PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
From a post, click on the persons screen-name, then click on their screen-name again in the new window that pops up. That brings up another window where you can click on "Start PM", although it looks greyed-out on my screen. It won't appear at all unless you're logged in.

Ok, that's actually what I was referring to previously. I just neglected to included the part about clicking their name twice. There is also the envelope icon at the upper right of the page between the avatar and bell.

So I'm taking it then that the "start PM" that initially appears below the member's name after the first click is actually not private...and should really not be labeled as "PM".

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So clicking on a members icon once opens up a dialogue box with "start PM" visible, clicking on that takes you to "conversations", which is where your old PM messages were transferred.

Clicking on the icon twice takes you to something called a profile post, which is visible to all. I don't get the reason for the existence of a "profile post".

What I like about the "conversation" feature on a different site using this platform is that the conversation option allows for more than two people to be engaged in a private conversation, while PM is strictly a one on one private conversation.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ok, I think I've got it straight now. The term "conversations" was partly what was throwing me...for some reason I thought that was referring to the visible-to-all, non-private posts...otherwise known as profile posts apparently.

But as far as I can tell, BOTH of the "start PM" buttons will take you to the private message area...so they do appear to be labeled correctly.

Unless I'm still wrong and confused...which cannot be entirely ruled out.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
S'OK, Brian, the term Conversations also threw me off when pcmech.com moved from vBulletin to Xenforo and I kept looking for Private Messages without finding them. Yeah, I think Xenforo calls private communications 'Conversations' because more than two can participate: this also threw me off over there when another member invited yet another member to a private messaging instance we had started. Good these Convos are kept private, we wouldn't want the mods to know when we're privately discussing cigs and hookas, right? ?

Reactions: brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah, I see there's an option to "lock" the "conversation".

Maybe Kevin needs to offer an on-line course for the slower among us like me to qualify for operating our accounts.

Jun 27, 2016
Ok, I think I've got it straight now. The term "conversations" was partly what was throwing me...for some reason I thought that was referring to the visible-to-all, non-private posts...otherwise known as profile posts apparently.

But as far as I can tell, BOTH of the "start PM" buttons will take you to the private message area...so they do appear to be labeled correctly.

Unless I'm still wrong and confused...which cannot be entirely ruled out.

Sounds like you've got it. Also, I missed the "Start PM" button available when you first click on a users name, you can just use that one.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
What is the "reaction score" listed when you click on usernames?

I searched on the term and found nothing.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Drying the server in the microwave? Briar servers versus corncob servers? The last page of this thread gave me a couple good laughs puf

Jun 27, 2016
I noticed a possible bug where I set the "New posts" page as a bookmark in my mobile browser & re-open it later, the list is no longer exactly chronological. My "New posts" bookmark on my desktop works normally with everything always listed chronologically. Also if I set "What's new" as the bookmark, everything works normally on my systems. But not my "New posts" bookmark in my mobile browser.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
On the other forum sites that use this platform, both conversations and PM's are private as far as I know.
I don't get this. Used to be (I know) you just PM d someone. Now, it posts to your profile if you don't do it right. That's FU...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes do not post anything private on profile posts. Everyone can see those. The private messages are now conversations ( used to be called PMs)

Jun 27, 2016
Any guesses as to when the "Leave Conversations" function will be fixed?
I've got 10 pages of junk mail here that I can't get rid of.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Any guesses as to when the "Leave Conversations" function will be fixed?
I've got 10 pages of junk mail here that I can't get rid of.
I thought in one of the many threads about the new site, Kevin showed us how to delete old PMs. Ill try to dig around and find it

I see now, still doesn't work. I was able to leave individual conversations and they would dissapear, but selecting multiple ones it won't work. When he's not busy, he should see this...

@admin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.