PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Ok over the last week I have been sampling English blends. To clarify each of these are made up of Virginia, Orientals/Turkish, and Latakia per the listings. None have burley or cavendish. The week prior I did a straight Virginia battle and wanted to get to train some thick creamy smoke. Hence English Wars.

My approach was to smoke them in order of which ones I felt smelled mildest up to the strongest. Thus the order listed below is that order, but I was surprised by one. Noting the exception to order is that I had already smoked EMP a few times and liked it so it was my baseline and first on my list.

Also all of these have been in mason jar for about 2-3 months, except EMP is still in it’s tin. None were dried before smoking. Noting all burned well to bottom of the bowl which I feel is a characteristic of English blends.

Early Morning Pipe - *** this was my first Latakia blend I smoked and loved it. I have smoked it about 8 times over past month.

Scotty’s University Professor - *** enjoyed it but noticed for my new tongue it’s more difficult to differentiate English Latakia blends from another. It seemed close to EMP but milder.

Sutliff Heavy English - ** and I smoked this at 9PM under the stars with a neat bourbon. It was definitely stronger. I enjoyed it but probably will not be my goto as I prefer milder versions. I may try this one again without bourbon, however I feel the strength of the bourbon was helping this blend taste weaker than it is, yet it was still strong.

John Bull True English - **** this one was an on sale low cost pouch I bought and jarred it. It is a new blend and there is not yet a review on TobacoReviews.com. I smoked this one this morning after a couple cups of coffee with creamer and honey. I really enjoyed this smoke. While it smells strong it was the mildest and well balanced. I think it is a little more oriental forward but I am new to this so don’t hold me to it. I say this because I picked up a little more sweetness than in the other blends and it did not bite any even if I trained on occasion. It did not need a relight. I found myself actually doing yard work with it clinched and if I wanted some LAT flavor I trained a thick mouthful, yet if I wanted some sweet I sipped it. Pleasantly surprised by this one. I am going to be interested in what Jimlnks or Emeritus say about it on Reviews.

Balkan Sasieni - have not tried it yet. It is in a tin and think I will leave it alone and enjoy what I have opened. I read it might be strong and less sweet so will leave it for now.

Overall I enjoy English blends but can only handle so much before I want sweetness of a burley like Edgeworth RR, etc. I would like to try Presbyterian and Standard Mixture but don’t have and they don’t sample so in the future maybe.

What is your favorite English (Va,Lat,Or/Tu) blend?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Personally, I like Balkan Supreme and Byzantium. Both are available in bulk.

However, I'm not a huge fan of Latakia. Rather, I enjoy it sparingly and in the evening.

Absent some change, I'm doubtful I'll be ordering more blends with Latakia (unless it's a very light component, such as Persian Slipper by Watch City Cigars).

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas

However, I'm not a huge fan of Latakia. Rather, I enjoy it sparingly and in the evening.

Absent some change, I'm doubtful I'll be ordering more blends with Latakia (unless it's a very light component, such as Persian Slipper by Watch City Cigars).
What is your goto blend category? VaPer, Burley, etc?

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas

I do have PS Balkan Supreme but it has cavendish in it so I have not tried nor included it. The Byzantium has Perique. I don’t think I like blends with both Latakia and Perique. I tried VooDoo and it confused my senses.

Reactions: Meerly John

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
EMP Match is nice.
Plum Pudding and Mississippi River are rather good.

One of my favourite non-aros is 4noggins Jesses Own which has Latakia and Perique. Both are lightly used but noticeable. Mild yet very tasty.

If you'd like to try a crossover, Count Pulaski is a must try.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
EMP Match is nice.
Plum Pudding and Mississippi River are rather good.

One of my favourite non-aros is 4noggins Jesses Own which has Latakia and Perique. Both are lightly used but noticeable. Mild yet very tasty.

