PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Sorry for the bad news.

"From 1 July 2020, tobacco products, tobacco leaf and tobacco refuse will become prohibited imports and you will be required to have a permit to import these products.

Permits are approved and issued by Customs. That means if you want to send someone in New Zealand any kind of tobacco product including as a gift, you will have to apply for a permit.

Also from 1 July 2020 you cannot receive any tobacco products through the international mail. Tobacco must only be imported using a freight forwarder, the fast-freight courier system or as bulk sea or air cargo. You will still be able to use New Zealand Post’s international courier service.

Customs will issue a permit to established importers for one year from 1 July or the length of time a manufacturer holds a licence to manufacture tobacco products. Other importers will need to apply for a permit. Permits will be issued free of charge.

From 1 July 2020, any tobacco products, leaf or refuse imported without a permit will be seized and destroyed. Customs will send a written notice to importers confirming the seizure and destruction of the tobacco products, leaf and refuse. In the unlikely event of the product being seized and destroyed in error (for example, when the person had a valid permit to import), the importer will be entitled to compensation for the customs value of the products.

A permit is not required to import cigars, cigarillos, water-pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco, snuff and snus."

Link

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Sorry for the bad news.

"From 1 July 2020, tobacco products, tobacco leaf and tobacco refuse will become prohibited imports and you will be required to have a permit to import these products.

Permits are approved and issued by Customs. That means if you want to send someone in New Zealand any kind of tobacco product including as a gift, you will have to apply for a permit.

Also from 1 July 2020 you cannot receive any tobacco products through the international mail. Tobacco must only be imported using a freight forwarder, the fast-freight courier system or as bulk sea or air cargo. You will still be able to use New Zealand Post’s international courier service.

Customs will issue a permit to established importers for one year from 1 July or the length of time a manufacturer holds a licence to manufacture tobacco products. Other importers will need to apply for a permit. Permits will be issued free of charge.

From 1 July 2020, any tobacco products, leaf or refuse imported without a permit will be seized and destroyed. Customs will send a written notice to importers confirming the seizure and destruction of the tobacco products, leaf and refuse. In the unlikely event of the product being seized and destroyed in error (for example, when the person had a valid permit to import), the importer will be entitled to compensation for the customs value of the products.

A permit is not required to import cigars, cigarillos, water-pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco, snuff and snus."

Link
Why only pipe tobacco???

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It's probably aimed at cigarettes, and pipe tobacco is collateral damage. Though I imagine a lot more Kiwis will be smoking water pipes.....
Ahh I see now cigarillo I thought it also said cigarettes. So yes.. I’m sure it’s aimed to eliminate people ordering pipe tobacco and rolling cigs with it to avoid tax.

Reactions: rushx9

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Sounds like they've introduced the same rules the Aussies did July last year - caught me out when I was living there as mysteriously I only saw it announced after the cut off date; at least Kiwis have an opportunity to get some orders in before it becomes law.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

Pipe Daddy

Might Stick Around
Oct 16, 2019
Sorry for the bad news.

Link
Doesn't seem right! What were they thinking?

Reactions: docpierce and BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I can now remove Australia and NZ from my bucket list of places to visit. At the rate things are proceeding, the only places left to visit will be my man cave and 3rd World Countries.
Hey don’t knock third world. You haven’t lived until you’ve sucked the honey out of an ants ass because its the only thing you can keep down while riding a camel on malaria meds.

Joking aside, NZ is an amazing country to visit, regardless of tobacco status or politics. Wonderful people, beautiful land, and awesome awesome place.

And ironically, I actually did the above mentioned activities, but it was in Australia ? (and I wasn’t sick. The honey ants were just delicious)

Status
Not open for further replies.