Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

[sticky]

New Members, Introduce Yourself!

(1821 posts)
  1. bocabriar

bocabriar

Login to Send PM

Hello there,
    Developed an overnight infatuation with pipe smoking less than two months ago. Smoked a pipe in high school, perhaps a dozen times, then nearly 30 years later, after a water cooler conversation at work that involved pipe smoking, I'm on ebay buying estate lots,.. ordering tobacco online,.. buying cobs and basket briars and OTC tobacco.
    Joining up here seems an obvious next step on my way to escalating to a full blown obsession. I look forward to having none of you try to talk some sense into me.
    OK,...what else...i'm 43,....beautiful wife and daughter.....enjoy drinking cold beer and Irish whiskey and playing guitar and singing....usually all at once. And now, under the right conditions, i'll try and do all that with a big ol' corncob hanging outta my yap! Can't wait!

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. pipewife

pipewife

Login to Send PM

I promised Yavuz I'd join up to post up brag pics of my Storient pipe(s) when I get it (them?). Hubby has been smoking a pipe for almost a year now (at my suggestion) now I have joined the fun as well.

If the tobacco has CHOCOLATE in the name, then surely you bought it for ME!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. badbriar

badbriar

Login to Send PM

Hello - Rob here from Central Florida. I'm only been enjoying pipes for about a year and a half now. Made the move to include pipes along with having a good cigar occasionally. Turned out to be a good decision indeed! I find pipes to be more sophisticated and scholarly. I particularly like the fact that there is quite a bit of variation in the different tastes of pipe tobaccos available.

I'd like to start a local pipe club in the Central Florida area and am told that this forum may be a good source of information and support. Looking forward to seeing what the future brings...

RR

It takes me all night to do what I used to do all night, but I'm still doing it!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bschoenb

Login to Send PM

New from Michigan is Bo.

I'm a casual 50-somethin' partaker that alwayed loved the flavor of Tabacco. But, I'm a bit of an anti-Cigarette kinda guy. I hate the smell, never tried them, nor do I inhale. Seems like a waste of tobacco to me? I'm in in for the flavor and started to sample Cigars over 20 years ago. I like the stonger full flavored blends.

At the same time I tried a Dr Grabow and some OTC. Burned the $#@$ out of my mouth and through out the pipe and stayed w/the occasional cigar instead. Over the last couple years started to want more "flavor" with my occasional cigar and looked to Pipe Tabacco as a way to expand my flavor profile. My pipe of choice is a Churchwarden that keeps those tongue memories away while it forces me to sit down and truly enjoy that occasional smoke while I think.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. rondyr

rondyr

Login to Send PM

Howdy!

The name is Rondy, and I am a 34 year old resident of the crappy state of Maryland and a single dad to the most awesome kiddo Caitlin, who will be the dreaded 13 in April 2013. So if you pray, please remember me!!

I started smoking cigarettes when I was 12. Yeah, my lungs are so black that when I die, future medical students will use my lungs at Etch-O-Sketches. Sadly, I still smoke cigarettes. And the occasional cigar.

But whereas cigarettes are about getting the nicotine fix that keeps me from slaughtering most of the population, the pipe is all about comfort, relaxation, and enjoyment.

I've been smoking pipes off and on since I was 18; it's only been fairly recently (in my 30's) that the pipe has become more important and special.

I'm glad that I found this wonderful site and its forums, and I look forward to "meeting" y'all and discussing our mutual love of the pipe and its many wonderful types of tobacco!

I'm so awesome, I make myself jealous of myself.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

W elcome to the forum guys

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

vabriar

Login to Send PM

Hello all, I just joined the site yesterday and what an awesome community! Google kept leading me to this site when I was searching the internet for pipe related topics. Then I started to listen to the Pipes Magazine podcast so I didn't really have a choice, I had to join. I have smoked a pipe off and on (mostly off) since I was 18. My first few experiences were not that great. They were filled with daydreams of Norman Rockwell like scenes coming to life followed by a mediocre or bad smoke. For some unknown reason I kept coming back to try again eventually finding tobacco I like and proper technique. Recently I have been smoking more frequently again and feeding my PAD again.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. austinxpipe

austinxpipe

Login to Send PM

Hello All!

