PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
When you surface from the pipe trance after a nirvana smoke what do you find is more common? The pipe and the tobacco just really clicked thus causing the experience, or the circumstances surrounding that bowl which primed you for the experience. Say you finished a home project, you got the job you wanted, etc. Or is it both? For me at least, these nirvana smokes are more often related to the circumstances and very rarely mattered what specifically was in the bowl.

Reactions: UncleRasta and STP

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Maslow’s Theory, “Hierarchy of Needs” applies here. In essence, higher learning or in this case, “enjoyment ” cannot take place until base needs have been satisfied.

For me though, these nirvana smokes result from flavor. If a pipe tastes great, it’s a stop what your doing and smoke moment.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Below is where I get my Nirvana, but kidding aside, I’d say that it’s a bowl that only requires one light... where it’s perfectly packed, and the tobacco is primed for a slow and steady burn ?
DCB52513-93A7-4B9F-8741-899F47E223F5.gif

Reactions: SoddenJack

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Maslow’s Theory, “Hierarchy of Needs” applies here. In essence, higher learning or in this case, “enjoyment ” cannot take place until base needs have been satisfied.

For me though, these nirvana smokes result from flavor. If a pipe tastes great, it’s a stop what your doing and smoke moment.
I've never considered Maslow's Theory in relation to a pipe. That's an interesting insight though, one which I think I'll need a pipe to sit and consider...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My nirvana smokes often arise from ordinary circumstances when my routine is broken by a really good blend, a good pack, a good burn, and the surprise that those can induce. Today I took some well-rubbed Peterson Irish Flake, which I like for itself, and mixed condimental pinches of C&D Cigar Leaf and PS Black Cavendish, that made the Irish Flake burn much better and more evenly and added some quiet complexity in a good way, the best smoke I've had this month anyway. Luckily, I have enough for another bowl or two. When I'm elated about something else, I enjoy a smoke, but I am often so involved in the pleasure of the moment that I don't focus on the pipe. I'm sure this is different from person to person. tg51, your avatar reminded me that General George enjoyed a pipe; I'd forgotten that.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Below is where I get my Nirvana, but kidding aside, I’d say that it’s a bowl that only requires one light... where it’s perfectly packed, and the tobacco is primed for a slow and steady burn ?
View attachment 54871
I was wondering how long it would take :LOL:. But I understand your thought, nothing will derail a trace like reaching for a lighter to relight, or a pick to adjust the air flow.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
My nirvana smokes often arise from ordinary circumstances when my routine is broken by a really good blend, a good pack, a good burn, and the surprise that those can induce. Today I took some well-rubbed Peterson Irish Flake, which I like for itself, and mixed condimental pinches of C&D Cigar Leaf and PS Black Cavendish, that made the Irish Flake burn much better and more evenly and added some quiet complexity in a good way, the best smoke I've had this month anyway. Luckily, I have enough for another bowl or two. When I'm elated about something else, I enjoy a smoke, but I am often so involved in the pleasure of the moment that I don't focus on it. I'm sure this is different from person to person.
When you "parfait" tobacco blends so to speak, what do you usually look for? I've never experimented with the idea before. Do you look more for blends that will compliment/diversify and build depth? Or is it more of a random "I feel like these" kind of moment?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hmm

I’ve always thought that the ‘5 Senses’ to a certain degree, with all of them in motion, will shape our perceptions.

Take any of them away, I’m sure perception will vary to certain degrees.

Maybe the question for everyone’s mind would be, do you tune into, favor any of the Senses, that can alter perception, bringing about your altered awareness, or do you find yourself, no matter the situation or circumstances, capable of tuning them out, and only in tune with your senses, as far as the smoking experience goes, and nothing else.

To answer your question, I don’t consider the word ‘Common’, in my life, for me personally the experience is ever changing, but when I see things repeating as Common, sometimes I think it’s a Human thing of keeping connection to the good things of the past we like to hang on to, and hope to repeat over again and again in our life.

So my answer is not definitive, it’s always changing from moment to moment.

Last edited:

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ve enjoyed a pipe so much, I only realized it was through when the draw became loose.

