PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnyblack

Lurker
Oct 8, 2018
For those that are interested. It’s called the Franklin on their website. Similar bulldog shape as the previous anniversary pipe, but with a vulcanite stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Definitely attractive. I don't get all of my well-loved cobs smoked often enough as it is, but I really like the MM pipes that come with a Vulcanite or acrylic stem, since I regard them as permanent pipes anyway, and don't want the bother of replacing stems.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
The acrylic stem on "The Emerald" is not very good. I sent a Email if they would sell the vulcanite stem so I can toss the acrylic stem. Let's see. I have ordered 1 "The Franklin" anyway.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Cool shape.
Jgd3cHB.jpg

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I bought the first pipe and love it but have managed to chew a hole in the original stem. MM says a replacement is not available for it. I am ordering the new one and requesting an extra vulcanite stem to serve for a replacement for the previous one. Wish me luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I went to the MM site looking for the Frankln and seriously considered it, but was spirited away from it by the Carolina Gentleman, and how could I resist that, a pocket pipe with a big bowl and a "red acrylic Italian stem." I just got the email shipping notice. I also have the MM and Dagner short poker/sitter and the Charlie Town C&D and MM collaboration, a bent pipe, and now this C&D Carolina Gentleman. MM's are the most pipe for the buck anywhere. In the message block I said, "Please pick me out a pretty one."

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I ordered a new Franklin from MM and requested another vulcanite stem to replace the one I chewed a hole in on the first Bully. They replied (nicely) that replacement stems are not available but suggested one of their Danish stems. Ah well.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
$33 is a bit dear for a corn cob (approaching lower end Rossi territory), IMO, but I do like the pipe a lot. I think the stem and shank shapes widening to the mount, along with the metal band, really makes the difference. If I can snatch one up when I have a bit more cash to spend, I probably will.
Mso, let me know what you think of the Carolina Gent when you receive it, as I am also quite fond of that one. My only beef with the standard Country Gentleman is it's a bit long, and I think the shorter stem looks way better with that bowl. Looks like a perfect out-and-about or driving pipe.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
tulsagentleman
I send a note to MM about the same and they told me to goto Vermont Freehand for vulcanite stem...The 1st Bully stem is POS as I had to use Epoxy around the Tenon since the Stem would fall out.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I feel no need to buy this one since I got the last one. I was hoping they would go in a different direction looks wise.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Carolina Gentleman that I bought instead of the Franklin (because I live in North Carolina and also because I really fancy the red acrylic stem) arrives today according to the tracking that MM sent. This one totaled thirty bucks and change with shipping, but a few more dollars for the Franklin would be acceptable. I chew right through the regular MM cob stems. Since cobs tend to stay with me for ten years or more, a good cob with a good stem for around thirty bucks is a buy. I do like the Franklin, but the tall cylindrical bowl suits the cob material best to my eyes. I intend to post something about the Carolina Gentleman once I have a chance to put a few bowls of leaf through it. My experiences with MM cobs have been standard and always good, so I'm hoping this one sustains the run. Also, for reasons I cannot explain, I tend not to buy pipes of the year or commemorative pipes, maybe because pipes build their own auras for my own reasons, so I'd rather not have the manufacturer getting too far into that.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I agree with mso489. I cant say a cob (with hardwood plug) has ever failed for me out of anything but my own negligence. I personally think that any of the cobs that come with better than the plastic bits are worth more than they are priced at.
On a personal level, bulldog is my favorite shape, and cobs are my favorite pipe (or at least most smoked) so I am buying literally every one of these that comes out. I saw a bulldog cob on ebay that was probably from the 50s that I missed out on and have been wanting one ever since. These special editions satisfy that want for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MM cobs are an equalizer for pipe smoking, making an excellent experience available for most any working person. I wouldn't want to live in a world without fine artisan pipes, and works of art by master carvers costing thousands of dollars. But pipe smoking is better for the inclusiveness of the Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe. Or on the briar side, the Dr. Grabow pipes from the good folks in Sparta, N.C. and other similar pipe makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.