My name is Austin and I'm from Michigan.

A little about me...

I currently live in Ishpeming, MI with my fiance, Trina while I attend Northern Michigan University. I'm majoring in Communications and Economics and plan to graduate next year.

I work full time for a large telecommunications company as a business consultant. I'm very busy all the time with work and going to school and am looking forward to a hobby that I think will fit my schedule as well as help me relax after long days of studying and the pressures at my job.

In my spare time which is rare these days I enjoy weightlifting, reading, studying nutrition, going to concerts, and most of all relaxing with Trina and our cat, Lucille.

I smoked my first pipe on the day I turned 18 and enjoyed it, but didn't touch one again until few years later when my friend Johnnyxpipe took me to the local shop and we bought 2 pipes. We smoked them in his Bronco and at his apartment. I learned enough to pique my interest and was into it for a few weeks, but had some life changes soon after and pipe smoking got lost in the shuffle. Now I'm "back" and can't wait to experience the same enjoyment I witness here on the forum.

Excited to be here,
    Austin

I like to smoke pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. camaro283

camaro283

Login to Send PM

Hey, everyone! I'm Teidje, but most people around home call me Tex... I'm a Canuck from Vancouver Island, and I'm pretty new at the whole pipe scene. Got fed up with foul tasting/smelling cigarettes and decided to take this route, and I'm definitely loving it so far! I stumbled onto this site from a google search and I joined up as there was tons of good info and what looks like a great community so far!

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Teidje: explain your screen name for us.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. kasbah

kasbah

Login to Send PM

Good evening to everyone!

My name is Mark, I'm a 22 year old business owner in Cleveland, OH. I smoke argileh (hookah) about 4 times a week and have been for many years since my introduction to it in my young age (it runs in my culture). A friend of mine even has produced some great molasses tobacco for the hookah using some excellent pipe blends. I've had a couple forays into pipes but about 8 months ago I dropped the pharmacy briar I had and the Captain Black and picked up a French "Key Club" bulldog basket pipe, some CAO Cherry Bomb (holy cherry this is overwhelming), and some MC Syrian Full Balkan (I HAD to buy this seeing as I'm Syrian myself and my mother grew up in Latakia). This began my transformation but I really don't like the pipe I currently have so I decided to place an order for my first big boy briar

Here's the order I placed today:

Savinelli Champagne 707KS
    8oz Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
    100g McClelland's Christmas Cheer 2012
    4oz Lane 1-Q

I cannot wait for this order to arrive and to start building my collection! Look forward to share plenty of laughs and loads of knowledge with you gents (and ladies)!

Cheers!

Mark

Mark
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipenerd

Login to Send PM

Hello from Southern Utah! Joined up last night, and just decided to introduce myself! Nice place you have here!

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. cubbydawg

Kirk

Login to Send PM

Hiya Folk, I've been a pipe smoker for a number of years now but have only more recently become involved in smoker related forums. I used to smoke that darn awful Clan for over 20yrs, I know, sad isn't it, well since more recent times I have become an ardent Latakia fan and am quickly getting turned on by Brown Bogie, soon hopefully to be trying a little Black Bogie too. I joined another very popular smokers forum and very quickly found myself wanting to be more involved in such a community, being new there I had no chance of being promoted to site staff, so I did the obvious, I started my own pipe smoker forum. I am also trying my hand at Blogging, I had a blog a little while back but felt it wasn't going well so I ditched it, a part of me just couldn't let it go so I started a new one on Word-press called Cubby Pipes, you're welcome to pop along there some time if you'd like, all are welcome of course.

I have joined here as I heard tell of Briar Bid on Smokers Forums and felt the need to get to know the owner of this site better, who as you all know is a Partner at Briar Bid. I like what I see here so far and have been looking around a little, I hope to get to know some of you all a little better as time goes by.

Peace and good will to one and all, happy smoking folks.