To the OP’s point, I was sitting by a pool, amidst friends on a summer night after an entire day of fun, awaiting coffee and dessert

However, to my point, if I couldn’t “taste” that pipe and it was “flavorless,” I wouldn’t recall the memory.

Last edited:

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I've never considered Maslow's Theory in relation to a pipe. That's an interesting insight though, one which I think I'll need a pipe to sit and consider...
TG51,
Love the Patton Pic!

You get flat tire, in the rain, and arrive at a class soaking wet, just as your girlfriend calls and starts an argument.

Would you be able to focus and retain much from that class. (Higher learning)

Would you be able to focus on and enjoy your pipe? (Enjoyment)

AAA repairs the tire, you get a hot shower and change of clothes, your girl says she’s sorry and she’s gonna adjust your mood later.

Now ask those questions.

Maslow.

Reactions: tg51

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I can't define the particulars but I realize it when it happens and it makes me look forward to the next one. I think we can over analyze things too much. Just enjoy the experience.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
T
TG51,
Love the Patton Pic!

You get flat tire, in the rain, and arrive at a class soaking wet, just as your girlfriend calls and starts an argument.

Would you be able to focus and retain much from that class. (Higher learning)

Would you be able to focus on and enjoy your pipe? (Enjoyment)

AAA repairs the tire, you get a hot shower and change of clothes, your girl says she’s sorry and she’s gonna adjust your mood later.

Now ask those questions.

Maslow.
That is an apt summary. From personal experience two things come to mind. The best cigarette (desperate times and all...) I ever smoked was soaking wet, huddled under a poncho in the middle of the woods with four of my buddies on the coldest night of an exercise. The greatest cup of coffee I've ever had was made from dehydrated powder and heated on top of an MRE heat pack the following morning. Waking up in a four inch puddle wrapped in that same poncho, drinking luke-warm MRE coffee. Would those two have been as enjoyable if I was warm, dry and under a roof? I can say for a fact no.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
My nirvana smokes came when I least expected them, because I didn't really know how to smoke a pipe and when it suddenly worked, it felt marvellous.
I don't feel that way anymore. I like to smoke and I do it a lot, but what I used to think of as nirvana smokes are just smokes now.
I get moments when I'm suddenly more aware of something good. This morning as I walked my little girl to school, she started singing and we were holding hands and I thought about how I would want this moment to stick in my memory. I wasn't smoking at that moment, but if I did, it might have been a "nirvana smoke".
So I think it is a mindset. Sometimes we are more awake, so to speak.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
TG51
This is a great thread!
Eddie Gray from the Pipe Nook related in a vid that if tobacco disappeared and he was left with any one tobacco, that he’d still be a smoker and be happy because, for him, personally, it’s the action of smoking that he enjoys. He likes every aspect from fiddling with the tobacco to the act of piping itself.

Me? No. Totally seeking flavor. Flavor is everything in a smoke or I wound’nt do it.

Then we have collectors who enjoy that part of this hobby.

No one is wrong.

It’s how individuals relax and pursue happiness. For some, it’s that brand new pipe, for others the taste of tobacco, others the act of piping and for the nic addicted, a means to toss cigarettes.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
TG51
This is a great thread!
Eddie Gray from the Pipe Nook related in a vid that if tobacco disappeared and he was left with any one tobacco, that he’d still be a smoker and be happy because, for him, personally, it’s the action of smoking that he enjoys. He likes every aspect from fiddling with the tobacco to the act of piping itself.

Me? No. Totally seeking flavor. Flavor is everything in a smoke or I wound’nt do it.

Then we have collectors who enjoy that part of this hobby.

No one is wrong.

It’s how individuals relax and pursue happiness. For some, it’s that brand new pipe, for others the taste of tobacco, others the act of piping and for the nic addicted, a means to toss cigarettes.
It is nice to see varied interest in pipe smoking, especially on the forum. Wide array of opinions to be sure.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
My nirvana smokes often arise from ordinary circumstances when my routine is broken by a really good blend, a good pack, a good burn, and the surprise that those can induce.

This. I just had one with SWR in a cob. It doesn't need to be fancy for me, just a blend that scratches the itch and a well executed pack/pipe/smoke.