PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
While I am no fan of the KBV blends or their cosplay blend names I do like their free shipping and am inclined drunk or not to order a single tin even if its 1.50 more from other retailers. I would also spur me to try more blends if it were available from other retailers although I have no insight how it works out financially for KBV.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I don't understand, have you actually tried a KBV blend? He doesn't tin anything, it's all mylar bags. At $15 a bag for two ounces I'd say the shipping is already factored into the price. There's no such thing as "free" shipping. You're always paying for it one way or another.

Jan 27, 2020
I don't understand, have you actually tried a KBV blend? He doesn't tin anything, it's all mylar bags. At $15 a bag for two ounces I'd say the shipping is already factored into the price. There's no such thing as "free" shipping. You're always paying for it one way or another.

Yes I've tried a handful but I'm speaking of the tins and such he stocks (such as Kringle Flake) which are a couple bucks more than competitors. I am willing to occasionally buy a tin from him for $16 which might be $12+ $6 shipping from some other site and not feel like an ass financially.

Last edited:

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I think he meant the tins sold under "Other People's Blends." After a bunch of hemming and hawing, I grabbed ten of the Cringle Flake from him when I saw a price break at that quantity.

Agree on the shipping - buying 2 oz makes his blends a rare treat vs something I would cellar heavily. I wonder if he offers shipping discounts for volume purchases? That might inspire me to order 20 oz of something instead of 2 or 4.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would also spur me to try more blends if it were available from other retailers although I have no insight how it works out financially for KBV.
You answered it when you mentioned:
am inclined drunk or not to order a single tin even if its 1.50 more from other retailers
It's not free, it's built into the price structure.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 27, 2020
The irony of posters complaining about paying for shipping on one hand...and the demise of brick and mortar is laughable.

There is no free lunch.

I don't see it as complaining about paying shipping but commenting on the different practices online retailers use to entice buyers. Your statement and eagerness to make a point seem a bit garbled at best.

Jan 27, 2020
I routinely buy from Bosewell's whose shipping is above that of other retailers, would likely visit if I lived nearby not only to save on shipping but because I enjoy the experience of buying in person, but this thread wasn't created to complain about any retailers shipping charges but to make the observation that the way one orders tobacco is influenced by how a retailer passes along the shipping costs.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I don't see it as complaining about paying shipping but commenting on the different practices online retailers use to entice buyers. Your statement and eagerness to make a point seem a bit garbled at best.

Garbled. Not sure how I could be any more clear. To come on a public forum and flame the vendor for just trying to make a living is weak sauce. Shipping costs money. It's not he same as walking into the store and walking out. Don't purchase from the guy, that's fine. But to try and take him down is BS.

Jan 27, 2020
Garbled. Not sure how I could be any more clear. To come on a public forum and flame the vendor for just trying to make a living is weak sauce. Shipping costs money. It's not he same as walking into the store and walking out. Don't purchase from the guy, that's fine. But to try and take him down is BS.

Sorry, I didn't know you had an issue with reading comprehension and didn't mean to make light of it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, yes I know its not free in a definitive way but neither is ordering 5 tins of something you may not really want in order to get free shipping. Like most everything it's all about perspective.
I don't ever order 5 tins of something I don't want in order to get "free" shipping. That's paying extra for "free", which is nonsensical. I buy what I want and sometimes I qualify for "free" shipping and sometimes I don't.

Bottom line: There's nothing free about free shipping. You've paid for the shipping either through an aggregate amount for a bulk purchase, or by the piece.

Last edited:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Agree on the shipping - buying 2 oz makes his blends a rare treat vs something I would cellar heavily. I wonder if he offers shipping discounts for volume purchases? That might inspire me to order 20 oz of something instead of 2 or 4.

He does. Even on his blends, like the other people's stuff, the more you buy, the more the price goes down. And then, to further confound things, he'll allow you to choose between one (free) sticker per blend or one sticker per pouch. So if you get 8oz of a blend, you can either choose one sticker for the entirety of it, or he'll give you one sticker for each of the 4 pouches. I like that so I can put 8oz into 4 different jars and have a sticker for each.

All this talk of how he's factoring in the shipping costs and mum's the word on the free stickers!

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier

I'm kinda lost, here. In the OP, he said, "I do like their free shipping..." He also said it made him inclined to purchase from the vendor in question. At what point was he flaming the vendor and trying to take him down? I'm just trying to see if I missed something somewhere...

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I did indeed misread. My apologies to the OP. Ready...fire...aim.

I am sitting here running black Friday orders off Amazon as we speak. I guess I'm cranky about free shipping.

Again, apologies.

I know the feeling. It was this same day last year that my cell phone gave up the ghost. I was supposed to leave and go back to work in Texas the next day. So I had to go to the Verizon store on Black Friday. I’m not sure I’ve ever been more frustrated. I’ve been professionally social distancing for over 20 years, so being hurled into society on that day, of all days, would have certainly impaired my judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.