• 753F698A-1060-4D03-B18C-9FFF51948CA8.jpeg
    753F698A-1060-4D03-B18C-9FFF51948CA8.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Ahi Ka

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Hey Ahi Ka. I mainly smoke McBaron Symphony and Amphora Burley Blend, with some Erinmore too. I can afford 50 grams a month from Canteros, and handy the Erinmore is a bit cheaper at that T Discount store. My work travel allowances is my other source, being my perk, so I build up that money and get more from there. I also ask friends to bring some back from overseas when they are flying, some do and some don’t. I have some tobacco growing too, my first time with that, so just taking my time and working towards planning for the future that no doubt is on all of our minds. I have a permit too, so looking to bring in a kg of symphony, that will keep me going for a year and a half or thereabouts. I’m thinking of ordering a few grams from 4noggins over the mail, and seeing how that goes, but not wanting to get on any “customs blacklist!”, any advice on that one?? I smoke out of a Peterson Killarney mainly, and a couple of older pipes I picked up on TradeMe. Cheers for the chat mate.

PipeDragonNZ

Lurker
Aug 28, 2021
Auckland District, NZ
Kia Ora!

Auckland (South) based pipe smoker here. Keen to meet others for smoke socials, though from reading the posts I know we are a very spread out group!
Good to meet you all and hopefully get to smoke with you in the future!
~Griz

Reactions: Ahi Ka

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Hello all

I also live in New Zealand and have only just started smoking a pipe.

I'm from Hamilton by the way but I spent quite a bit of time in Auckland during the week.

I have looked into oversea order but it seems like the NZ custom could charge terrible duties and taxes for any small amount of tobacco shipped - over NZ$600 per kg I believe.

Pipe tobaccos are rare to find locally and cost about 15 times the price it is in the US.

Are you allowed to grow your own in the yard? If so I would try this out, as far as you can get some seeds.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Gday guys i see this is an old thread but if any of you are still here i'd like to catch up.

I'm in westport but originally from christchurch i started smoking a pipe this year full time but tried it in my early teens.

I can't afford to buy shop tobacco so i import legally and duty free whole leaf, costs me $72nz a pound delivered in 8-9 days.

i have a couple of crappy chinese pipes i started with but im waiting on a stonehaven lovat from bpk pipes in czech replublic.

i have an ALCO from falcon in restoration atm and i keep an eye on trade me for estate pipes when they come up

i really want to make my own pipes and learn the pipe trade so ive stated buying tools to do so, i have just gotten a lathe in need of some more things to get it going over the next few months.

hope to meet some fellow kiwis in here.

cheers

That sounds good! Importing leaves isn’t an issue? Go for it.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
There's an old saying "United we Stand, Divided we fall". New Zealand Briar Smokers are faced with the challenge of there being only a few of us spread out over a Great Distance. This can make the sharing of information rather hard.
There's definitely issues that need to be dealt with such as the cost of buying tobacco and also legislation. We also need a social and support network for our fellow briar smokers. It would be interesting for fellow pipe smokers living in NZ, to join together as it would help with the spread of information.
As a group we might be able to achieve better outcomes for our members then if we were to do things individually.
I would be interested in hearing from fellow Brothers and sisters of the Briar in New Zealand who are interested in forming a Lodge of Pipe Smokers.

Try your own forum. With Word press you can build an easy to use platform, with almost indefinite possibilities and most parts are free. You can even build member areas protected by password and of course chat and messenger functions. “KSC”, “Kiwis Smoking Club” would sound really nice.

Shaun

Lurker
Dec 16, 2022
How do I go about joining the “New Zealand Briar Society “ ?
I am retired , a happy pipe puffer , living at Pauanui (Coromandel).
Would love to participate and maybe a pipe smoking club / get together could be organised.
Happy Pipeing !

Reactions: BriarLinedMeer

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Hey bro, if you want to join the buy in is 3 pouches of st Bruno. I can send you my postal address. 😂

I wonder if you are the old fellah @charf kids saw in Thames!

Nearby, There’s a few of us in Tauranga and a couple more in hamilton.

Nau Mai haere mai to the forums

Reactions: Shaun