Regards,
    Kirk.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. bamacfa

bamacfa

Login to Send PM

Hi My name is John and I am new to the forum and pipe smoking. Thanks for letting me join up

John
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all the new guys. Hope you guys have as much fun here as I do.

Harris
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. imrandy

imrandy

Login to Send PM

Name is randy semi new to pipe smoking loving it so far

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. jjmitchem

Jim (Chappy)

Login to Send PM

New pipe smoker here, long time cigar smoker though.

Just picked up a couple of MM cobs and a couple of blends to try and I am liking it a lot. Will be shopping for a good Briar next

I'm an active duty Army Chaplain stationed in Hawaii right now, have used cigars many time to boost morale while deployed, plan to bring a few pipes on my next deployment

- Chappy

"I'm not ashamed of anything whatever that I do, and I don't feel that smoking makes me ashamed, and therefore I mean to smoke to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon

- Chappy
    "I'm not ashamed of anything whatever that I do, and I don't feel that smoking makes me ashamed, and therefore I mean to smoke to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. oldshacker

oldshacker

Login to Send PM

Hello all
    My name is Steve but known as old-shacker for my last name is neuhauser (new-house-r) a nickname someone thought up on a whim.
    I am 58 and I had a pipe in my hands when I was 10. At that time, I made real corncob pipes to give away as hobby. For some reason I was amazed by the pipe at that early age.
    Started smoking the darn things when I was 17 and enjoyed them ever since. I smoke a few bowls a day as I work outside and in the evening, I sit with my son on the porch, fill one of the large bowls, and sip some rum.
    I have no favorite pipe for I enjoy them all. I do feel that each pipe made by hand has its own unique spirit and sets the mood accordingly.
    I don’t collect pipes I use them.
    Oldshacker

When I was knee high, I thought that my late grandpa made the clouds in the sky with his cigar smoke, only to find out later it was his pipe smoke.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. madmick

madmick

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to pipe smoking, about 2 years now and loving every minute of it. Both of my Grandfathers smoked a pipe as well as my father when I was younger. I picked up a pipe out of the blue one day and just the smell alone was addicting. I love the relaxation it brings me in the evening sitting in my recliner gently puffing and sipping a cup of tea after a long day at work. I only smoke about a bowl a day so I’m still learning. I get strange looks from most people when seen with my pipe but every now and again it sparks up a great conversation and typically makes a new friend at the end.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

nebelwerfer

Login to Send PM

Quite by accident, I just returned to pipe smoking after a twenty-odd year hiatus. Damn my short attention span.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

Hi all.
    My name really is Mick. I'm in my mid 40's, lived in and around central Ohio most of my life. A brief stint in the USAF got me out of Ohio for a bit. haha.
    I've been a lurker here for several months and decided to actually join the fun.
    I've been smoking a pipe for about 2 years. Just actually figured it out about a week ago. I finally found another piper to show me how to properly pack one. Surprise, no more burnt tongue, no more hot pipes, I'm actually getting flavor and not needing 20 matches for one bowl. I have mostly basket pipes, a few cobs, 2 Grabows and a 70's era GBD. Now that I have begun to truly appreciate a pipe I will, when the budget director allows me, be buying some "good" pipes.
    I am mostly a snus and nasal snuff user, using them to escape a 30 year cig habit. I found pipes because I write for a snus site and publish a magazine and found the scent of burning tobacco calls my muse. I couldn't write well after giving up cigs. The pipe fills my missing need.
    Sorry if I bored you with the length of my first post. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. helm

helm

Login to Send PM

Hello All

Been reading this site since I came back to the pipe about a month ago. I had a really poor experience about 10 years ago when I first tried the pipe....boils down to absolutely no idea what I was doing and doing whatever it was I was doing very badly.

Since trying again with the help of the wonderful forums here, I think I have figured it out, sort of.

Just want to thank you all, you have now given me a new addiction, and I am truly happy about it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

badeland

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but have had an old trusty pipe since 2006. As it's only been six years, I still feel like I'm learning a lot about pipe culture and can spend hours flitted away scouring the forums. The wife is getting me an upgrade for Christmas, and as my old pipe has never developed a healthy cake, I'm interested in breaking in the new one properly.

