PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Also, the Luna pipes engineering looks questionable to start with and this one is a second. Think about it.

sojin

Lurker
Apr 2, 2012
Haha, well then. I ordered the LUNA a little earlier, having checked back here before I did, and now I check back and see the last six posts suggesting I do otherwise, haha.

Oh well, I am not one to get discouraged by things like tough cleaning and what not. Though I obviously will stray away from problems like that. I already plan on buying more pipes shortly. I am also content in that I have heard tons of good stuff about LUNA pipes from scouring the internet. I really appreciate all of your advice! I think the Bjarne will be my next. I am not sure if I will buy another churchwarden soon after or not. I look forward to being a member of the community here and learning as I go. Thanks again to everyone that gave me advice here. Now I just have to get some tobacco and let you all know how it goes.

brownbilliard

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2012
You're getting yourself into a world of trouble friend. Just remember, you can always go out and buy a Missouri Meerschaum corncob for $5-$10 that will smoke 10X better than that thing. Also, there will always be a line of Lord of the Rings fanatics like you that would love to buy that pipe on Ebay :rofl:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Sojin, I had a feeling nobody was going to talk you out of this pipe. You have a wizard costume you're going to wear while smoking this, aren't you? Admit it.
Toker... "hore"? Really?! That couldn't have looked right even to you.

sojin

Lurker
Apr 2, 2012
I dont think I will sell my first pipe regardless of how poorly it smokes. I took the advice given by Lawrence to heart. I admit Tolkien was a big influence in getting me to try this out.
You are wrong bigvan, in fact the first pipe I came here with was a fantasy inspired churchwarden on ebay that I decided against due to advice from the members here. I didn't get much feedback on the LUNA pipe until after I had already ordered. I watched many youtube reviews and read a few as well, that did nothing but praise their pipes. I will live. I was looking for other pipes I enjoyed the look of and all I came across was the Bjarne pipe. Maybe as I get more into this hobby, I will start to appreciate other styles, but I really wanted a churchwarden. A big selling point for me was how I have heard that churchwardens smoke cool. I wish I had a wizard costume, haha.
Believe me, I have been on the other end, trying to give friends advice on hobbies I was experienced in, and for them to not heed my advice and end up with a poor experience always frustrated me, so the last thing I wanted to do was ignore what was said here. But at the same time, Tolkien and the whole fantasy style churchwarden look are among the main factors of why I want to give this a whirl. The other being I cant think of a better activity to just sit outside and enjoy the weather and a book with.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Sojin, people gave you all sorts of advice on what kind of pipes to buy, that thing that you purchased doesn't even come close to any of the advice that was given to you. I really hope we are all wrong and you knew more than the collective wisdom and you enjoy that thing, but somehow I doubt it. As Rod Stewart sang "poor young grandson there's nothing I can say. You'll have to learn, just like me and that's the hardest way."
That's not a church warden there are hundreds of wonderfully designed and excellent smokingnchurchnwardens and that's not one, it's more a set prop.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Try one of these from Stanwell.

click on pic to enlarge:

If I had a dollar for every mistake I made in pipes and tobacco, I'd be a rich man. In this forum, you have a great deal of experience for free at your finger tips!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Hello, sojin. Welcome to the forum.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope you enjoy your new pipe. If not, I guess the worst that can happen is that it will make an excellent wall decoration. If it comes to that, here are some more suggestions for you to keep in mind.
I have a Savinelli Quandale Churchwarden that I like.
Vauen makes some dual stem pipes that look very "Gandalfish". They can be used as a churchwarden or as a standard pipe.
If those are too expensive, I'd suggest a cob pipe with a Forever Stem. The churchwarden stems can make a cob look pretty stylish.
Whatever you decide to do, I suggest you save your money and get the best quality pipe you can afford. It should last you the rest of your life. Your fascination with characters in a book may or may not.

Status
Not open for further replies.