PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've smoked outdoors in any number of locations in NYC and never been bothered. That said, all public property in the city is non-smoking.

Google is your friend here:

Reactions: wyfbane and yanoJL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you avoid crowds and keep walking in non-crowded areas, I think you'd be okay. It's when you get seated in a park or outdoor dining where other people are also seated it might get testy. But as long as you are moving on along anyway, people are bustling along too fast to develop a complaint.

If you get bogged down in people, just let the pipe go out. I'd take it out of your mouth and just carry it in your hand so no one can claim you are smoking, and light up when you break free of groups.

No smoking on public transportation anywhere including the weather decks on the Staten Island Ferry, where it is probably too windy anyway.

Reactions: PaulRVA

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I think you gotta get in a fight or flash some iron the first day. That’s how we do it in the D.
Never had to carry. NYC was safe enough when I was growing up. Unless you really pissed off certain Chinese gangs. Areas were fairly well defined and there were rarely any cross racial fights.

Reactions: trudger

briarfriar

Can't Leave
New York Pipe Club meets in Soho Cigar Bar. Take the C-E subway to Spring Street.

You surely would want to visit Barclay-Rex a little further downtown. Take the No. 2 to Canal Street.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The club meets in Soho. I've tried smoking in a few parks, and without fail, a policeman has asked me to politely stop, or get fined.

Reactions: woodsroad

OwlTellYa

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
Upstate NY, USA
New York Pipe Club meets in Soho Cigar Bar. Take the C-E subway to Spring Street.

You surely would want to visit Barclay-Rex a little further downtown. Take the No. 2 to Canal Street.

Barclay-Rex says they offer day passes, but they list prices only for annual and monthly membership. Anyone know about that?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Davidoff around the corner has a limited supply of tobaccos but is now member only for smoking there.

That’s disappointing! Davidoff or Nate Sherman were my go to spots.

We’re going to be visiting NYC soon. I’m hoping to find a cigar friendly rooftop midtown for an after show cigar. If that doesn’t work out it will probably be The Carnagie Club.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Reading the great posts in this thread, I feel appropriately old and out of touch (and neither smug nor on the other hand, unhappy about that LOL).

Visited several times in the 60's and 70's, and brief stop-overs or drive-through's in the 90's (enjoyed the Bronx Zoo a couple of tmes)--but it's been a long time since I've been there. And I'm glad don't have to travel, "up north," anymore. I guess I've changed drastically and am happily provencial (perhaps "country-fied" would be more appropriate for me here in my small northeast Texas town--years back I would have been embarrassed to even consider this shift after growing up in the D.C. metroplex! My how things change--including me! :).

kindly
mike

Reactions: RobNYC and Egg Shen