoke that there is. I can stand cig and pipe smoke but cigars ruin it. When I went to the smoking lounge at Iwan Ries I nearly had to leave because of the cigar stench. It’s horrible. When smoking one you don’t realize how bad it is for everyone around you.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ryszard

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My issue with the anti-smoking laws is that they are, in my best estimation, based on bunk "science" and misinformation. I don't believe second hand smoke is a bona fide risk. I believe it to be essentially a pretext. Conversely, motorcycle helmet laws, seatbelt laws, automatic firearms laws, etc. are all based upon tangible and bona fide public interests, notwithstanding my arguments against the nanny state in its entirety which I know you're already familiar with, so I won't repeat them here.

As to the rights of people to not breathe smoke, they can choose not to patronize privately-owned establishments that (would) permit smoking.

In practice, I don't really mind a bit of regulation, but I think we've gotten to the point in the anti-smoking laws that they've crossed the thresh hold of absurdity, especially by banning smoking in privately-owned establishments such as bars. If you're terribly concerned about your health, you don't belong in a bar in the first place.
dude I've known so many people that never smoked themselves but lived with smokers and got smokers diseases. And it makes sense because you're going to breath in the smoke one way or the other, ironically second hand smoke can often be inhaled deeper because it's not really being regulated by intentionally breathing it in. It's not like second hand smoke can't go into the lungs. And yeah the rates of disease aren't really comparable to the same disease in smokers but it's still significantly higher then for people who don't spend a lot of time around second hand smoke. So yeah for it to be a serious issue you've have to live with smokers or work with them.

Reactions: BROBS