PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So standard fare and worth taking sometime to comment on. These proposals always include more extreme measures then those incorporated. I've seen more then a few of these come down the pike over the years. Usually it's brainstorming no ideas off the table at this point. Again since they're asking why not tell them how much you don't like it and remember calm and sane tends to be a more effective tone then raving anger.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The action plan is currently open for public consultation, I’ve read through it and am working on a response. If I’m honest, as someone passionate about pipe smoking and tobacco, the law changes do not impact me whatsoever. I am actually in favour of a lot of them, especially where they crossover with social and health inequities faced by certain demographics. In fact think these action groups are doing a disservice to these inequities by NOT exploring the impact that easy access to and abuse of alcohol has on communities.

Anyways, I find it hilarious how almost half of the recommendations pertain to making tobacco taste, well more like tobacco.

My ventures into whole leaf blending and homegrown over the last year or so has provided an invaluable change of mindset from only relating to tobacco as a commodity to understanding her as a plant.

The reality is, unless your a wealthy bugger or have had success with smuggling tobacco into the country, there has been no economically viable means for creating a stockpile for the last 7 years or so.

If anything, recent changes in my country’s legislation have actually spurred me into a greater love for the tradition. It has also provided a catalyst for fostering a sense of community amongst local smokers. Sure, half the time we spend shaking our fist at the powers that be, but I think that is a trait shared by brethren around the world regardless of tobacco access.

By increasing awareness and education about how to smoke well (somewhat of an oxymoron I know), I believe pipe smoking will retain a faithful following down under for generations to come. At least the government and I agree on one thing. I’m a codger at heart, and soon to be by law.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Growing your own is, I think, the only viable alternative, as lawmakers' restrictions continue to roll out, these from New Zealand a case in point. They really do want to eliminate tobacco use, and I don't think they will stop until they do.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
While I pity the fools living under Jacinda Adern's rule in NZ, human behavior can only be controlled to a certain degree before the pendulum swings back.

Progressives already tried this with alcohol, culminating in prohibition. Didn't turn out as well as they expected.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While I pity the fools living under Jacinda Adern's rule in NZ, human behavior can only be controlled to a certain degree before the pendulum swings back.

Progressives already tried this with alcohol, culminating in prohibition. Didn't turn out as well as they expected.
While I find this a stupid and odious law, facts don't support the other portions of your statement. NZ did much better than the US in combating Covid and reopening their economy. The Temperance Movement that begat Prohibition was a product of religious Conservatives.

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
While I pity the fools living under Jacinda Adern's rule in NZ
Thanks for your comments bro, I respect them even if I don’t agree with them.

And in regards to the NZ smoke free 2025 stuff, it’s been in the pipeline since 2011, and these recent recommendations have been discussed since 2017, they are just getting more media attention now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The birthdate cut-off is a doozy. I know NZ is its own place, but I think its judicial system might have a struggle with that. I wonder if NZ's health statistics reflect smoking as a big problem, or if they are reflecting the health problems elsewhere, like maybe the U.S. and China which has had a big problem. Mao was an ardent smoker, puffing away on cigarettes riding in his sedan chair being carried on The Long March. Though he lived to quite an advanced age.

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
While I find this a stupid and odious law, facts don't support the other portions of your statement. NZ did much better than the US in combating Covid and reopening their economy. The Temperance Movement that begat Prohibition was a product of religious Conservatives.

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.
It was also acknowledged that the PM abused authority on the mandates issued out to do it. So there's that.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The birthdate cut-off is a doozy. I know NZ is its own place, but I think its judicial system might have a struggle with that. I wonder if NZ's health statistics reflect smoking as a big problem, or if they are reflecting the health problems elsewhere, like maybe the U.S. and China which has had a big problem. Mao was an ardent smoker, puffing away on cigarettes riding in his sedan chair being carried on The Long March. Though he lived to quite an advanced age.
Supposedly, smoking is the main cause of premature death and disability in NZ. However my understanding is that the original intent behind policy was to reduce the health/social disparities experienced by Māori (especially women) compared to the majority non-Māori population.

The birthyear cut off will be interesting to watch, I predict an increase in value of 2004 dunhill in the local estate market haha. But with it already costing around $200us for 100g tin of macbaren, if prices continue to increase annually with another 10% tax or so, my generation and those to come are already priced out of the hobby - unless one is content with a bowl once a week or so.

Currently I can manufacture 5kg of homegrown per year (this allowance was 15kg until 2018), and technically I can harvest/cure/ferment as much as I want provided I don’t remove the stems or press/twist/cut the leaf. For me, this allowance is vital if I wish to keep smoking my pipe in my later years, so I’m growing like a maniac and cellaring it all a way. Interestingly, big tobacco has had their sights set on this allowance and have been lobbying for it to be removed entirely or at least become a licensed activity that requires me to pay tax on whatever I grow. So far, the govt has given them the middle finger, even if just a small one.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yes, but they didn't have the panopticon tools back then that they have now.

Now they can even track your shit to control you:

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
NZ has gone full-on Forrest Gump.
The world could use more people like Forrest. One thing I learned in my time in the mental health field is that there are few people out there with kinder or gentler hearts than those of the intellectually disabled. We could all learn a lot from that population about how we should treat other people.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The world could use more people like Forrest. One thing I learned in my time in the mental health field is that there are few people out there with kinder or gentler hearts than those of the intellectually disabled. We could all learn a lot from that population about how we should treat other people.
One question bro, from a support worker to another...

Friday ten pin bowling?

Status
Not open for further replies.