I currently teach English to college freshmen and find that the pipe is an amazing way to soothe the monotony of paper grading. Additionally, it's a perfect companion to reading literary theory.

Happy November and Movember; may we enjoy the pipe and never get prostate cancer.
    http://z6mag.com/featured/no-shave-november-what-you-need-to-know-to-help-raise-prostate-cancer-awareness-1615140.html
    (Though I should admit that I'm not starting clean shaven, and I'm not cultivating a mustache)

Also, would anybody like to recommend a good flake tobacco? I find it to be my preferred smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. cajundad

cajundad

Login to Send PM

Hello to all . I am a 33y/o nurse from Louisiana . I recently inherited a box full of vintage pipes , mostly imports . I have smoked pipes on and off for a few years . My first pipe was given to me by my great uncle . It was a kaywoodie . I loved the way he packed that IRC tobacco in it . I wish I could pack it that way but I'm learning . Now I have IRC , weber , Grenci , viggo nelson , berby pigskin , peteron , hilson , butz choquin , big Ben , mr. Anderson , elaborate carved meerschaums , and many more . I would like to get some history on them . Some care techniques , and cleaning tips . I like IRC 3 star blue tobacco , but that's all I know . I tried some Tobacco plus packs but they dont come close . Help would be great . Thanks for having a Spot for a Cajun on this forum .

"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan."
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. corncobguy

corncobguy

Login to Send PM

hello everybody, Im a 25 year old newbie to pipe smoking and im loving every minute of it. im excited to be apart of this forum and cant wait to start smoking more new and exciting tobaccos. Right now im kinda stuck on OTC tobaccos but i know that i will have plenty of Questions in the future and i just wana thank everybody in advance for your opinions. until next time thanxs from the corncobguy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all our New Members!
    Just dive right in.
    We all look forward to your questions, opinions, and of course your photos.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Il Toscano

Login to Send PM

Hello everybody, just arrived.
    I'm Marco from Rome (Italy), 44 yos. I've been smoking cigars since 1995 and pipe since 2009.
    Happy to join all of you.
    Cheers
    Marco

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. smokeystover

smokeystover

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

New member from Wisconsin here. I've been smoking and collecting pipes for about 30 years now. I prefer Virginias and VaPers. Not a big fan of Latakia, but I'm always trying new and popular Latakia blends. Looking for my own Arcadia, I guess.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello,

My name is Gray. I am a recent newlywed (May) and college grad (also in May). I am hoping to begin a doctorate program in economics next fall and am currently working with a forensic economist.

I have been a cigar enthusiast for about 3-4 years and recently decided to give pipes a try! So far, I do enjoy it even though I find getting a good smoke out of a pipe more difficult than a cigar! Looking forward to trying many new blends, and hopefully lots more pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

cjdincus

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,
    I just started pipe smoking about a year ago and really enjoy it. I look forward to meeting tons of new people and really furthering my knowledge about the wonderful smoke. Thank you!

Oh and my name is Cody and I am from sunny California!

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Wow, lots of new members this week. Welcome to the forum

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. scottn

scottn

Login to Send PM

Well I have posted a couple of different places around here so I thought I should officially introduce myself.

Scott Nicely from Minneapolis Metro area. I bought my first pipe about 3 weeks ago and i am currently smoking the following:

Atlandis

Galleria Wild Cherrie
    J1 Vanilla
    Old Professor

Lilydale (a house blend from Perfect Ash)

I will be smoking the "Old Black" from Carey's smoke shop. (which I got from their great deal offered here)

My pipe collection consistes of a rustic M&T bent and the magic inch from the Carey's smoke shop offer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

mnull

Login to Send PM

Hello Fellow Pipers, I recently decided to slow down and " Smell the Smoke" and started collecting and smoking pipes as a way to calm myself and reflect on life. And all I can say is why did I wait this long. Pipers have known this for years, Glad I know it now, Enjoy the Smoke Everyone Glad to be on board!

