PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A thin layer of carbonization is desirable to enhance the briar's natural fireproofing. The caked layer of ragged ash inside a pipe is not. A majority of smokers seem to like cake and find it improves the flavor of their smokes. I join the others above who scoop out the ash after a smoke and wipe out the chamber with the roughness of a paper towel (or napkins, or a tissue, depending on what's available). But I don't build cake. The think a carbon layer, which is not caked at all, does the job of cake. The pipe never needs reaming, so reamer damage is not an issue, and equally good, the chamber remains its original diameter through the life of the pipe. Cake building smokers take great satisfaction in letting the cake develop, and in reaming from time to time, and I sure don't begrudge them that. I just don't do it, and feel more satisfaction doing it my way, or the other way, along with many others.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I usually have a very thin layer of cake if any.
But I often wonder if the quality of briar makes any difference once a little cake is developed? It's often heard that some pipes are made with old or a certain kind of briar the makes them smoke better. But once there's a little cake lining the bowl, how does that make any difference, unless we ream back to bare wood each time we smoke? Or am I just being stupid and over thinking this? cray

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cake will make your pipe smoke cooler and if you dedicate your pipes your smokes will be tastier.
I like about a dimes worth of cake in my pipes.When I a, done smoking I let the pipe sit for either a few hours or over night and take a couple of fluffy pipe cleaners double them over and wipe out any ash or left over tobacco. My cake builds quickly and is really hard. I smoke flakes and plugs exclusively and in my expedience cake forms quickly and it insulates my pipe very nicely.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I smoke flakes and plugs exclusively and in my expedience cake forms quickly and it insulates my pipe very nicely.

Any recommendations for English flakes? I've tried out MBHH Latakia flake and Gawith Balkan flake. Both were decent, but a little flat to my taste.

Reactions: jpmcwjr