Not open for further replies.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Peterson Pipes have the finest engineering that can be found on pipes

20140502_075319.jpg

20140502_080409.jpg

I agree about their system pipes. I have one and it smokes like a dream.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I have had the opposite experience from most on this posting I guess. I've had several system Petersons, and they all gurgled.

I won't buy another Peterson for that very reason. Other pipes that I have that are of similar shape to the bent Petersons, have not gurgled, while a few others have. Was it the way they were built? The briar used? The way I packed them? Smoked them? Who knows.

I know that just because a pipe is bent, doesn't mean that it will gurgle. I have a Savinelli, a Ser Jacopo, a Cristiano and an Ashton, fully bent. They have never gurgled. I once had an S. Bang Oom Paul that never once gurgled. And I smoked them just the same as I do every other pipe. Why some gurgle and some don't, I wish I knew.

As I wrote in another post, the only Peterson I kept is a Sherlock Holmes system pipe. I use Savinelli 6mm balsa inserts pushed down into the reservoir. It smokes like it should then.

Some people are less bothered with the gurgle than I am. I once asked an older pipe guy who was smoking a drugstore pipe if he was ever bothered with it gurgling. He said it did, but he just blew it back into the bowl, and continued smoking.

I tried that and ashes flew everywhere. It never seemed to bother him though.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I have a Peterson bent Rhodesian, they call it '999', and it often gurgles. It's not the end of the world imho, in fact I barely consider it a problem. If it gets too bad/annoying, you could run a cleaner into it and absorb some of the moisture.
In my case I'm pretty certain it's because I tend to keep the pipe in my mouth rather than in my hand, so it's a saliva issue I guess rather than wet tobacco or a design flaw.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
They wouldn't be around as long as they have if they were crap. I can make any pipe gurgle. Hope you solve your problem.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
The gurgle is precisely why I only use a certain Peterson for the nubs of Opus X's.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Just had my first few pipefuls with my Pete 303 yesterday. No gurgle or even anything in the trap yet. Was smoking a straight virgina tobacco.
Better luck with yours mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.