PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Although I'm not a frequent English lover, my brother is. I believe that two of the ones that he loves the most are "Presbyterian" and "Shepherd's Pie" from The Country Squire. I've actually had neither, but I do trust his judgement on English blends. In fact, he was the one who introduced me to Nightcap and Balkan Sasieni

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The hat: My sister bought this for me in Istanbul. She and her husband are significant travelers. It's referred to as a fez, but not the Shriner tall red fez with a tassel. I'm a hat collector. I have a beaver top hat, a derby, many brimmed hats, felt and straw, many caps including a Missouri Meerschaum door prize (high quality) I got at the TAPs pipe show, the last one they had. Some hats look pretty good, others have a comic edge (on me). You decide. Thanks for mentioning.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Update: After lots of feedback I realized I do have 3 blends I left out because they had either Cavendish or Burley or Turkish in them instead of just Oriental. So I am adding these to my English War for this week. These 3 blends are Big Ben Match, 965 Match, and Balkan Supreme. 3 bulks I have in my cellar. I tied 965 this morning and like it a lot. Tomorrow I will try Balkan Supreme, then Big Ben, then Balkan Sasieni. As several have stated (anotherbob), I think I am going to like most every English I try. I will try to identify my top 3 but may take a while.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Final Update: We’ll just as anotherbob stated they are all good. Unlike the Virginia battle this English War was more difficult. In past few days I tried

MM 965 Match - ****
Balkan Supreme - ****
Big Ben London Match - ****
Balkan Sasieni - ****

I am no longer sure that EMP is my favorite. It was my first Latakia so maybe that’s why I favor it, but a few of these others just might be smoother with less bite or more sweet. Big Ben was just yummy and I dont know whether coffee, or before food, or after food, etc does anything but I loved that smoke yesterday, but I don’t think I smoked a bad English yet. Maybe this is normal for English but I have a good variety to last me.

Next on my trials is VaPer’s.
I will start Saturday …

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I may have misinterpreted, but it seems like you might be seeking one you like at the least cost. I've tried a large % of all blends mentioned above and haven't found one I dislike. I'm smoking some of them daily and some I have multiple tins.

That being said, I purchased a # of Best of the Rest - English, jarred up most of it and left a smaller amount in a container for current smoking.

There are no glowing praises for any of it's characteristics, but sometimes I go to it as a sort of palate cleanser / baseline / reset. It is pleasant enough for it's purpose and cheap at $17 a pound.

Hence it's recommended for the bargain price, and I've read (and would presume) that each purchase will be slightly different than others. Sort of fun.

Reactions: Old_Newby

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
For me,the differences I taste between,say, Nightcap, EMP,Kramers English,etc,etc, is the difference between eenie and meenie. I simply cant tell that much of a difference. Proper English, Heavy English are of course stronger. But the lighter English blends are like women,turn em upside down and they all are the same. Lol

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
After stepping away and mixing in VaPer and Virginia and coming back to English I again love EMP and Match London (Big Ben). They are my 2 favorite English for now. I think I love them because they are mild and sweet. Last night I had some Balkan Supreme again and its not as sweet and a little more Lat forward so I am cellaring it. I probably will love it more as my palate matures. It’s a slow process but I am getting there. My plan is to jump around and keep trying all in each type. Below is my top 3 in each for now. No order.

English - EMP and Big Ben, ?
VaPer - OGS, Ann Cake, De Luxe Roll
Va - NM400, Derringer, 3 tied for 3rd
Burley - NM 80, Amphora, Edgeworth
Aro- Autumn Evening, Van Roll Cake
LatPer - holding off on these until I get more experience and above solidified.

Of course Stonehenge and Elizabethan and lots of others I like but just can list all in top 3.

If I had to choose a desert island choice I would have to go with EMP because it can be every day and includes sweet, sour, and Smokey elements.

Reactions: FLDRD