Nice looking, not too expensive dark pipes.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
I'm looking to add a nice pipe to my collection, some of you know I only have two so far, and neither are anything special.
I am looking for something that looks good and smokes good, though I have a max of $100 Canadian to spend on it.
I did find this one, which looks nice to me, especially with that dark almost black looking finish:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/vauen/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=300752
You can use that as an example of what I am looking for, but a cherry wood would work as well, may even be open to a nice churchwarden as well.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
At SP.com they have a "pipe locator" which you can use to narrow your search.

At that price range, I'd look at the offerings from Savinelli/Rossi, Stanwell and Chacom too.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Might check out Tsuge, one of the best pipes I ever purchased at any price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stanwells, Savinelli, and Petersons are all worth considering, but also look at French brands like Chacom, BC, and Genod which give a lot of value for the prices. My avatar pictures a Savinelli 601 non-filtered churchwarden I like a lot. If you'd like a good small churchwarden, Iwan Ries offers EWA pipes for around $38 which are much higher quality than their price would suggest. Shop a lot and find something that really appeals to you, among the known brands. Iwan Ries house pipes are now made by Genod and look good too.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
tenton - - - is that your tsuge in the picture?
I have a Tsuge tasting 23 and it always smokes better than I remembered. Big fan for the money. There's one on SP right now that has a great blast.
That being said, I'm not really one for a lacquered/shiny varnished look like the one in the OP. I like matte finishes - for whatever reason the matte reminds me that the pipe is for the utility. I'd be more touchy probably nearly obsessive with pipes that were storefront jewelry store shiny

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
I'd be remiss to say I think my Vauen smokes better than my Tsuge. I have a rosewood that's absolutely killer. I've only owned white dotted Vauens because I'm superstitious.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Brooklyn, yeah that's a 21 Tasting in my avatar. Funny, I was just looking at that 23 Tasting ring grain Pot at SP too, guess that's the one you're referring too?
The Tsuge's I have are perfectly drilled, no whistling stems or stummels, etc. and and smoke just fine, better than some high dollar jobs I've had.
Not crazy about filter pipes, but when I want a filter pipe of sorts to tame a bitey or slightly harsh tobacco, I put a little activated carbon in the bottom of the bowl before filling with tobacco. Unconventional, but works for me.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
Thanks for the options guys, they all look good.
Olkofri, that pipe you have looks amazing, from my experience so far, I think I like filters, but it's still good that the adapter is only a few dollars.
New is preferred but estates are okay, if they're good.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
+ 1 for mso489, it might turn out that those Savinellis,Stanwells and French names may offer somewhat better quality/price ratio than the German Vauen Brand does, yet I'm under the impression Vauens are traditionally quite expensive pipes and in accordance with the German traditions, they all come as filter pipes here in EU

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Here's a French made Ropp pipe, dark sandblast with horn stem. Nice looking for that price range
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Ropp/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=279730

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
I found this nice peterson that is just at the top of my budget:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=276425

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
MSO mentioned a while ago, in a different post, that it's best to to take your time and really, really do your research. You will make a more informed purchase, and besides, it's half the fun. I wish I had done that when I first started out; I would have fewer but better pipes!

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
mau1, thanks, yes that's smart, I didn't think of that.
I'm going to sit on it over the weekend at least and look over a few candidates before making a decision.
Thankfully, there's a store called victorypipes.ca that is about 2 hours away from me, so it is within Canada, and shipping should be relatively cheap and inexpensive.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
From the first post:
002-457-3747.5110.jpg

From DavidinTx's post:
002-598-5624.3611.jpg

From twiggy's post:
002-029-37219.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you gents would take the link you posted, and put it into an IMG tag in the first place, you'd save readers time and a small bit of effort in opening another page, and returning to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.