PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
The pouch has a graphic that denotes a strength rating of "3". I asked Mac Baren for clarification on this, and they replied; "Concerning the strength 3, this means it is one of our more "stronger" blends. 1 is the mildest and 3 is the strongest we use. The strength [measurement] is a mix of both nicotine satisfaction and taste."
So high vitamin N? sounds good.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
It's a Scottish blend. To stand out in the land of haggis, whiskey, bagpipe music and throwing the kaper, you gotta be strong! :)
I don't know what it is about this one, but I gotta try it. Thanks for posting the review!
Simon

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
So high vitamin N? sounds good.
Actually, no.
The rating scale goes to 5. Mac Baren only produces up to a 3. Look at the picture of my sample pouch and notice the rating scale graphic. See how it is only in the middle?
hh-highland-blend-pouch.jpg

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
So when do WE get to try some of that sample, Kevin? How's about you toss some in one of the Box Pass boxes! :rofl:
-Jason

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Thanks for this nice review, Kevin....I'll be looking forward to getting some of this delicacy.... :puffy:

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
3 is actually on the mild side of medium. I don't know whether I should buy it. Chances are it will fall short in its strength. But using the Glenfarclas 30 (even if just a tiny bit) just shows how dedicated MB is to quality.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Looking forward to trying it. Its been a looong time since I've tried a Mac Baren blend. The cut looks intruiging. At about US$160/bottle they went near first class with the choice of scotch. I'd prefer Macallan myself but I'll try it nonetheless.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I found the home page, and it had Henrik Halberg listed as owner. Per Buch is CEO.

That must be the connection.

(I'm no longer confused.) :lol:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Actually, the HH is in honor of the founder of Mac Baren, Harald Halberg.
Look at the stenciling on the crate at the bottom of this picture.
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/2011-articles/mac-baren-02/mac-baren-02-10.jpg

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I'm smoking this again right now and damn is it good!
I am smoking it for inspiration while I design the new banner ads for it.
I'm happy to report that Mac Baren will be coming back as an advertiser to promote this new blend next week.
Seriously, Highland Blend is super good. The ads will break depending on stock arriving, so when you see them go up, click on through and order some.
Here's the link to my review again.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/new-mac-baren-hh-highland-blend-exclusive-sneak-peek/

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
Yes but I doubt it's the same whisky - first of all it's watered down to 43 % and a few old casks would do the the same job without the need to select and marry whisky - the whisky flavour is rather faint after all. I wonder whether the 43 % is a warning sign so you don't water it down because nothing good comes from it but I have to try it for my own to find out. That's another 150 euro lol

Status
Not open for further replies.