PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many say they can't taste the Perique in OGS. If it's there, and I guess it is, it is extremely subtle. If you are looking for a low cost Virginia, consider one of the known brands of bag tobacco. Bag tobacco is presumed to be low-grade, but some of it is quite good, on its own or used to mix. Just find one that states what leaf it is, and look around for any comments on that brand. I'd trust OHM and D&R, among others. Their burleys are perfectly respectable to me also, and I'm something of a burley smoker.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Today I tried Peterson Flake and was disappointed. I give it a 1 star for now. It was not horrible but I thought it was going to be a top competitor. Instead it’s below the others at a 1*. However I had pulled out a large flake to dry noon Friday and smoked it Saturday around noon. It was very dry and crumbled immediately to small slivers. I had to pour it into the bowl. I am going to try it again tomorrow with a fresher flake. Maybe just dry it an hour max. Hay and Grass are ok flavors but without that bread dough sweetness it’s not for me.

I also tried the Amphora again after the Peterson and it was better but still only a 2 star for me. I am not complaining because so far a great low priced bulk NM 400 gave me some nice sweet flavor. So I have found a straight for my rotation. If I find another that is better then great.

I am going to get some 507c on a future order. Might be awhile because I save up to get several blends due to shipping costs for less than $50 is inefficient.

I don’t mind paying for a tin of Wessex or Sir James, etc if it’s a 4* for me. So I will try a few new ones as budget allows.

Tomorrow will be Capstan Blue and a retry with Peterson Flake again with only 1 hour dry time.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Ok this morning I retried Peterson Flake directly out of the tin and the flavor was better. Still not as sweet as NM400 but I did get some sweetness. It would not remain lit and I had to relight frequently. I think if I give it 1 hour dry time it will burn better. Its sinking in that dryness helps burn, but hurts sweetness, and visa versa. I now rank Peterson Flake ** but I prefer over Amphora. Tonight will Capstan blue rub.

Amphora *+
Peterson Flake **
NM 400 Flake ***
Capstan Blue ?

Dies anyone know for certain whether Capstan Blue is a straight Virginia or does it have Perique?

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
My final:

1. NM400 ***
2. Peterson Flake **
3. Capstan Blue **
4. Amphora *

I will let the Peterson and Capstan age in my cellar. The amphora I may play around with blending or hydrating it with my favorite frappuccino or bourbon.

Gotta take me a break from straight Virginias. Need to puff some good mouthfuls of creamy smoke. Virginias too delicate.

My next battle for this week will be English Blends without Perique. Details coming in my next Newby News this weekend.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Ok this morning I retried Peterson Flake directly out of the tin and the flavor was better. Still not as sweet as NM400 but I did get some sweetness. It would not remain lit and I had to relight frequently. I think if I give it 1 hour dry time it will burn better. Its sinking in that dryness helps burn, but hurts sweetness, and visa versa. I now rank Peterson Flake ** but I prefer over Amphora. Tonight will Capstan blue rub.

Amphora *+
Peterson Flake **
NM 400 Flake ***
Capstan Blue ?

Dies anyone know for certain whether Capstan Blue is a straight Virginia or does it have Perique?
It is a straight Virginia.

Mac Baren - Capstan Original Navy Cut

Edit this tobacco Favorite Wishlist Subscribed

This blend is a composition of select, ripe Virginia tobaccos whose citrus and grassy notes go brilliantly with the natural sweetness. A must try for everyone who appreciates a good, straightforward Virginia blend.
Notes: Originally produced by W.D. and H.O. Wills, now re-released by MacBaren.
According to the Tolkien estate, this was J.R.R. Tolkien's favorite tobacco.
BrandMac Baren
Blended ByMac Baren
Manufactured ByMac Baren
Blend TypeStraight Virginia
ContentsVirginia
FlavoringOther / Misc
CutFlake
Packaging50 grams tin
CountryDK
ProductionCurrently available
Where to BuySmokingPipes.com

Reactions: Old_Newby

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
It's a very mild topping, so I understand your point, but it seems the majority opinion on this forum is that capstan blue is an aromatic. So it's not my statement alone.
There was a recent thread about it if you can be bothered to find it.

I have read it. FDR once said: "There are as many opinions as there are experts." Let's not get into a new discussion about it here.

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I have on my wish list to purchase below. I can get 1 oz samples of 5 blends for $15. Thanks to those who responded. If I missed one let me know.

Sutliff 507-C ($3.50)
Low Country Natural ($2.00)
PS402 Luxery Twist -MuttnCop ($3.50)
C&D Derringer ($3.50)
Windsail ($1.50)

The 2 below are pipers dream but one day.

Union Square - $12
Sir Johns - $14