PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I just got a new Peterson in the mail. Christmas 2014 Rusticated Fishtail. It is a beautiful pipe. I have not bought a new one before. I loaded it up with some SPC Plum Pudding yesterday morning and it was good, until about halfway through it started to gurgle. I have had bent pipes gurgle before, but I am curious. Could this be becasue it is new or just the tobacco choice or a combination of those? thanks
peteson.jpg

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
it was not very at all that's why I asked. Maybe i smoked too fast...being eager to try the new pipe..IDK.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Once the gurgle it's all down hill from there. I think you should get rid of it immediately. I'll be happy to do so for you...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Try it with some dryer tobacco, or just dry that blend out. Handsome pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke bents almost exclusively. I do not own a pipe that hasn't "gurgled" on me every now and then. It usually occurs when moisture from my mouth gets into the pipe. My dentist has commented more than once that my mouth is a saliva making machine. I tend to keep the pipe in my mouth, not in my hand, so moisture gets into the pipe.
It's usually me that causes the pipe to gurgle, not the blend or the loading.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Sorry to hear about the gurgle. They can be tricky to fix, if possible. Beautiful pipe though. I'm assuming you cant reach the moisture with a pipe cleaner? If not try drying the tobacco more. Other than that, IDK. I was gonna ask for one of those for Christmas, now I think Ill be going with a straight one.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
well I think @warren is on to something... I too clentch and while I don't know if I salivate more than the next guy/gal, that could be my issue.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Could be a bunch of things.

Tobacco type and moisture level, packing technique, smoking to fast or hot, pipe design flaw, ect.
For what it's worth, I have a Pete "01" in the Dracula series that I bought as an estate from sparrowhawk.

Mine smokes beautifully!

That being said, any pipe can be made to gurgle if something's done wrong, either on the makers part, or on your end.
I have pipes that ordinarily never gurgle, but can be provoked to do so if I screw up on my loading, or smoking cadence.

That being said, I also have pipes that gurgle no matter what I do.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I too clentch and while I don't know if I salivate more than the next guy/gal, that could be my issue.
This is the primary reason why clenching for any length of time is a big challenge for me. I'm definitely afflicted with over-active saliva glands.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Just my two cents but I use a softy bit and just move it half a CM down the stem, That way when clenching the business end of the stem is pointing more towards the roof of my mouth and is obviously half a cm in so no moisture etc from tongue.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have a Peterson Christmas pipe myself, though a different shape. It performs flawlessly. In fact, moments ago I ordered my third Peterson, an Oom Paul. I'll post if it gurgles. I'm betting it will not. :D
Maybe try a slower, cooler cadence?
petersonchristmaspipe_zpse19085b3.jpg

gamxiaoyuan

Might Stick Around
Sep 12, 2014
China
Most of my pipes are bent. They just gurgle. It's very normal especially when you clench. Don't worry pal.

FYI. I have several Peterson too. They are good pipes and they gurgle. Don't down grade them just for that. :)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Lucky, congrats on the stunning pipe!
I certainly wouldn't draw conclusions to quickly, a little fiddling and it should get sorted out. And if you decide to pitch it, pitch it my way!

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
just tried it again with Penzance... less gurgle. but still there. I did go slower... mostly to enjoy the Penzance longer.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm betting its the way the pipe is drilled. I have a bias against Peterson Pipes (love their shapes not their engineering) so lets get that out right now.
They are almost always drilled with a gap inside the mortise, at least the ones I've owned and inspected. Add to the fact that if the airway is drilled wrong, especially in a bent pipe, you will get a gurgle. I think the drilling of the airway within the shank and the stem is the key to avoid the gurgle. That is why you get Petes that are great smokers (praised) and ones that are not (not talked about).
If I am wrong, I apologize and hope to be corrected.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The very reason I don't prefer bent pipes is that when I do something wrong and the gurgle I can't run a pipe cleaner down and sop up the wetness.
As a side note, Peterson Pipes have the finest engineering that can be found on pipes, bar none.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I've found that the only bent Petersons that smoke well for me are the system pipes. I've tried non-system bents on multiple occasions and they have always gurgled for me. I believe it is all about the drilling. Get a straight or a system and you'll be on easy street.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
All of my Pete's are very old, so I don't know if new Pete tennon's are countersunk, but using a drill to do this gets rid of the gurgle most of the time in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.