PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tonygreif

Lurker
Dec 28, 2022
Title edited for brevity and caps. Original:

"New pipe smoker from the Mountain View, but with a family history of pipe smoking and a question for the elders."

Howdy folks. I'm Tony and I just enjoyed my first pipe smoke two days ago in honor of my father and grandfather. My Christmas present from my mother was a collection of four pipes, two from my father, two from my grandfather. The back story is that my dad was in the Air Force in the '60s and we were station in Germany twice for a total of five years into the 70s. The pipe stands and one of the pipes are from Germany at that time; the other one (with a leather jacket) came from Tanganyika (now Tanzania), and the other two were my grandfather's, imported from the UK.

You can see the pipes and my tribute to my dad with my first smoke here:

Pardon me for any mistakes I made; my only experience are my memories watching my dad do this was when I was a kid. In any case, I enjoyed the experience very much and plan to continue.

My dad smoked Borkum Riff back then. It was a very aromatic tobacco that I associate with pleasant memories. However, I understand from reading various forums that today's Borkum Riff is very different from the Borkum Riff of the '60s/'70s. So here's my question: are any of you elders in the tobacco smoking community familiar with Borkum Riff of that period and able to make a recommendation as to what I should consider buying today for a similar experience?

In the video, you can see me smoking Captain Black. While there was nothing wrong with it per se, it smelled to me like cigarette smoke. It was nothing like the rich aroma that I fondly remember and associate with my father's memories.

Thank you! I look foward to joining and learning from this community and sharing experiences with my sons.

Tony

P.S. I live in California now, but grew up living in many places with my Air Force father, and was raised with strong patriotic American values. My brothers and I all ended up in various branches of the military. I served in the Navy for six years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
Welcome, Tony.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Smoking your father's and grandfather's pipes is a nice way to honor both of them. I am glad that you received the pipes as presents, rather than having them wind-up as used on some site, or worse...thrown-away. I hope that you enjoy your pipe-smoking experience, even if only to honor them on special days.

Thank you for your service in the Navy.

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Welcome to the site... i wish i could help with your search, but that will be up to the older heads. It is amazing how powerful the connection is to our childhood and the scents and sights we experienced. I hope my grandchildren go through the same experience some day.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In the video, you can see me smoking Captain Black. While there was nothing wrong with it per se, it smelled to me like cigarette smoke. It was nothing like the rich aroma that I fondly remember and associate with my father's memories.
I'd say two things on that. It always smells different to the guy smoking it then it does to everyone else. And all pipe tobacco gets more cigarette smoky when not smoked gently. Or in other words take your time and sip instead of puff on the pipe and if the smoke seems hot or loses flavor let the pipe sit for a while (it's a feel thing which comes with experience). And more importantly it takes time to get proper pipe smoking down. And what is proper pipe smoking? It's when you feel like it's easy for you to get the most enjoyment out of the pipe. (some prefer their tobacco really dry some damp and many somewhere in between, as an example). So it will take some time before you really get that rich aroma you're looking for, but it's there.

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Title edited for brevity and caps. Original:

"New pipe smoker from the Mountain View, but with a family history of pipe smoking and a question for the elders."

Howdy folks. I'm Tony and I just enjoyed my first pipe smoke two days ago in honor of my father and grandfather. My Christmas present from my mother was a collection of four pipes, two from my father, two from my grandfather. The back story is that my dad was in the Air Force in the '60s and we were station in Germany twice for a total of five years into the 70s. The pipe stands and one of the pipes are from Germany at that time; the other one (with a leather jacket) came from Tanganyika (now Tanzania), and the other two were my grandfather's, imported from the UK.

You can see the pipes and my tribute to my dad with my first smoke here:

Pardon me for any mistakes I made; my only experience are my memories watching my dad do this was when I was a kid. In any case, I enjoyed the experience very much and plan to continue.

My dad smoked Borkum Riff back then. It was a very aromatic tobacco that I associate with pleasant memories. However, I understand from reading various forums that today's Borkum Riff is very different from the Borkum Riff of the '60s/'70s. So here's my question: are any of you elders in the tobacco smoking community familiar with Borkum Riff of that period and able to make a recommendation as to what I should consider buying today for a similar experience?

Thank you! I look foward to joining and learning from this community and sharing experiences with my sons.

Tony

P.S. I live in California now, but grew up living in many places with my Air Force father, and was raised with strong patriotic American values. My brothers and I all ended up in various branches of the military. I served in the Navy for six years.
Hello from the People's Republic of New York. What was your rate?

Reactions: tonygreif

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Another Bay area pipesman?! We have a small group of Bay Area guys that get together every few months, PM if you want to join in!

Reactions: tonygreif