Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I generally "break in" new pipes by filling all the way to the top, and smoking slowly all the way to the bottom. Not much science to it. I don't use particularly aromatic blends, usually a straight VA or a Va/Per. I'm sure a Burley blend would work fine too.

I don't recommend filling halfway or 3/4 way. If you do this a few times at the start, you'll have an uneven cake. Just be especially careful with the lighter to make sure you don't scorch the rim if that's a concern.

And enjoy! A new pipe is always a good day!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I like to break in a new pipe by smoking it the same as I would any other pipe. Even blends that people consider "ghosty" aren't a worry for me since I tend not to smoke the same blend over and over in the same pipe.

Just smoke it and rotate your blends and you'll be fine.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I'm a newby so please help me out if this is not in the proper place.

I have finally spent a few dollars on a new pipe. I have less than 10 pipes and most of them are cobbs. I never worried about break-in on a $12 pipe, just filled it up and went about my way.

I don't want to mess my new pipe up. I'm trying to decide the best blend to use. It's hard for me since I don't know how it will smoke. I smoked some Orlik in a pipe yesterday that I had only smoked Ol Toby and was reminded about ghosting.

Any tips on break in would be appreciated. I will probably smoke aero\ sweeter blends in this one. I have one dedicated to anything with Lat in it and anything goes with my cobbs mostly. Exception was the one I was using for Ol Toby.

Thanks in advance,

Cotton1
I own dozens of pipes...briars (cheap and expensive) and cobs, I've never worried about 'breaking one in'...just do what you did to the cobs, put tobacco in it and smoke it. As for ghosting, I know the concept, but never actually experienced it because I don't smoke aromatics. If you are afraid of it with this new pipe, then smoke all your aromatics out of one of the cobs instead.

Reactions: Cotton1

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
There's no magic, or frailness that you have to treat the pipe with kid gloves. Why use any other tobacco than the ones you would normally smoke. If you smoke that shitty Prince Albert, then smoke some shitty Prince Albert. But, I'll be damned if I want that nasty taste in a brand new pipe.

Get over the superstitious BS! Smoke it!!

If I can trust my memories the advice breaking in a pipe by smoking it with successivly increasing tobacco loads came from A.H. Dunhill written in his book 'The Gentle Art Of Smoking',1954) .That made sense in those days when pipes were made of other woods than briar. In the beginning these pipes had a bad taste . So wealthy persons gave their new pipe plus tobacco to one of their servants to break in this pipe and smoke it as long as the bad taste was gone.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I guess I don't know what to expect from the briar itself. Will the pipe lend a different flavor/ aroma than I experience in my cobbs?

I'm smoking my Country Gentleman today while drilling grain in the pasture. Started with the MacBarron Vanilla and now on BCA.

I think I might give the new pipe a try this evening with either Haunted Bookshop or Boswell's vanilla. Those are two of my favorites.

Cotton1

Reactions: jpmcwjr

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
I get a chuckle out of cosmicfolklore's assessment of the situation but I must disagree with the statement that overthinking is the bane of pipe smoking. Indeed, it's all I've done this last little while! It's been good for the book. I've decided the enchanted teaspoon shall die in the end.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I get a chuckle out of cosmicfolklore's assessment of the situation but I must disagree with the statement that overthinking is the bane of pipe smoking. Indeed, it's all I've done this last little while! It's been good for the book. I've decided the enchanted teaspoon shall die in the end.
I guess the devil is in the details and the key part here is the over of overthinking. It's a balancing act.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Don't stress too much. In my opinion, it's more about getting the pipe to taste right than for the sake of the pipe itself.

I usually smoke through a pouch of Carter Hall or Prince Albert to break in a new pipe, but I think it's more of a ritual than an actual break-in process. I just load it up like normal (by cramming the tobacco in the hole until it feels right) and smoke it like I normally would.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
overthinking is the bane of pipe smoking.
Overthinking packs a bowl too tightly or too loosely. It can cause overheated chambers and scorched tongues. It can cause scorched rims, gurgles, and over tamping. Drop tobacco into the chamber, tap the heel on you palm, light, and enjoy. Putting too much thought into it can make you miss many amazing smokes.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I had two bowls in it last night. I got a hint of spice that I assume was from the pipe itself. I filled it up for both bowls.

Seemed to smoke cool enough. I gave it some time on the few relights but never felt like the bowl was getting hot.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Congrats on the journey! Most people, myself included, smoke what are called "codger" blends when breaking in a pipe. Old school blends like Carter Hall and Prince Albert. I like the mild flavor of them and it seems like any lingering flavor in a pipe from those would not do harm

I have been breaking in a couple of pipes recently after going years without getting any new ones. In addition to the above-mentioned Blends, I have also used Storm Front.

It is a really good nouveau codger blend available at 4Noggins online. It's great for All Purpose use.

Reactions: Cotton1

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Maybe defining what "breaking in" is would be helpful? For me what I mean by breaking in is smoking a new pipe until any weird new flavor in the pipe is gone.

Some new pipes have to be smoked a lot before they allow the subtle nuances of different blends to come out.

I have a new pipe that I have smoked about 25 bowls in. It looks great, but all the different blends I have used in it all taste the same. So for me, this pipe is not broken in yet.

Reactions: seanv and jpmcwjr

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Overthinking packs a bowl too tightly or too loosely. It can cause overheated chambers and scorched tongues. It can cause scorched rims, gurgles, and over tamping. Drop tobacco into the chamber, tap the heel on you palm, light, and enjoy. Putting too much thought into it can make you miss many amazing smokes.
Well I meant more for after you've sussed all that out. To be honest, the preparation is quite simple by now. I don't fuss over the pack and I can usually keep a pipe lit with the tamper after that first light. Perhaps my cannabis use helped there as there is usually some prep involved with that as well? But even during that part my mind tends to wander off and consider highly important things like whether or not the enchanted spoon should be able to talk or if it's simply animated. I think it's enough that the mug and teapot can talk, but it just seems right that the spoon should be mute, along with the sugar bowl. I was considering giving them names but I think simply calling what they are is quaint enough. Oh and what sort of pipe the Wizard smokes! That's an important tidbit.