PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
On some, but not all smokes, I seem to experience a sudden or more elevated nic hit at the end of the pipe. Is this a function of the effect sneaking up on me over the course of the smoke (similar to alcohol) or a concentration of nicotine in the bottom of the bowl that has a greater impact when the ember gets to it? Thanks!

Because nicotine is much more slowly ingested through the small blood vessels of the mouth than the lungs, it is slower hitting AND it continues to be absorbed for a while after you stop[ smoking. Pipes are definitely not a quick fix, but you are more slowly ingesting way much more nicotine over a longer period of time than a cigarette.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
kinda what cosmic said. Any thing you put in your system takes your blood and travels around the body to get to the brain. The lungs take blood right to the heart then the brain. Takes about a minute or so for a red cell to get through the whole system. So basically what he said plus one more thing. This is also part of why pipes are more relaxing. Anything introduced to the central nervous system slowly has a different effect then same thing dumped in quickly. Example slam some shots one night and then a few days latter sip the same quantity of alcohol and see which time you get a little crazier during. You know that guy that can't drink tequila cause it makes him crazy, it's not the tequila it's the method of ingestion. And you'll notice you got just as drunk both times but the second is a more clear headed controlled type of drunk.

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
Yeah I don’t mind it, it was more out of curiosity wondering if I left the end of the bowl unsmoked, would I still notice. Thanks all for the info!

Reactions: JOHN72

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I throw nicotine pouches in my lip all day long. I couldn’t tell you what a pipe nic hit feels like anymore. It’s like a meth addict having a diet pepsi.
Are you talking about the nicotine salts? I’m really digging those, my preferred brand is Zyn, it tingles like dip but you don’t need a spit cup and don’t need to worry about dip getting stuck in between your teeth. The other brand I’ve tried is On, they are alright, have great flavors but they don’t give the tingle that I enjoy so much.

Reactions: r4wk5t4r

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Are you talking about the nicotine salts? I’m really digging those, my preferred brand is Zyn, it tingles like dip but you don’t need a spit cup and don’t need to worry about dip getting stuck in between your teeth. The other brand I’ve tried is On, they are alright, have great flavors but they don’t give the tingle that I enjoy so much.
Yep, I use Zyn 6 mostly, and On! 8 mils when I need a nice hit. Good stuff.

Reactions: hawky454

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Often when you just start feeling a nic hit there's still more to come since some is still being metabolized. So if you don't want it to get too much worse you may want to put the pipe down for a little while.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
For over 35 years I smoked strong cigs and cigars and am unable to recall being affected by nicotine.
Since ditching a 30-40 a day cigarette habit over 11 years ago, I avoid nicotine by only smoking mild blends [Also important since I inhale]
Now when a mate offers me a blend with mild to medium nicotine I start to feel the Vit N after a few puffs.
Strong blends would probably turn me green :eek:

Reactions: elvishrunes

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I always notice the hit near the end of a bowl or even starting a second right away as well…. I always attributed that to the slow cumulative effect, not that the nic all fell to the bottom of the bowl. Same thing happens with a cigar too, about 3/4 of the way through I feel the glow…

Reactions: chopper