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. ceedee

ceedee

Login to Send PM

Hello pipers! I am a relative noob when it comes to smoking pipes, but am receiving some gracious advice and assistance from a good few friends who have smoked pipes for years. I am generally speaking a cigar smoker, but the intrigue of smoking a good pipe with great tobacco has re-taken my eye. I have a Jake Hackert nose warmer purchased about a year ago as well as a couple Stanwell estate pipes & a corn cob or two. Thus far, that has suited me well enough. Thus far... I look to purchase a pipe or two in the near future and explore the world of pipes some more. With regard to tobacco, I am all over the place now and finding what suits my taste. I have enjoyed a good few McClelland blends, Esoterica English blends, some McCranie's Virginia blends (I used to live in Charlotte, NC up to a few months ago), and now some Burleys. Haven't really gotten into aromatics, but I never really will stray from a new olfactory experience. I look forward to perusing the PM forums and learning from others experiences and likes. Cheers!

CD

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

1coolsmoke

Login to Send PM

Hello all my name is Jeff,I've been a member for a while just really never posted anything due to not being computer savvey.This really looks like an awesome place. looking forward to talking with each of you.Will load an avitar as soon as i figure out how. LOL....

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. mp31guitar

mp31guitar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums. Glad to have you aboard.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

daweebz

Login to Send PM

Hey, I'm Danny. Just started smoking pipes about 4 months ago. Never smoked before, it was just an on the spot decision, and it turns out I really enjoyed it. I'm a Marine stationed in Okinawa, so there's not much selection when it comes to pipes or tobacco, so I just bought some pipes from the internet and I'll just deal with my limited selection of tobacco until I find a place that sells it off base. I'm still new to this so I look forward to learning more about how to do this the right way haha.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

supdog

Login to Send PM

Hello, my name is Jim and I just started smoking a pipe(2 weeks now). I've been smoking cigars for about ten years and thought I would give pipes a try. I've been lurking around for a couple of days now so I thought I would introduce myself.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. scottn

scottn

Login to Send PM

welcome Jim, glad to have ya aboard.

Also a big welcome to the other new members!

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. metarzan

metarzan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

New member here. I have a decent collection of pipes but would still consider myself a novice. I go off and on the pipe for at least 12 years. Still looking for a tobacco that I can call my favorite. Naturally I was drawn to aromatics in the beginning, and I still enjoy them, but want more. Tried a tin of Peterson Dublin and found it unsmokable. That is why I am here. To learn what I like and why.
    Ron

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to all new members. Jump right in and remember that we're all about pictures. It's not that we don't like to read we just like pictures.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  42. jdto

jdto

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

My name is Jack from Toronto, Canada. Father of two, a beautiful 8-year-old daughter and a brand new 11 week old (so almost 3 months) little boy. I first picked up a pipe about 12 years ago while living in Mexico, but unbeknownst to me, it was a brylon and I didn't enjoy it (go figure). I was into cigars at the time, anyway. I've kept my grandfather's pipe with me over the years and, just last February, I found it again while going through a shoebox of stuff. I decided to grab some baccy and give it a go and it was really nice (despite the freezing cold). Since then, PAD, TAD and other afflictions have taken hold and here I am. Tinsky, Sasquatch, IMP, Dunhill, Ashton, Peterson, Mastro de Paja, Brebbia, Stanwell, Missouri Meerschaum and others are all names I'd never heard a year ago and can now be found in my pipe racks. I look forward to hanging out (virtually speaking) with you here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

