PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Pole piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2021
Rural, Manitoba Canada.
You got me beat there, that is outrageous. A 50g tin here is anywhere from $50-$65. But I make border trips to the US and stock up. Growing your own is probably the way to go and would be pretty cool, I think. You definitely have the climate for it I would think. I’m actually going to try and plant some next spring and see how it goes.

North Pole piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2021
Rural, Manitoba Canada.
G'day and welcome from Nanny State Australia.

You think you have it bad? Here a meagre 50g tin of tobacco now costs over $125.
[I'm fortunate to have a reasonable stash, mostly bulk buys from the U.S. and am growing baccy for the future - Virginias this year thanks to our Kiwi mate Ahi Ka's generosity]
That’s crazy, you got us beat. We pay $50-60 for a 50g. But we will eventually get to the $125 range I’m sure. Luckily I can cross the border and order from the US. Been stock piling for a bit now. Growing your own sounds cool, I’m going I try it myself next spring.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You got me beat there, that is outrageous. A 50g tin here is anywhere from $50-$65. But I make border trips to the US and stock up. Growing your own is probably the way to go and would be pretty cool, I think. You definitely have the climate for it I would think. I’m actually going to try and plant some next spring and see how it goes.
Where is "here"?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Yes we have a rather moderate winter and usually stinking hot summers. [I'm inland out of reach of the coastal breezes]
Tobacco takes ages to get from germination to seedling stage so most growers start germination indoors under a small growlight to have seedlings ready for planting once the risk of frost has passed.

That would be even more important in Canada considering your really cold winters.
Try to source seeds from local growers that would be most suited to your climate and length of growing season.

Growing is the easy part. Drying and curing is a bit of a learning curve for sure.
Lot of info and advice can be found at www.fairtradetobacco.com

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
That’s crazy, you got us beat. We pay $50-60 for a 50g. But we will eventually get to the $125 range I’m sure. Luckily I can cross the border and order from the US. Been stock piling for a bit now. Growing your own sounds cool, I’m going I try it myself next spring.
You might also want to keep an eye on the Tobacco Trading section of this forum where you'll often find fellow Canadians selling their unwanted baccy, usually at far more reasonable prices than $50-$60 for 50g.

North Pole piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2021
Rural, Manitoba Canada.
Yes we have a rather moderate winter and usually stinking hot summers. [I'm inland out of reach of the coastal breezes]
Tobacco takes ages to get from germination to seedling stage so most growers start germination indoors under a small growlight to have seedlings ready for planting once the risk of frost has passed.

That would be even more important in Canada considering your really cold winters.
Try to source seeds from local growers that would be most suited to your climate and length of growing season.

Growing is the easy part. Drying and curing is a bit of a learning curve for sure.
Lot of info and advice can be found at www.fairtradetobacco.com
Thanks for the info and the link. I never considered buying local seeds but it makes sense. The province beside mine grows Virginias for the tobacco market, might be a good idea to get that seed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wi

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada.
Thanks. next step-
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from N Y. You had to mention taxes no better here, the only thing that made me feel good is that our Gov, went down in flames for fondling the ladies.
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thanks for the info and the link. I never considered buying local seeds but it makes sense. The province beside mine grows Virginias for the tobacco market, might be a good idea to get that seed.
Seeds from local growers would be perfect.
Science has proved that plants respond and adapt to their environment.

By buying local seeds, your plants will not have to go through a process of adapting to a new environment, which can take several generations, giving you the best chance of an A-grade crop from the get-go.

Tobacco needs to be aged for at least a year after harvest. [My Burley leaf was rough as guts fresh. The difference a year later was huge]
While your sourcing local seed, you might also consider asking the growers if you're able to buy some whole leaf to give yourself a head start.

Since my stash wont last forever, I intend to make Cavendish, Black Cavendish and Perique.
I've also bought a SS noodle press [for $10aud] and a bottle of 13yo Bundaberg spiced rum to experiment making Kake and Flake.

Tobacco taxes here are contemptible,. No way will I pay extortionist prices for baccy.
Encouragingly, many of the experienced home growers at the Freetrade tobacco forum say that they much prefer smoking their homegrown blends over commercial blends.

North Pole piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2021
Rural, Manitoba Canada.
Have you visited Vesz shop at the Royal York hotel in Toronto? Buy all the Calich used wood you can find, the best secret in Canada.
No not yet, but his pipes are beautiful and his briar is said to be some of the best in the world and at very reasonable prices. A hidden gem for sure. Do his pipes smoke as well as I’ve heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.