Status
Not open for further replies.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Hello everyone,
So my order from Smoking Pipes arrived today containing:
Savinelli Champagne 707KS

100g McClelland Christmas Cheer (Will likely enjoy a few bowls of this around the holidays and cellar the rest for next year)

8oz Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (It was their last of this blend in stock in any size and I've heard such good things so I figured I wouldn't mind the bulk)

4oz Lane Limited 1Q (Very excited to try this as well. Nothing special, I know, but I've heard legends told :))
34sfql4.jpg

On the way still:
4oz Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

(2) 100g Peterson Christmas Blend 2012 tins (1 tin will be cellared for a year, the other one will likely be consumed by New Years!)

2oz Peter Stokkebye Nougat
OK, now here is the issue:
When I unpackaged the Savinelli I noticed the stem was kind of dull. Seeing as the box was cold I figured it was condensation so I wiped it a bit with a microfiber and it didn't do much. Fast forward about 5 minutes I noticed it is slightly green. This is about 10 minutes after getting the pipe, which is new and unsmoked not an estate mind you, and it's kind of disheartening that it doesn't look great right out of the box.
That said, should I contact Smoking Pipes in regards to this or is there a quick and easy fix to reverse this and prevent it from happening? I remember reading something about mineral oil inhibiting oxidation but will it remove what is already there?
Cheers!

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
As usual, thank you for the stellar response roth! I definitely do not intend to return the pipe, I am already thoroughly in love!
Is the Simple Green safe enough to not mess with the brass or the Savinelli crown stamp? I just placed another order yesterday, emailed them to see if it's too late to add in some Obsidian Pipe Oil, hopefully it's not.
Any break-in recommendations? I notice it has a pre-carbed bowl finish so it should be relatively simple as long as I keep it cool.
Thanks again!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Same thing happened to me. Unwrapped a birthday present, looked at it, put the stem in my mouth and blam.
Nice order btw. That LBF is tasty. Don't be to hard on it the first few times you smoke it. It really starts to gel the older it gets.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Thanks everyone!
As for the oxidation, I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser lightly as I've seen in recommended multiple places and don't have any Simple Green around. The oxidation is now gone, but I'm having trouble return the shine using olive oil. Am I supposed to let it soak in a while before wiping the excess oil off?
Jah76: Thank you for the tip! What do you personally do? Roll and stuff, cube cut, or rub it out?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Fold and stuff.
I like it with a nice cup of coffee. The contrasting taste really brings out the sweetness for me.
LBF wants to be loved.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
That sounds great to me, nothing like a fresh ground brew and some quality leaf :)
Edit: Just ordered the kit from Walker Briar Works, quite the deal I must say. I'll just have to put up w/ the dull spot until then.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Thank you for the advice and comments, all. I actually do have some gun cloths laying around but since I ordered the Walker Full Stem Restore Kit I just won't worry about shining it up until the kit arrives.
It says on the site that after deoxidizing the stem I should apply the carnauba wax every 1-2 months and the oxidation will never return. Anyone have this kit and if so how often do you wax the stem? I'm thinking I'll likely do it more often than not since I'm pretty meticulous with keeping my things clean and shiny, but is there such thing as waxing the stem too often?
Roth: Cube cut seems like it would be my choice as well, anyone have a favorite tutorial/video to share?
Just got back from a walk were I took the Sav and started the break in with a bowl of Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew and it has just now become apparent to me how lousy the draw was on my French basket bulldog. This pipe smokes like a dream. I must say that I love the pre-carbed finish inside the bowl of the Sav, seems to drastically lighten the chore of breaking in a fresh pipe :)
In short: I am thrilled with this purchase and I'm ready to add another pipe to the stable now... here we go!

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Awesome pipe, and sorry to hear about the oxidation of the stem out of the box. Happened to me once with a Peterson Mark Twain. I decided to sand it off and rebuff it. rebornpipes.com has some great tutorials on this kind of restorative work and it's not really complicated at all. I use Obsidian oil to preserve my vulcanite and ebonite stems and it works really well!
Cheers,
Nic

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Sounds simple enough. I'll probably cut the strips thicker around 1/4" as I'm more often smoking outdoors and I find with finer cut tobacco the wind can easily get it rolling and heat up far too much. I actually did the saliva trick today as the wind was blowing my Zippo all over the place. I'm happy to report there was no charring :) Thank's mate!
Nic, I really appreciate that reference source! It's surely going to come in handy along the way.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Thank you kindly, good sir! Being a "novice" it truly means a lot to hear that! This pipe will never leave my hands as it's my first quality pipe. I intend to still be smoking this until it's passed down to a child of mine, be they a smoker or not.
I will be sure to update this thread with pictures after restoring the stem and will most definitely let you know my opinion on cube cutting the LBF, Roth.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Nice pipe! I would definitely keep it and do one of the deoxidation suggestions noted above.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
The "gun cloth" is something old-timers use on their stems -- any stems (hell, the briar as well) but if you're using the Obsidian Oil on your rubber stems, it's pretty much unnecessary.
my standard cleaning is to run a 12ga bore brush into the bowl, pipe cleaners until clean, then a wipe down with the wax cloth. doesn't really add a layer of wax just shines everything nice before going into the rack for some rest. when it comes out of the rack I give it a little buff with a mirco-fiber cloth and it's looks like new.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking pipe and great advice by roth. I too love my vulcanite stems and Obidisian is a God send. Before I found that stuff, keeping my stems free of oxidization was a pain, but now it is a non issue. Congrats on your new pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.