archer

Login to Send PM

Hello Ladies and Gents,
    My name is Trent, I live is warm sunny Wyoming....ok I lied but I still live in Wyoming. Father of three awesome Kids my last still at home. I have smoked a pipe of and on for 20 or so years. Started when I was stationed in northern CA. with a couple of Jobeys that I wish I could find! but anyways over the years my tastes have gone to and fro I currently am really enjoying more of the english blends, but just today had a craving for an heavenly aromatic experience so the search for that begins. I was over at christian pipe smokers before my last pipe time out. I look forward to some enjoyable discussions and time here. I've got a feeling that my pipe time outs are at an end and the true enjoyment of the pipe experience is just starting.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone. My name is Don but most people just call me Fitz or Fitzy. I'm from NY. Work in NYC and live out in the country. I had a family friend that was a pipe smoker. Always smoked out of a corn cob pipe and as a kid I always loved the smell of it. I started smoking a pipe when I was about 17 however I have never been a regular smoker just the occasional smoke. I did lose interest for a few years there in my 20's. I used to have a collection of maybe 20 pipes including some amazing meerschaum's that I lost probably 20 years go. Right now I only have 2 pipes a Peterson system standard w/ plip pipe(about 15 years old) that I love and another no name sand blasted pipe. I recently have picked up interest in it again. I've smoked aromatics and I did try an english blend once but I found it rather repulsive. Way too smokey tasting I know now it's probably the Latakia.

I'm interested in trying some virginia blends. At this point the Dunhill early morning pipe and the Escudo navy have piqued my interest as have the idea of flake tobacco.

I'm going to be scouring the forum's looking for new non aromatic blends to try.

I also have to say I'm loving this website and the weekly radio podcast.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  45. noodle

noodle

Login to Send PM

Hello people it seems im all alone over here in a rather damp little place called england, near liverpool to be roughly precise with my location
    Ive smoked pipes on and off for a good few years and found this place when looking for a solution to having misplaced a pipe in a lake for a short while.
    Oh im addicted to fishing for you new world lot northern pike in particular and mostly with lures.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. noodle

noodle

Login to Send PM

Double post. Many apologies.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

mister

Login to Send PM

Aloha folks!

My namn is Martin, 34 years old and I´m from Malmö(Sweden) I have been smoking cigars for 5y and recently started enjoying smoking pipe, right now I am trying to find my way around in the "pipeworld" when it comes to pipes and tobacco and so far so good

A story that has to do with pipes...

I am a a friends place at a (cigar)herf and one of they guys who is there tells me that he is into pipe and the secretary in the swedish pipeclub witch I though was cool(so I join the pipeclub ofcourse) and after a while he tells me that he knew Bo Nordh and was a close friend with Bo(one year Bo invited him to the big pipeshow in Chicago..free of charge) and when Bo passed away he inherit him, pipes and all...I almost drop my jaw of suprise.

Well enough of my and my bad english...happy that I found this place

/

Martin

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

Hello, my name is Jake. I have been looking around here for a week or two so I figured I'd better go ahead and introduce myself. I am 25 and my interest in pipes began when I was younger and found a couple of pipes that belonged to my grandpa in his younger days. I have recently pulled them out along with a couple of my own. I look forward to asking questions and acquiring as much knowledge on the subject as I can.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. airbornefish

airbornefish

Login to Send PM

Hello all, my name is Dan, but I go by fish usually. I am relatively new to pipe smoking (2 years), and as my profile says I only have two pipes. Other than smoking I enjoy spending time with my wife and our two lab mixes, off roading as in my picture (the wrangler is mine, the commander is a friend's), shooting (I own an ar-15, sks, m1 carbine, marlin model 60, and a Springfield xd .40 subcompact), reading, and of course xbox. I am in the army as an active duty soldier, airborne, and hoping to make a career out of it. So, that's me, nice to meet you and cant wait to get to know some of you

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. easydraw

easydraw

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

My name is Cody im new to pipe smoking, found a bunch of old pipes in storage and thought why not give it a whurl! Never thought there were so many different types of tobaccos out there ( holly cow!) Been reading alot of posts and think I have a game plan for that.

