PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Title shortened and recast. The former title:
"So I got a nice bent billiard and have smoked 1Q in it only to realize I don’t dig Aromatics much"

At least the ones I’ve tried. Been smoking 5 bros burley in a cob, and a few English/Scottish blends in a Warden. Wondering if there are stronger less chemically tasting Aros I might try ? Or what’s the best way to change horses midstream with this bent billiard ? There is not much of a cake at all maybe 10 bowls worth can I save it by smoking straight Virginia or Burley through it or have the Aros ghosted/ruined it? Are there Good natural tasting Aros I should try to cake it with and enjoy? Thanks so much in advance. I love this place…

Last edited by a moderator:

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
If you're creating a lot of smoke than you're smoking a pipe too fast. Doubly so when smoking aromatics. There's no such thing as permanent ghosting and can just be smoked out with burley or English blends.
Thanks, checking with the pros. Yeah and the tongue bite with aros is no joke , hoping I can refine my technique with Burley and English before I go to straight Virginias ( hear they burn hot too)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks, checking with the pros. Yeah and the tongue bite with aros is no joke , hoping I can refine my technique with Burley and English before I go to straight Virginias ( hear they burn hot too)
Once you get a handle on technique, aromatics are quite pleasant. For the time being, deertongue blends such as Crooner, Gentleman Caller, New Market, and Engine 382 from Cornell & Diehl may be to your liking. They're spiced with the deertongue herb and have a slight vanilla/baking spices profile.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
If you want better quality, less chemically aromatics, check out the offerings at The Country Squire. They have some really good options, from simple (like 1Q) to more complex (Aro English). Lots of house blended options there, and great people to boot!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
During the course of a day I smoke from a few different genres in any pipe that's handy.
Some blends are better in a smaller bowl and some Burley blends taste better in a cob but apart from that, I don't have any problems with ghosting from aromatics so don't have dedicated pipes for any particular genre.

Tastes change over time so don't ditch your aro's. Just jar them and forget. You'll probably eventually come back to them.
There was a time when I went off aromatics for a few months but then occasionally hankered for something sweet.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
As someone who smokes mainly aromatics, let me say that aromatics are not for everyone. There are some aros that I don't like and won't buy again.

What aromatics did you try? There are many good ones out there that are considered light aromatics or crossover blends. I find Bagpiper's Dream to be a light aromatic (topped with cognac) for example. MacBaren's Mixture Scottish Blend is another one you may like.

The ones I usually find with a heavy medicinal aftertaste are usually cherry blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not surprised 1-Q ghosts. For years (and years) I've had a bowl or two of 1-Q in a jar as a leftover I never smoke. That stuff is like the Hostess Twinkie nailed to the gas station wall. It remains too moist and smells of over-flavoring, as it always has. I suspect I smoked it regularly under a different name, maybe from the local Tinder Box. Maybe one day I'll smoke it up ... or not.