"Newbie", Now in Idaho That's Been in Hiding.... What is Mixture 79 ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I started pipes about forty years ago, with a few long non-smoking gaps, and I started out at Tinder Box at the local mall. I think most of those blends were re-named blends from big outfits like Lanes and Sutliff, and these may still be available with a bit of research. I still have my first pipe, a Tinder Box St. Ives, I think sourced from Chacom. Welcome aboard from central N.C. The Tinder Box pipe still smokes fine, looks good, and shares the racks with many others.

Scott Krieger

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Thanks ! Looks like an old Sporty ?
It sure is, Marlon! I bought this '81 XLS Roadster from the original owner in Seattle in 1986 (shortly before this picture was taken), and put a ridiculous amount of miles on it until we parted ways subsequent to a divorce in '91. What a cool bike... :col:

MarlonMike

Lurker
Nov 15, 2019
Idaho
Welcome to the forum. I always wanted to visit Idaho as one of the guys on a adventure riding motorcycle formed had a thread called Idaho extreme and he was always posting up pictures of the land that was absolutely beautiful so if you can post up some pictures of your area.
I too took a 30 year break from pipe smoking.
Hey Hobie ! Well, in our area it's pretty much "high desert", not too many tress and such and a little different from the Sierra Nevada mountains I spent most of my life around, but really enjoying the area and the riding is great as there is NO traffic ! A buddy from CA came to visit recently, and here are a couple of pics on the way to Sun Valley, along Hwy75...

Attachments

• Sawtooth.jpg
    Sawtooth.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190807_171254.jpg
    20190807_171254.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: hobie1dog and litup

MarlonMike

Lurker
Nov 15, 2019
Idaho
It sure is, Marlon! I bought this '81 XLS Roadster from the original owner in Seattle in 1986 (shortly before this picture was taken), and put a ridiculous amount of miles on it until we parted ways subsequent to a divorce in '91. What a cool bike... :col:
Hey Scott: Sorry to hear about your "parting ways"...with the bike, not the ex ! haha... Fortunately, I was able to keep my 1980 Gold Wing Interstate out of my (now ex wifes) hands at the time... Bought my current bike in '05. A Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad that has been fantastic, but Idaho is definitely Harley Country, so may have to add a hog to my stable... ;-) I've attached a pic of my "now wife" of 11 years and my old girl... ( the bike, not the wife.. ha )

Attachments

• M & D Baker City.JPG
    M & D Baker City.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Scott Krieger

MarlonMike

Lurker
Nov 15, 2019
Idaho
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! I am also a returnee to smoking after a hiatus of almost 50 years. What a joy! I have a dozen or so of pipes I bought back then, thankfully. (But have way exceeded that number in the last five years.)
Thanks ! I only had four, and fortunately only lost one along the way.. not bad I guess after so many years, but it was a really carved meerschaum .... so will have to just look for a new one !

Reactions: jpmcwjr

MarlonMike

Lurker
Nov 15, 2019
Idaho

Attachments

• IMG_2593.jpg
    IMG_2593.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1

MarlonMike

Lurker
Nov 15, 2019
Idaho
Welcome from the SF Bay Area. I've been to Idaho once, when I was 12, on the way to Yellowstone. I remember catching a trout in the river on a rooster tail spinner right there in Boise by the college. My 12 year old self thought Boise was pretty cool.
Thanks ! Boise is still pretty cool, but a lot more crowded than your 12 yr old self would have thought ! I'm originally from East Bay, via Fresno...

MarlonMike

Lurker
Nov 15, 2019
Idaho
I started pipes about forty years ago, with a few long non-smoking gaps, and I started out at Tinder Box at the local mall. I think most of those blends were re-named blends from big outfits like Lanes and Sutliff, and these may still be available with a bit of research. I still have my first pipe, a Tinder Box St. Ives, I think sourced from Chacom. Welcome aboard from central N.C. The Tinder Box pipe still smokes fine, looks good, and shares the racks with many others.
Is yours like this little "flatbottom" St. Ives from Tinderbox ? It's one of a couple that are at least 35 years old.. lol... I used to enjoy going to the Tinderbox places, and it seems they have an online store now for the tobaccoo I used to get... maybe will give it a try... of course, now that I have more time on my hands, will hopefully start a new collection of some nice pipes.

Attachments

• 20191122_145948.jpg
    20191122_145948.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.