Man can not live on bread alone.... Unless you lock him in a cage and thats all you feed him!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

multiballs

Login to Send PM

hello all,
    i'm JB from the netherlands,
    my nickname is multiballs (pinball machines)
    i have some poul winslow pipes,peterson's.stanwell,bigben and more...
    i smoke different tobacco's,latakia's,penzance,winslowNR1,troost slices
    dunhill erly morning,nightcap,dunhill flake and more.....

greetz from the netherlands

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. yorkshirepipe

yorkshirepipe

Login to Send PM

Good day all
    I'm Johnny, from Yorkshire in the UK, but currently a mathematics student in sunny Scotland! Have been smoking pipes and a occasional cigars for over 4 years now, have bought and sold many pipes. Have a nice collection now of 20. Starting listening to the radio show and like a lot of the articles posted and would like to give my two cents on some of the forum posts so here I am! Great site, looking forward to getting stuck in! Pictures of pipes and such to come.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Johnny, JB, Cody, Fish and any of the other new guys I've missed. I'm new as well. Radio show rocks check it out for those of you that haven't.

I'm curious Johnny what tobacco's you like to smoke over there in the UK? Also I have to ask if you have a football team in the EPL you root for.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. tmilz20

tmilz20

Login to Send PM

Hola and hello! My name is Tim, having an official address in the Great Lakes State of Michigan. That's just where I get my mail however because 1 out of every 3 days I'm in a Delta Airlines airplane crossing the country or traveling to South America. Makes it hard to grab a bowl of my favorite McClelland Mellow Mack in my favorite Bekler Meerschaum pipe, but I do my best to make up for it! I love to travel, love my family, and love the beach. I've been smoking a pipe off and on for 30 years, and love it every time I get to light up. I appreciate you guys letting me in to the group, and look forward to some virtual story telling around the humidor for many years to come. Thanks!

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. undermidnight

undermidnight

Login to Send PM

Greetings everyone! Name here is Jason. I have been smoking a pipe now going on 16 years and I must say, I am not as advanced as some of you even though I have been smoking a while. I enjoy mild aromatics and have recently discovered more English type blends (Dunhill is one of them). My wife doesn't like the English blends at all but she tolerates the aromatics.. hehehe Pipe smoking to me is a way to relax and enjoy finer things in life. The feel of the pipe in my hands, the taste of the tobacco, and just the enjoyment of the moment.

I have about 17 pipes in my collection including Petersons, my first estate pipe (Stanwell), and about 5 Meerschaums. I recently acquired a Design Berlin pipe while I was in Hamburg a few weeks back for a conference.

I am finding that pipe smokers are some of the friendliest people around and seem to share some of my interests.

Other things I am into:

Amateur Astronomy - I enjoy building telescopes and spending time under the stars. I usually light up a bowl while I wait for the sun to set.
    Amateur Radio - Callsign N8XE
    Music - I play keyboards and other instruments at church and in a band
    Old Book Collecting - Especially German Astronomy books from the 1800s
    Craft Beers and good Whiskey (including Scotch)

Nice to see a thriving online pipe smoking community. I hope to contribute in some way. I plan to make my first pipe sometime in the upcoming year.

Jason

"The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  56. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello all, my name is John and I have been smoking pipes off and on since I was a senior in high school more than 30 years ago. I enjoy fly fishing and fly tying, shooting and hunting with a flintlock and spending time in the woods and on the waters. I live in southeast Washington on the border with Idaho. I look forward to participating and learning from this site. Thanks for having me!

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

safaripete

Login to Send PM

Hi All, my name is Peter and I've been smoking pipes since 1967. I'm a retired NYC Police Detective living in Central Oregon. Fly fishing, trap and skeet shooting , and driving are my other enjoyments . Relaxing with a nice pipe full of tobacco is a fine way to spend an afternoon. Looking forward to sharing some "pipe speak"with all of you.
    Thanks for the friendship!!
    Safaripete

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. wcannoy

Walt Cannoy

Login to Send PM

Hi!
    My name is Walt, I'm from central Florida. I used to be into pipes... then was out for a while. Now I'm into pipes again! Go figure...

Cheers!

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. devinxpipe

devinxpipe

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I'm Devin and am brothers with austinxpipe. The first day I smoked a pipe was when I went into George's Smoke Shop in downtown Holland. What an aromatic and relaxing time that was with one of my good friends, Ryer.

I'm going to Kendall in Grand Rapids, but soon will be going to NMU in Marquette.

