PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like since the site has been upgraded the number of new members has ballooned. Every day there are more. I have detected only a few who are super-active once they introduce themselves, but some do original posts. Any ideas what drew the accelerated number of new members? A few of the pre-upgrade members have gone quiet, but not many. I was glad to see long-timer foggy mountain back with a critique of his Mercedes and its computer problems, the car now sold.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Don't worry piano, we'll be sure to stay off your lawn :LOL:
Maybe it has to do with search engine results? Google almost any question you could possibly have about smoking a pipe and this website is almost always in the top three results, with several threads on every topic. Granted, it was like that before the site change, but it's impossible to be interested in pipes nowadays workout making your way to this site. Plus out of all the forums I'm on, this is easily the one with the most activity. I'd bet it's a combination of more people googling for information and lurkers finally saying hello

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I agree with blues4goose's theory. It's the reason I'm here. I recently picked up the pipe, and every question or topic I searched for lead me to this site. I lurked for a little while and decided to join and participate. There are several forums out there, but this one seems to have the most knowledge and activity. (If we are going with labels, I'm not a millennial. I'm an older Gen X.) I think a lot of people (incl. me) still like reading about activities like pipe smoking instead of - or in addition to - watching videos or listening to podcasts. This forum has enough variety and content to fill that need.

colossonaut

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
Colorado
I went to login to reply to this and realized that though I've been lurking for years, I've never made an account. So to answer your question, you are the reason for new members, at least this one in particular.

But in all seriousness, I've been reading about the "pipe renaissance" for a number of years now. As more people are interested in the hobby, it only makes sense that they would, at some point, end up on this website. It is a fantastic resource that I've used to learn more about manufacturers, styles, techniques, and to get a general consensus on a plethora of pipe-related topics. It also doesn't hurt that this community is generally friendly and welcoming (at least when they aren't trying to start hypocritical generation wars with younger enthusiasts)

Good to finally talk to you mso! You're considered a bit of a legend in the pipe community based purely on your guruship on this site. Hopefully this won't be our last correspondence.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
My guess? Pipes are having a resurgence and millennials like using the internet to tell them how to live their lives instead of just living them.

Half the time on these forums I can’t tell if I’m being trolled. Maybe I’m sensitive from too much time on Usenet in the nineties.

Is the above quotation someone (using a forum) to tell others (also using a forum) that these new people (using the forum) are somehow deficient for using a forum?

Presumably, these millennials are unlike the other generations, who wouldn’t be caught dead using a forum. Unless it’s to complain about forum use among millennials. ;)

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
So to answer your question, you are the reason for new members, at least this one in particular.

This is true of me as well. Mso threads have always been my favourite here. He puts so much care into being a great conversationalist. It’s a rarity these days to have an engaging conversation with someone and not come away knowing their politics or their position on veganism.

I also joined to be schooled by sablebrush, corrected by Cosmic, and called an addict or a dilettante by warren.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm not going to weigh in on the generational boomers vs. Millenials vs. X vs. Whatever debate because I'm quite frankly bored with that whole 'issue'.

I think its great there are so many new members and that they are posting. We all stand to gain from fresh perspectives. I also think its great that some regulars from before the Great Update have stuck around.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Half the time on these forums I can’t tell if I’m being trolled. Maybe I’m sensitive from too much time on Usenet in the nineties.

Is the above quotation someone (using a forum) to tell others (also using a forum) that these new people (using the forum) are somehow deficient for using a forum?

Presumably, these millennials are unlike the other generations, who wouldn’t be caught dead using a forum. Unless it’s to complain about forum use among millennials. ;)
I was having fun with the idea of "crowding" in, no offense intended. Back to my lawn;)

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I think part of the draw is the face that fleabay is not allowing the sale of tobacco's and if people want to sell or trade this is an excellent place to do it!

As the members grow so will the fs treads and also to chat it up, learn and discuss things that maybe relative to the piping industry!

I think part of the draw is the face that fleabay is not allowing the sale of tobacco's and if people want to sell or trade this is an excellent place to do it!

As the members grow so will the fs treads and also to chat it up, learn and discuss things that maybe relative to the piping industry!

Until the Nazi's (YES, I said Nazi's) figure it out and devise a plan to stop us from even trading with friends...

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA

This is an excellent point, I didn't think of that. I just tried to sell a full set of Liga Privada Unico cigars from 2016 last week to pay for a new pipe, and ebay took it down right after I got a $100 bid ?
I listed them on BOTL but no bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.