PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I'm a newby so please help me out if this is not in the proper place.

I have finally spent a few dollars on a new pipe. I have less than 10 pipes and most of them are cobbs. I never worried about break-in on a $12 pipe, just filled it up and went about my way.

I don't want to mess my new pipe up. I'm trying to decide the best blend to use. It's hard for me since I don't know how it will smoke. I smoked some Orlik in a pipe yesterday that I had only smoked Ol Toby and was reminded about ghosting.

Any tips on break in would be appreciated. I will probably smoke aero\ sweeter blends in this one. I have one dedicated to anything with Lat in it and anything goes with my cobbs mostly. Exception was the one I was using for Ol Toby.

Thanks in advance,

Cotton1

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Fill, light, enjoy a SLOW smoke. I usually just use Prince Albert or 5 brothers when breaking in new pipes.
Is PA one of your favorites? Asking if that is the reason to use or is it just a plain blend that won't really cause a ghosting problem?

I have some PA cellared but rarely smoke it. When I won't a plain tobbacco I normally go to Haunted Bookshop.

Is getting a cool smoking blend what I should keep in mind?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I will have to learn about the cake. I pay the inside of the bowl no mind in my cheapo pipes mostly. I run a pipe cleaner through them after a bowl or two and once in a while twirl a paper towel around in the bowl.

You should still pay it no mind aside from reaming it if it builds up too much. Cake is a natural consequence of smoking your pipe. More than a very thin, hard layer is a nuisance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect many of the break-in recommendations are mostly ritual. Smoking a bowl or two half full can build some carbon in the lower chamber. I think any simple burley or Virginia blend will be fine. I've let the pipe shop owner coat the chamber with honey, but I don't do that at home. Mostly, pack and smoke gently is the ticket. Codger blends are good because mostly they stay lit.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Is PA one of your favorites? Asking if that is the reason to use or is it just a plain blend that won't really cause a ghosting problem?

I have some PA cellared but rarely smoke it. When I won't a plain tobbacco I normally go to Haunted Bookshop.

Is getting a cool smoking blend what I should keep in mind?

What mso489 said,I use PA because 95% of the time I can smoke it down to a fine white ash. I like the idea of the 1st few coats of carbon to be even. If it makes an actual difference, I'm not sure.

For every new pipe, I sacrifice one chicken, and fill the pipe with its feathers, then take the pipe to a graveyard to leave it on the tombstone of the oldest grave there, and then step on a crack, throw some salt over my shoulder, and then wait for the Seattle Mariners to win a World Series.

Why do anything different from what you would do with any of your other pipes? Just load it and smoke it. What is it with the loading half a bowl, do the hokey pokey folks?
You break in a pipe by smoking it (period)

There's no magic, or frailness that you have to treat the pipe with kid gloves. Why use any other tobacco than the ones you would normally smoke. If you smoke that shitty Prince Albert, then smoke some shitty Prince Albert. But, I'll be damned if I want that nasty taste in a brand new pipe.

Get over the superstitious BS! Smoke it!!

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
just smoke it.

I hear what you are saying. I rarely spend money on myself and even though this pipe was not very expensive it's something I have wanted for over a year.
I just want to learn a little and hopefully not mess it up through my ignorance.

I view the cheap ones as disposable and this one as it should last forever.

I wasn't sure if ghosting is more of a problem compared to the cobbs. I smoke a range of blends depending on my mood but not sure how the difference types of pipes effect the blends..or if it matters at all.

Cotton1

I hear what you are saying. I rarely spend money on myself and even though this pipe was not very expensive it's something I have wanted for over a year.
I just want to learn a little and hopefully not mess it up through my ignorance.

I view the cheap ones as disposable and this one as it should last forever.

I wasn't sure if ghosting is more of a problem compared to the cobbs. I smoke a range of blends depending on my mood but not sure how the difference types of pipes effect the blends..or if it matters at all.

Cotton1
Well, if you start smoking out with those codger blends in it, you're likely to ghost it with those, ha ha.

Just smoke what you like. If you like ABC blend, then smoke ABC blend, and it can't ghost, because you like it. When you get a ghost, you'll know. But, it's not the end of the world. Most ghosts can be removed by either smoking the pipe with something else or by just wiping out the bowl.

You are just as likely to burn the rim in the 70th smoke as you are the first few. I don't fret over this any more. Just hold the lighter above the rim, and draw the heat down. Don't be aiming the fire into the chamber. Any smoke stains or cake crawl that creeps up can easily be gotten off the rim by spitting on it and rubbing the rim over a piece of carpet or a piece of suede leather. I have a piece of 2x4 with a piece of leather stretched across it to clean my rims. It's really not a big deal unless you start burning it with a careless flame as you light, or try firing the flame directly inside the pipe, which is crazy!!!

Some people worry about getting cake in the bottom of the pipe, because they don't smoke all the way to the bottom. DUH!!! If you don't smoke all the way to the bottom, then what the fuck you need cake in there for?

Overthinking is a bane of pipesmoking existence, don't fall into that trap.

I get a new pipe, load it with my favorite and smoke it like it is 75 years old. I don't believe in the stupid break-in period. When is it broken in? What does that even mean? Just smoke it and enjoy.
The first few smokes in a briar are my favorites, because it really gives you an idea of what the aroma of that particular briar is going to be. Briar is why I am in to this. Briar makes it smell like pipesmoke, IMO. Savor it while it is new. Relish in that fresh briar. Man, now I wanna go buy me a new pipe, so that I can get that fresh briar flavor, mmmmmm.....

Enjoy the hell out of that pipe. And, stop killing chickens. puffy

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Well, if you start smoking out with those codger blends in it, you're likely to ghost it with those, ha ha.

Just smoke what you like. If you like ABC blend, then smoke ABC blend, and it can't ghost, because you like it. When you get a ghost, you'll know. But, it's not the end of the world. Most ghosts can be removed by either smoking the pipe with something else or by just wiping out the bowl.

You are just as likely to burn the rim in the 70th smoke as you are the first few. I don't fret over this any more. Just hold the lighter above the rim, and draw the heat down. Don't be aiming the fire into the chamber. Any smoke stains or cake crawl that creeps up can easily be gotten off the rim by spitting on it and rubbing the rim over a piece of carpet or a piece of suede leather. I have a piece of 2x4 with a piece of leather stretched across it to clean my rims. It's really not a big deal unless you start burning it with a careless flame as you light, or try firing the flame directly inside the pipe, which is crazy!!!

Some people worry about getting cake in the bottom of the pipe, because they don't smoke all the way to the bottom. DUH!!! If you don't smoke all the way to the bottom, then what the fuck you need cake in there for?

Overthinking is a bane of pipesmoking existence, don't fall into that trap.

I get a new pipe, load it with my favorite and smoke it like it is 75 years old. I don't believe in the stupid break-in period. When is it broken in? What does that even mean? Just smoke it and enjoy.
The first few smokes in a briar are my favorites, because it really gives you an idea of what the aroma of that particular briar is going to be. Briar is why I am in to this. Briar makes it smell like pipesmoke, IMO. Savor it while it is new. Relish in that fresh briar. Man, now I wanna go buy me a new pipe, so that I can get that fresh briar flavor, mmmmmm.....

Enjoy the hell out of that pipe. And, stop killing chickens. puffy

I appreciate it! You gave me a good chuckle.

I forgot to mention that my new pipe is a Bings favorite. I was disappointed to realize that bowl size is smaller than I am used to.

I am probably going to fill it with haunted bookshop or Boswell's vanilla cream. Those are two of my favorites so far.

I appreciate all the replies here. You all have made me feel welcome!