Another very important thing is, I make comic strips and stories on my site devincomics.webs.com with my "business partner" Dylan. He makes B3dta, and I make everything else. I even drew austinxpipe's avatar on this site. I plan to post pipe-related cartoons, like the gentleman J. King.

Happy Huffing,
    Devin

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. austinxpipe

austinxpipe

Login to Send PM

Welcome Bro!! Great to have another Brother of the Briar, especially a biological one!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

cheermeister

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone. I just recently started smoking pipes about six months ago when my dad got his first pipe. I joined because I am really wanting to learn as much as I can about pipe smoking. I have yet to buy a nice brand new one but I have four that I bought at some antique stores. Excited to learn what I can from these forums.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. guitarguy86

guitarguy86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. A TON of new members Welcome to the forum everyone. One of the friendliest places around.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. samrvior

samrvior

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone.

My name is Samuel Vior, I've smoked for about two and half yrs. After a long 8 yrs hiatus from Cigars. And I just wished I tried it a lot sooner. I truly enjoy smoking a pipe, briar, meerschaum, cob, morta and Honduran Rose so far. My favorite shapes are Billiards, Brandy, Cherrywood Bents all bents. I also prefer Italians and French briars above all, and finally tobaccos Va, Vaper, Burley and Cavendish. will start tasting English (latakia and orientals this winter time).

I have coined this motto "I do, happily puffing ever after"

Good Puffing!

I do, Happily Puffing Ever After.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is definitely a strong family resemblance.

Welcome to all the new members!

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. hans

hans

Login to Send PM

My name is Hans and i have been on and off with pipes since around 2001-2002.
    Currently i am on more so than ever. I'm an old soul at 35 going on 75.
    I live in Portland Oregon and love to read about pipes, history and tobacco blending.

Well that's the short of it. Look forward to reading a lot more on this site!

"Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires."
    - John Steinbeck
    Posted 1 year ago #
  66. pipedreamer

pipedreamer

Login to Send PM

Hello!I came upon this site while surfing some of greg peases' articles. Liked some of the forums and decided to join. I'm coming up on my 53rd pipe smoking anniversary. I really like pipes and all they have to offer. The truth is, I have pad,pmd, and tad to a degree rarely seen. it's too late for me to change,so I relax,light up and place another order, or make another pipe. Almost keeps me out of trouble. Pipe smoking is growing fast. I like this due to the science, art, techniques and magic that will be passed to the younger ones; Whom, I hope will improve this brotherhood. I'm honored to be here. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarfan63

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. Typed in "pipes magazine" because of my favorite publication and came across this site. What a great find. To tell you about myself, I bought my first pipe on my 16'th birthday and have enjoyed it off and on for the last 34 years. I have slowly gone from corncob to meerschaum to briars, but never giving up my faithful corncobs. My favorite briars are Peterson and Savinelli with Peterson at the top of my list. I have never purchased drug store tobaccos. Unsure what they are like. I have been smoking a special blend from my favorite tobacconist in Syracuse, NY. Some day I hope to find a close comparison to it in tinned tobacco. If anyone here is from the central New York area, I would appreciate hearing from you. Maybe there are hidden tobacconists out there that can help me find my next favorite blend. Thank you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Briarfan welcome to pipesmagazine.com's forums.

Can you tell us a little bit about this blend you smoke? We maybe able to help you find a tinned version very similar. I'm from NY as well but down closer to Poughkeepsie.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarfan63

Login to Send PM

Hey Fitzy,
    Thank you for the reply. I frequent the Newburgh-Beacon areas frequently. Let me know what you need and I will get it to you soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I'm Tim age 61. I live in North Idaho (don't worry we drove out most of the white supremacists a few years back).
    I have been smoking a pipe for about 40 years. I discovered this site a couple of weeks ago and am looking forward to learning more about how to enjoy this hobby. Learning never ends...

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alphaflux, daimyo, nurseman, fishingandpipes, dmcmtk, kcvet67, phil67, prndl, zack24, gingerfus, yllwbeard, jiminks, rx2man, papajoe, rsuninv, tppytel, jmatt