PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixon

Lurker
Sep 13, 2012
Hello Gentlemen. I am looking forward to gaining and sharing information. We seem to be a hidden breed these days. A Briar smoker, trapped in the clutches of Peterson's of Dublin in regards pipe and tobacco range, but am always happy to experience new mixes and advice. A pleasure to meet you all.

mikros

Lurker
Sep 13, 2012
Hello, Jeff here, my screen name "mikros" means small or little in greek, Im 6'3" and not exactly "small" lol my screen name comes from a dwarf toon I played on an MMORPG.
Far as pipes go my first one was a reed-stem clay pipe I bought as a prop basically for a furtrade re-enacting and muzzleloading club I was in (and hope to get back into soon). I decided to actually try that that pipe out (almost completely randomly picked out Captain Black White) and liked it so I got a few missouri meerschaums and eventually three briars too. Truth be told I think I like the way my corncobs and clay smokes better than my briars.
As of today I have 3 new clays coming in the mail and also a "forever stem" from Briarworks coming for my missouri meerschaums.
I have recently discovered I like Dunhill 965 and London Mix a lot. I intend to try Nightcap and Royal Yacht soon. Also like some of the Edward's house blends I have tried a lot, particularly Special Balkan and Pirate's Den.
Neat forum, looks fun.

sailorjohnny

Lurker
Sep 13, 2012
Hello All!
I started smoking a pipe years ago as a Navy type squid. I discovered that on long deployments everyone will bum your smokes, but they never want to share your pipe. Truly, one has never enjoyed a good bowl until you have done it standing on the bow watching the sun rise over the center of the Atlantic.
My original tobacco defense plan quickly developed into a full blown hobby collecting both pipes and interesting tobaccos. While life, kids and all that sort of crap has killed my "I think I'll blow a paycheck on a pipe or two today" days, I recently acquired a few very nice unsmoked estate pipes, and I decided to give a Mr. Brog a try.
I joined up here after much lurking without logging as I would not have purchased a Brog if I hadn't read some of the results posted in the forums. I must say, I am a convert now.
I am dry-docked in Nebraska these days, land of the "good luck even finding another pipe smoker" so I figured I would jump in on the converstations.

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
Hi everyone. I'm in Portland, OR and switched to pipe from cigs a few months ago and haven't looked back since! I'm still figuring out what I like most in a tobacco. I happened onto this site doing web searches about different types of pipe tobacco.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
Welcome, gageploungin, from another Portlander who hasn't been on here all that long. This is a great site full of information and knowledgeable people.
Welcome to all the other new people as well.

ncohen

Lurker
Sep 14, 2012
Hello fellow kapnismologists, my name is Norm. Despite the fact that I can't find this word in the dictionary, I know it has been used to designate us pipe smokers. I am new to this website, but not to pipe smoking. I discovered this site while web browsing and joined. I am looking forward to exploring it in depth. I am semi retired and live in South Florida, originally from Chicago. My father was a pipe smoker, and I have fond memories of pipes going back to my childhood. My father took me to purchase my first pipe and tobacco when I was about 15 years old, and I haven't really given it up since, hence 46 or 47 years of enjoying this hobby (ouch)! I have the majority of the pipes I have acquired since I started smoking, and have some interesting ones, both vintage and new. I smoke predominantly briar, my favorite shape is Canadian, but have a good representation of most shapes available in addition to freehands. I enjoy mostly natural English blends which lean heavy on Latakia, but also enjoy Oriental, Perique, and aged Virginians. I look forward to discovering and trying some new proprietary blends reccommended by members. I am also interested in exploring reccommended private tobacconists and trying some of those blends as well. I think it is getting progressively harder to find "true" tobacconists who blend their own, as opposed to buying blends in bulk and repackaging them for sale. There were several "true" tobacconists in Chicago, which sadly, are no more. I am interested in discussing with others some of the attributes of blends which are no longer available; such as the original Balkan Sobranie, Brush Creek, Bowl of Roses, etc. I am also intersted in discussing some of the books and magazines that have come and gone related to smoking in general, and pipe smoking in particular. Glad to be on board!

