PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Hey folks, i am a new member here, i have been enjoying and learning from this brilliant community for a few days so hello to everyone.

The question i would like to ask in my first thread is have any of you had any experience with butz-choquin pipes, in particular the mirage 1596? I know they are french made and reportedly not bad. I found this particular model and it appeals for use as my main straight pipe but before i buy it im looking for quality first hand experience. Thank you all :)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Snewton: Welcome aboard ! And my usual welcome note.. Sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride ;-)
I like those stems on the Mirage series. But I'm a sucker for "funky" colored stems.
Anyways, I have 3 BC's. All are good smokers. Not the best, but good. They are definitely good looking pipes.
I also think the mirage comes with a coated bowl. I left it in, which gave for a little weird flavor the first 1/2 dozen bowls or so. But it did help the cake buildup to go quite nicely. I never cared.
Other people here have run a little bit of sand-paper on the inside of the bowl to remove some of the coating. But be careful to do only the inside of the bowl.
Finally, before you smoke, you may want to take it apart and see if it has a "stinger". It's a little metal insert that's supposed to help. I take them out. Slowly twist them out. Some of them screw in. Do it gently, it should come out no problem.
Good luck with the pipe.. and post a pic of it when you get a chance. We all love to drool over pipes ;-)

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Thank you both, and thanks for the info mick. I think it does come with a stinger. Never had one before so i might as well give it a little go, but i know il be taking it out. Hehe and here is me pretending i havent already decided to buy it... Il try and fool myself a litle longer, that way il feel like i tried harder to restrain myself when im keying in those credit card details!

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
Welcome and sorry I cant help ya but the site daddy like us to use capital eyes its not a sin mind ya and I am very guilty of it as well I normally just type then make sure I go back and edit using the shift key .Anyway I am sure someone on site will be able to help ya sooner or later.

Happy puffin

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Thanks PawPaw, Il try to remember that. Im normally pretty good with grammar but Im writing this on my phone so its a little harder.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
I have two BC's both good smokers, very happy with them, also welcome to the site. :puffy:

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Thanks Pipedisciple, Im feeling quite reassured that a BC will be a good buy and a nice addition the the collection.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
.. and post a pic of it when you get a chance.

Welcome snewton. We love pics. Also feel free to introduce yourself. You can do that here or in the New Member Thread. It's nice to get to know one another.

I hope you enjoy your time here.
the site daddy like us to use capital eyes

He also likes us to use capitals in the Thread Titles. (New Member)

Kevin does a lot for us, so it's not a lot to ask of us.
Anyway, welcome and enjoy. :puffy:

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome to this fine forum. I cannot help with your question, but hope that whatever you purchase will be a good smoker for you.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I only have six pipes, three I had to save when I sold my collection and three I've been given. The three I just had to save were:
SMS meerschaum stright Dublin, because I don't have to let it rest as much as the briars.

Tomas Cristiano half bent wide bowl, because it has a lot of birdseye and actually makes the smoke sweeter.

My Butz Choquin short straight small billiard.
I had dozens of briars and my BC was one of my two favorites. I can recommend them heartily.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I'll post his pic from an obscure site, trusting that's not where he may be looking at it ;-)
MIRAGE_1596_L.jpg

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Thank you all for your kind welcomes, and thanks Mick for posting up a picture for everyone, that is indeed the pipe that I fancy. I think it looks like a lovely pipe, I have been wanting a decent quality straight but i wanted something different from the usual shapes. This seems to fit the bill. Now its just a question of when! Probably around 2-4 days before i cave in...

Anyways Philip kindly reminded me I havent properly introduced myself, my name is Stuart, I live in the U.K., I havent been piping for very long but have learnt a lot in a short space of time. I am a hobbyist only, lighting up around 5 bowls a weekend and sometimes one or two through the week, but usually not. I find that I get more enjoyment this way, as my pipes are a welcome treat at the end of the week when I can sit out on a night and not think about having to get up for work etc. Hope you all feel you know me a little better now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.