PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotechjoe

Lurker
Mar 25, 2016
I am a brand new member on board here. I'm just recently back smoking a pipe after a nearly 50 year hiatus. Things have changed a lot and I find myself enjoying the pipe much more than before. I live on the east side of Washington State and I just discovered I can't order tobacco online or mail order. I'm 68 years old, on Social Security only, with a house payment and car payment, so I have extremely low discretionary funds. I can't offer money to help fight the despotic tobacco legislation in our state, but I'd really like to do something to remedy this problem. I was given a briar pipe and two corncobs plus 5 different tobaccos, none of which I can order through the mail. I'd like to change that, so how can I help? Keeping in mind I'm basically broke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome! I returned to pipes after a very long hiatus also. Sorry I have no ideas how you could remedy your situation, but I am sure others will.
Enjoy!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm sure someone will come up with something, but I wanted to welcome you aboard. Doubtless you have much to offer in knowledge and wisdom. Also, be aware their is a Free Pipe Project, helmed by that worthy fellow, shaintiques, who I'm sure might be able to offer you something in pipes and tobaccos. But for now I say again, welcome to the forums!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I live on the east side of Washington State and I just discovered I can't order tobacco online or mail order.
How close are you to the border? Might be useful to have a PO Box in another state.

Dec 28, 2015
Wow hearing things like that really makes me appreciate living in the Deep South. But then again it is a 2 hour drive from here to the nearest pipe tobacco store. Good luck in your quest of getting tobacco delivered around the oppressors.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I too am a pensioner. I never really 'smoked a pipe' back when I was much younger, but I tried many times.

I suggest you try to buy C&D bulk blends by the pound, when they're on sale. Getting it there is the problem I guess. Maybe someone can go between and then mail to you?

I just ordered 4.5 lbs from C&D and the total cost was under 100$. I went for their less expensive 'blending' tobaccos, mostly. They're selling for less than $20 an lb. That beats the pants off of a tub of Carter Hall, price wise.

I have never received bad tobacco from C&D and Smokingpipes.com/

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, in the nanny state of CA, I can order online anything I want (except ho's, and I don't want any), and I have three good B+M shops about an hour away. I am blessed.

pipeguy6

Lurker
Mar 25, 2016
It's not always ideal but since you can't order online what about the drugstore blends? What do those cost up in WA $$ ?

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I thought there were web sites that would ship to WA state... Doesn't smokingpipes.com ship there?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'd get an Idaho PO Box.
Here's the gist of the mail order law:
(1) A person may not:

(a) Ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, any

tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet

to anyone in this state other than a licensed wholesale or retailer;

or

(b) With knowledge or reason to know of the violation, provide

substantial assistance to a person who is in violation of this

section.

(2) (a) A person who knowingly violates subsection (1) of this section

is guilty of a class C felony, except that the maximum fine that may

be imposed is five thousand dollars.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I just fired off an Email to smoking pipes asking them if they can ship to Washington State. I;ll let you know when they reply.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
In my country it is also illegal to procure tobacco online, the reason being to prevent kids under 18 from buying. Luckily we have three tobacconist in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.