Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper

Lurker
Oct 15, 2019
Big Easy
Thanks to everyone for your warm welcomes to the site, and feedback. SSJones, I'm not sure if I could be much help with your S9, New Orleans use to be a great hangout, and Now they have the French Quarter lined up with Louisiana State Police, and NOPD, which equals they catch the shooters faster, but it doesn't really curb the violence.......Go Figure. Last night I went to Mayan Import Company in Metairie. There was an outside Vender in the store selling Pipes, These pipes were Huge, and Gorgeous. He also had pipe tins on display, as he was selling them as well as the pipes. The lower end pipes were Brabrier?? pipes I believe, They were pretty nice, and marked $200 and a little less, But the pipes I fell in love with were on the table surrounded by customers. those pipes started for $395 and the sky was the limit. I felt drawn to those pipes like a kid in a Candy store. I wasn't able to purchase one last night, but did purchase a Peterson bent pipe, smooth #307, which came with a p hole in the stem, and a spit trap in the briar part of the stem. I own a couple of Il Cepo's, and love them because my fingers are huge, and so are their bowl size, for me, their a perfect match for packing the tobacco. I also have a couple of Ben Wades, and Preben Holm pipes, a Savenelli apple along with a couple of Caminetto's. The vender allowed me to pack my bowl with some of his open Tin samplers. The story I got about Tobacco Tin's was this.... The guy asked me if I had ever tried Skoal, and I had, and he reminded me of swallowing some and turning green, then compared Tobacco Tins to the shoal, and advised me I needed to be a well seasoned pipe smoker before trying them. Last night, I found out that didn't necessarily apply to all tins, So anyway I got my first taste of a Tobacco Tin, and it was GREAT!! It was Solani Blend 131, so I purchased it. The Pipes that I fell in love with were provided by "Monjure International" He did provide me with a business card, which has his web address on it. Next time I bump into him, I plan to be prepared. So anyway I just wanted to share the experience with everyone, as the adventure definitely begins. Thanks again everyone for the warm welcomes.

Reactions: UncleRasta

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Casper, welcome aboard from central N.C. Yours is a great city. I've been there several times including a honeymoon way back in 1976. Stayed at the Queen Anne Hotel, which may or may not still be there. Also two business trips also a ways back in time. My first trip there was a vacation during my Navy years.

Casper

Lurker
Oct 15, 2019
Big Easy
MSO489, Thanks for the warm welcome sir. Im fairly certain the Queen Ann is still in business, it's located in the Lower Garden District. Years ago, 1964, My Mom and Step Dad met in New Orleans. Step Dad was in the Navy. I spent my first 12 years living in Port Hueneme Ca, I call that time extended Boot Camp. In 1976, after my step Dad's retirement, We moved back to Louisiana, to the Slidell area. I spent as much time as possible with my Pawpaw. He was a Hunter, and Fisherman. He raised 9 children off the land he owned a very large farm, which was planted with Cotton. He was an Avid Pipe smoker, I loved sitting in the floor in the evening, as my Pawpaw smoked his pipe, and my Mimaw and Pawpaw listened to their radio programs. Back in this time, they had an outdoor well, as well as outhouse. The aroma of my Pawpaws pipe burning brings back many great memories. I couldn't pretend to tell you what tobacco he smoked, and after he passed away, I was given his old pipe, along with a shotgun reloading press. I still have both, as he felt that a man had to do for himself. I guess thats the reason I'm a proud man, and find it extremely degrading to ask for help, or ask how to do something. Thats what led me to this website, is rather than ask a million questions, I hoped to read enough to learn what I needed to know about smoking a pipe, especially things to know before destroying a pipe, like separating the stem from the bowl to use a pipe cleaner to mop up the spit, while the pipe is still warm/hot.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Cool - you met Steve Monjure, a real gentleman and very well known distributer. I suspect you were probably looking at Ador pipes (large pipes, colorful stems), a handmade Italian line that Steve distributes, among others. He also handles distribution for Solani tobacco, you picked a good blend to try for the first time. More insights into Steve here, he is a regular at all pipe shows and many big line vendors.

I hear you on visiting the Quarter. We only hit NOLA when we fly in and out, been there, done that! (and now lost my phone there)....

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
Cool - you met Steve Monjure, a real gentleman and very well known distributer. I suspect you were probably looking at Ador pipes (large pipes, colorful stems), a handmade Italian line that Steve distributes, among others. He also handles distribution for Solani tobacco, you picked a good blend to try for the first time. More insights into Steve here, he is a regular at all pipe shows and many big line vendors.

I hear you on visiting the Quarter. We only hit NOLA when we fly in and out, been there, done that! (and now lost my phone there)....
Thanks for posting the Steve Monjure article. The reference to Ye Olde Pipe Shoppe brought back some memories. The owner, Edwin Jansen, had a very impressive collection of meerschaums that I believe went back to the beginning of the store. They weren’t impressively displayed, however; just crammed into several cases. I wonder what happened to them all.

Casper

Lurker
Oct 15, 2019
Big Easy

Yes Sir, PappyJoe introduced me to Steve, let me just say that was no easy chore. The whole time I was in Mayan Imports of Metairie, Pipe smokers surrounded Steve's table. It was almost 9 pm when just about everyone left that Pappyjoe was able to introduce us. I purchased my first pipe for myself in Dec 2000, and it was a Savenelli Millennium 2000. I acquired my first pipe in the early 80's, as an inheritance from my Pawpaw, as he knew I loved the smell of his pipe, and often asked him to light up, just so I could smell it burning. I have a couple of Preben Holm pipes, One is a beautiful sitter, the other a Freehand, along with a Ben Wade. In all honesty, I'm not as attached to them as I am the Italian Pipes I own. Il Ceppo XXL Apple full Bent Stem is my absolute favorite. I own Two if those, along with two stubby's. Close behind the Il Ceppo is my Caminetto Mustache pipes, followed again by a Stanwell made in Italy, Those pipes just smoke very well. The other night as I was glancing over shoulders, I seen an Ardor Pipe on Steves Table, and in the 5808 next Morning I did a little research, finding that these Pipes are carved in Italy. The price tag on this beautiful pipe was pretty hefty, But if I had known these pipes were being sold at 25% off, I would have owned this pipe that very night, Now I have to wait for that size, and shape to go on sale for 25% off again. I'm a pretty good sized Man, at 6'2" and 275, a small Corncob pipe, or a regular cookie cutter pipe just doesn't fit me, so Thankfully my taste in Pipes are based on a much larger pipe than the cookie cutters, or Corn cobs. I do have a small Caminetto which smokes very well, and it fits in my pipe bag, so I can carry it a lot easier than one of my bigger pipes, I just prefer a larger pipe to smoke from. Steve sold me the Pipe Tin of Solani #391, The aroma was magnificent, and it leaves behind a nice aroma in the room. I also purchased his blend #369, and found I wasn't as fortunate with that tobacco. I'm sorry to hear about your phone, however I'm quite sure it's in use somewhere down in the jungle. It never surprises me in the evening in watching the news as to how many folks are being held up at gun point, in a city that doesn't allow you to carry guns, and what they were robbed for. The iPhone 10 was hot for a while, I imagine Samsung is probably pretty close to the iPhone. Louisiana State Police have assigned a Bunch of troopers to the French Quarter, at the City's request, plus NOPD officers everywhere, and still night after night reports of hold ups emerge from that area, I cannot even fathom how that occurs, but it does, and its frequent, although the city still hold convention after convention, Mardi Gras, Super Bowls, Sugar Bowls, and huge event one after another, the robberies and murders continue to grow. It's just really sad..... but for most it's just a way of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.