If you'd like to try a crossover, Count Pulaski is a must try.
I have added Count Pulaski to my wish list. $2.50 and ounce and sounds interesting with Burley and topping.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Some that I like that are readily available:

The Country Squire Shepherds Pie
The Country Squire Cornishman
Watch City Noreaster, Churchwarden, Ahabs Comfort
Wilke Surburgs Crystal Palace
Ashton Artisans Blend
GLP Quiet Nights

Honorable mentions:
LJ Peretti Teshkent (more oriental forward imo)
Arango Balkan Supreme

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't smoke much English anymore, but when I do it's mostly stuff you won't be able to get, like Easy Chair from The Smoker Ltd, or GL Pease Renaissance and Bohemian Scandal. Balkan Supreme is a good blend that is available in bulk, and Balkan Sasieni is one of the very best blends available and a bargain at the price. If features a fair amount of Macedonian in the blend, which I happen to like.

English/Balkan/oriental blends are an excellent starting point for a new pipe smoker. They've easy to smoke, very forgiving of poor technique, and very rewarding with rich flavors because of their component tobaccos.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
There are a lot of good “English” blends. Buy the blends, jar them after opening and you’ll soon have 15-20+ blends or so that you can smoke a bowl from. If jarred, it’ll last and you will have a nice variety to choose from. You’ll also have room to do many comparison’s which seems to be your bowl of tobacco, or cup of tea.

If you have to limit tins because of budget - ok. But, if you can afford it - the one tin at a time approach is silly nonsense - buy variety and enjoy it.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
My personal favorites are not on your list. Old Dublin and Black House are my two favorite English style blends. Old Dublin has a little bit of Cavendish in it, and Black House has a Burley, Cavendish and Perique in it.
For a bulk available Lat, VA and Or blend try Kramer’s Father Dempsey. It’s very easy going and is light in flavor.
Try your Balkan Sasieni tin. It’s not as heavy as what you think and the Orientals in it are actually really good. It’s a very affordable tin.
Definitely pick up some Presby tins, it’s a great blend and very easy going as well.
When you start branching out a bit more you’ll find that just because a blend says Perique on it doesn’t mean it’s the only flavor you get, or that it’s not a true English or Balkan blend or whatever.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I like Pembroke, Mississippi River, and the Solent Mixture.
Of the three, I find The Solent Mixture mildly spicy and sweet, Mississippi River tangy and tart, and Pembroke savory with the cognac scent in the back of my nose.

Reactions: Meerly John
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I do have PS Balkan Supreme but it has cavendish in it so I have not tried nor included it. The Byzantium has Perique. I don’t think I like blends with both Latakia and Perique. I tried VooDoo and it confused my senses.
A thread posted today reviews Balkan Supreme. A response in the thread by a well-respected member of the forum suggests the Cavendish is unflavored (and provided a picture of 80 ounces of the blend).

Note, I have tried the Arango version; however, it has been suggested the PS version is the same (which is said in the previously referenced thread and elsewhere on the forum).

Regardless, I think Balkan Supreme is worth checking out and having a place reserved in your cellar (if only to have an English on hand).

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I am mainly a burley guy, so even my favorite Lat blends feature burley. I really enjoyed EMP the one time I had it, it was my second tin. I really like Esoterica's And So to Bed, although that has a light apricot topping. The good thing is, when I do buy a tin of a true English blend, that one tin lasts me at least one year.

If you do get around to Lat/Bur blends, Pirate Kake and HH Latakia Flake are great. Also, I love English aromatics. And So to Bed and Bob's Chocolate Flake are fantastic.

You've inspired me to pick up a tin of Early Morning Pipe. I enjoy reading about your experience, thanks for doing these mini-blogs for us.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Thanks everyone. I took a few from you and added to my wish list. Noting that I consider anything with Perique and Latakia together to be its own separate category from VaLatOr. Cav or Bur is even ok to include in my definition of English blends although I did not try those yet.

I am going to battle the LatPer blends on the very last week of my sampling reviews. Those listed (Seattle Pipe Club blends), Artisan, Quiet Nights, Nightcap, etc. but good to know those are good. Actually not sure when I will try these as I don’t have any of them. I will try some matches or similar bulk samples.