PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jebi

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Oklahoma
Everyone,

I am just going to write my journey to pipe smoking as I hope it will serve as a good introduction to who I am and how we got here. I will provide a TLDR at the end if you wish to skip.

I started smoking cigarettes off and on in late middle school through high school. Wouldn't recommend as I didn't even really like them, but my friends did it and I was "cool". I quit going into college where I was studying for Electrical Engineering. Turns out once you deal with stress through cigarettes you crave them when stuff gets stressful. Vaping was just coming around at the time. This was when you really couldn't buy them in a gas station when you had to build your own coils if you wanted a decent cloud and you had unlimited taste testing at stores before the FDA standardized vaping. I continued vaping throughout the years in college but wanted to quit because of constantly dropping money that I really couldn't afford on my fix. I found quitting vaping way harder than cigarettes for me personally. The convenience, the lack of horrible smell, the flavor... I would basically use the thing as a fidget toy almost. So I sold my vape and started smoking again.

I quit within a month of having to get cigarettes. Disgusting things for me to use, I just couldn't do it. So I was nicotine and tobacco free for a while with the occasional cigar (which I don't really like) at a friend's wedding or during some deep talks with the guys. This lead me eventually to wanting to get a casual smoking experience as it's relaxing with minimal to no nicotine and great flavor. With my research, that naturally led me to pipe smoking. I did all the research, my wife was ok with me trying it as she doesn't like nicotine/smoking, and off to the races. Bought my first pipe almost 4 months ago at a Ren Faire to get a whole kit and it turns out my wife likes the smell too! So I am an occasional pipe smoker, when the night is beautiful and I want to sit peacefully with the birds and critters around my pond in the backyard. When I have something to contemplate. When I was wrong in a situation and I need to reflect on myself. When I need to plan my next DnD session for my players. When I had a horrible day at work and need to reset at home so that I leave it on the doorstep. That's when I smoke and forget the bustle of the world. I met yesterday with the "local" pipe club here that was set up by the resident MGAOKC (also the reason I am making this account) and it was a great group of guys chatting about various topics. I am glad to expand the friends I have in the hobby.

TLDR: Smoked cigarettes at a young age. Quit. Picked up vaping during college. Switched back to cigarettes to quit again. Wanted a peaceful smoke but don't like cigars. Landed on pipe smoking. Smoke mainly when I need mindfulness.

seabee1999

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK
Greetings from Norman, OK! It was great meeting you last night at the pipe club meet up! Glad to see you were able to set up an account here! I’ll make sure I bring my jar of Capstan for the next meeting! Otherwise, enjoy!

Reactions: Jebi and Speak Easy

Jebi

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Oklahoma
Greetings from Norman, OK! It was great meeting you last night at the pipe club meet up! Glad to see you were able to set up an account here! I’ll make sure I bring my jar of Capstan for the next meeting! Otherwise, enjoy!
Ah, it's good to know your screen name as well now haha. I will make sure to bring all the tobacco I own to hopefully get you some kind of fair trade for letting me try the Capstan!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome to the forum from KC!!

"Way down yonder in the Indian nation
I rode my pony on the reservation
In the Oklahoma Hills where I was born
A-way down yonder in the Indian nation
A cowboy's life is my occupation
In the Oklahoma Hills where I born"

Reactions: Jebi

seabee1999

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK
Ah, it's good to know your screen name as well now haha. I will make sure to bring all the tobacco I own to hopefully get you some kind of fair trade for letting me try the Capstan!
No need to trade. I’ll give you a sample of flakes for you to try. Might even bring some other blend samples for you to try as well.

Reactions: Jebi

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas.

When I had a horrible day at work and need to reset at home so that I leave it on the doorstep.
After many years in the Air Force, I have worked for myself/others in equal measures.
It has always been impossible for me to "leave it on the doorstep" when engaged in either of the first two.
When working for someone else, I sleep like a baby.

Reactions: Jebi and keith929