PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
In my experience,1-Q doesn't ghost much if at all.
Now Mixture 79 is a real stinker when it comes to ghosting, but fortunately you don't have that problem,
A few bowls of Virginia or Burley should easily exorcise that 1-Q ghost, so I wouldn't worry about it.
A good swabbing out with a Brandy soaked pipe cleaner will accomplish the same results.

Sep 18, 2015
I agree that most ghosting can be smoked out fairly easily, not always though, I smoked maybe 6-7 bowls of Sutliff Summer night’s (Raspberry) in a new unbranded German pot about 8 years ago and to this day I still get a taste of it, this is one of my “work” pipes that gets smoked 5 times every week.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I don't believe there is such a thing as ghosting. There's only "flavor enhancement". Anything else is just a dirty pipe.
Yeah I tried to smoke some bold Kentucky to reset the taste and realized I had just smoked too much out of that pipe without letting it rest as it was my only one , I think it soured , I have a few now and I’m resetting it with the ever clear kosher salt method and I’ll try to rotate more in the future , I’m coming from cigarettes so I smoke a lot …thanks all for your help

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other oft cited ghost busters are getting rid of any cake, although this shouldn't be a problem with a new pipe, flushing out the bowl and airway with water (just don't soak the pipe), and scrubbing out the bowl with an abrasive paper towel or even give it a light sanding with fine grain sandpaper.

I've never had a problem with aromatics ghosting pipes. Mixture No. 79 hasn't been a problem, nor have most other tobacco forward aromatic bends. Lakeland with rose geranium is a problem, but for that, just designate a pipe. If you have highly sensitive taste buds, designate all your pipes. And count yourself lucky for having such critical and analytical taste sensors.

Reactions: paulfg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Other oft cited ghost busters are getting rid of any cake, although this shouldn't be a problem with a new pipe, flushing out the bowl and airway with water (just don't soak the pipe), and scrubbing out the bowl with an abrasive paper towel or even give it a light sanding with fine grain sandpaper.

I've never had a problem with aromatics ghosting pipes. Mixture No. 79 hasn't been a problem, nor have most other tobacco forward aromatic bends. Lakeland with rose geranium is a problem, but for that, just designate a pipe. If you have highly sensitive taste buds, designate all your pipes. And count yourself lucky for having such critical and analytical taste sensors.

Interesting how different our taste buds can be. I have a friend who smokes mostly lakelands. He smokes any blend in any pipe and says the previous smoking of lakelands in a pipe doesn't affect anything for him - even a nice straight Virginia. He thinks anyone who says different is completely delusional. He smokes his pipe a lot, so I believe that's true for him. Me - I can't enjoy a straight VA if a tin of lakeland has even been waved quickly over a pipe.

I know you are probably jesting, but I'm going to do this with one of the pipes in my 'shit pipe' box. My girlfriend is dying to stomp one of my old fedoras, so I understand the need.
I have seriously smashed a few. And, low and behold they were aromatic ghosts that drove me nuts. IMO, they are way worse than Lakelands. I think that they differences of opinions, is that most guys secretly like aromatic flavors... like an in the closet sort of thing.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have seriously smashed a few. And, low and behold they were aromatic ghosts that drove me nuts. IMO, they are way worse than Lakelands. I think that they differences of opinions, is that most guys secretly like aromatic flavors... like an in the closet sort of thing.

I'm certain you are correct. I do enjoy a Lakeland now and then, as I began piping with them back in the 1980's; however, every now and then I am dying to smoke Wilke Rum & Maple or 515. Kind of like getting the urge to eat a doughnut, which almost never happens. But when it does, I eat several.

SmokeRings79

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2021
Israel
Don't worry about it and enjoy the ghost. Try an honest burley like Amphora Burley Blend. With the ghost you it will feel like an aro, but cool and tasty smoke.

Reactions: LotusEater

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Yeah I tried to smoke some bold Kentucky to reset the taste and realized I had just smoked too much out of that pipe without letting it rest as it was my only one , I think it soured , I have a few now and I’m resetting it with the ever clear kosher salt method and I’ll try to rotate more in the future , I’m coming from cigarettes so I smoke a lot …thanks all for your help
Apologies if I've mentioned this previously but if you'd like to ditch the cigarettes completely, this was my experience.

Any quit attempt off the cigs was torturous for me, I was seriously addicted.
Switching to a pipe was easier to quit cigs because puffing on a pipe was better than nothing.

Even one cigarette would knock me off the wagon regardless how long I'd abstained, so it was imperative for me to smoke nothing but my pipe when I transitioned.

At first it was a bit tough but not torturous. After a week or so it became much easier.
I've not had a cigarette in over 12 years and have not craved one since. Yukky things. :LOL:

Switching to a pipe has made a huge difference to my smoking habits and to my health.
My only regret is not doing it much sooner in life.

Reactions: LotusEater