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Denver, CO

Daily Pipe Smoker

Good day everyone. My name is John and I started smoking pipes when I inherited my grandfathers pipe collection when I was in my youth. As I got older I tried Drug Store tobaccos and never felt like it was for me so I would get into smoking a pipe for a few weeks and then revert to cigarettes. I have smoked cigs for way too many years and now as I am a few years short of 40 I decided I needed a better way to smoke. I purchased an Italian pipe in 2004 that I smoked on and off until it broke in 2007. At that point I puffed on the pipe mainly on weekends and not much at all during those weekends. Now it is 2012 and I am really getting into pipe smoking due to wanting to quit smoking and the comments I heard from some ladies at a club when a guy was outside puffing on a pipe and they all thought the smell was amazing. I'll admit I suddenly was grasped with the feeling that "this is for me". I jumped online and purchased several pipes from various places and one locally over a 6 month period. I now have a "collection" with many tins of tobacco and bags of tobacconist blends procured locally.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C7%3Enu%3D9546%3E668%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3542%3B23%3A%3C734%3Bnu0mrj

I am already blending my own tobaccos together and have placed a very big 200 dollar order for a wide variety of bulk tobaccos to see what else is out there (great prices online if you look hard enough). I still smoke cigs at work but I plan to quit all together this winter. I guess I will need to find a pipe pouch so I can smoke my pipe quickly over lunch and not offend anyone when I have to bring it inside afterwards. But I can tell this is a fun hobby and so many new discoveries lie ahead! :)

jwill89

Lurker
Sep 17, 2012
Check this Beautiful pipe out, for sale on ebay.....

its a Savinelli Punto Oro Sea Coral Pipe, Here is the Link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savinelli-Punto-Oro-Sea-Coral-Tobacco-Pipe-Made-in-Italy-/140852094264

21maclaid

Lurker
Sep 18, 2012
g'day mates, i just recently started smoking a pipe, but i have been interested in pipe smoking ever since i was knee high to a mouse, i really enjoy just sitting in a chair with a glass of spiced rum and smoking a bowl over sunset. i have found that for me pipe smoking has become my form of deep meditation and i time for reflection on the day or week since i last had a pipe.
Just to introduce myself my name is Aidan, i am from a town named Orange about 250km west of sydney Australia

dolfbeeler

Lurker
Sep 18, 2012
Hi folks. Geez, one day and I already have five friends. You guys sure don't leave a stranger to cool his heels on the back porch around here. Thanks!
I'm not really the "collector" sort. I inherited a few pipes years ago and have taken up the vice mostly because my principle vice, cigarettes, got so darned expensive. I buy a new pipe now and again (or let family buy them as presents, they gotta give me something, right?) and occasionally I try some fancy new tobacco, but mostly I stick to the Prince in the tried and true.
Anyhow, it's nice to find this place and I'll be seeing you folks around.

ramblinhawk

Lurker
Sep 19, 2012
Hello to everyone. My name is Jeff, I'm in my early 30s, and I'm a lawyer in a small town in Southeast Nebraska. I have two young daughters and a beautiful wife. Outside of work and family, my interests are primarily musical: I play piano (some pop, jazz, and classical), occasionally violin, am the principal organist at my church, and occasionally sing some barbershop music. I've been smoking cigars since college and continue to do so, but purchased a cheap straight pipe (here: http://tinyurl.com/cq9bs2d) and some bulk tobacco (here: http://tinyurl.com/cdzowfj) back in June. Aside from that I know nothing about pipes, pipe tobacco, or pipe smoking. I got frustrated at first, because I could not keep the pipe lit. I'm getting better at that, thanks to some helpful YouTube videos and articles that I found. I found this site through Google.
I'm looking forward to reading through the archives and learning more about pipes and tobacco. I would also appreciate any pipe recommendations for a newbie, and tobaccos that you think a cigar smoker like me might enjoy.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
Hello everyone. I'm Kevin. I am another disgruntled sports fan from the Buffalo, NY area. I started smoking a pipe about 2 months ago. Like a lot of others, I usually smoke cigars but wanted to venture out and try something new. I am lucky enough to have 4 tobacconists within a 35 minute drive from my house. The closest one being about 5 minutes away.
I have 6 briar pipes which include 2 Dr. Grabows, a Molina and 3 pipes from local pipe makers. I also have 6 corn cobs that I have in the rotation.
I have been lurking here learning a lot about this hobby and I want to say thanks for all the information that you all have inadvertently provided me.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
Hello there, I've been a on and off pipe smoker for about 5 years now, and I am still learning everyday, I was on other internet forums, but I though a change of scenery was in order, you know, that whole expand your horizons thing! lol I am a huge Brigham pipe fan, I own almost 2 dozens, and smoke one every day! My favorite tobaccos at the moment is luxury navy flake, from Peter Stokkebye and carter hall. But to be honest, I have rarely tried a tobacco I despise! I look forward to getting to know all of you fine folks!

boozezombie

Lurker
Sep 21, 2012
I'm a 22 year old Welsh man attending college, I've casually smoked cigars and cigarettes on a social or "spur of the moment" basis and gotten the basics down. Looking for a more smooth and flavoursome method of enjoying smoke in my mouth, I decided to invest in a pipe, which is being delivered as I type.
My first pipe of my own ownership will be a Mr Brog pearwood churchwarden and I've just bought some Kendal vanilla shag for my pipe when it comes along, so we'll see how this all goes. Hopefully I'll become a regular member of the community, inbetween college education sessions and partying, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.