PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I only began taking the coronavirus seriously on Sunday. Yesterday I read that Britain is planning a 4 month forced seclusion in their homes, which I thought coercive. Today more reading makes me think the Brits have it right.

The problem is not the mild symptoms forecast for most but the contagion and the likelihood of infection, and it is only after infection do you find out how sick you are going to get.

I've decided to stay home except for doctor appointments and supply replenishment, but I can't imagine doing so for 4 months, with only my cat for company.

But we get along well and I have formidable Indian, Tibetan and Chinese Buddhist texts to get through.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The other answer is that most experts believe the number of cases is grossly underreported right now, here and elsewhere. So constant numerator divided by an expanded denominator equals lower rate. That’s the logic, and with a few quibbles I find it compelling.
Supposedly no one has been confirmed to have it here, yet I find that so unlikely. Especially with how many international students there are, how terrible students are at not being gross (if you clean up after them, you can say that). The thing is many young people aren't showing signs or are showing minimal signs and many young people can't afford to go to the doctor especially if their work is closed.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It's an open question in my mind whether or not mass social distancing is the right thing to do. If the idea is to protect the most vulnerable individuals that can be done without locking down society; moreover as others have pointed out locking down society ensures that the elderly face additional exposure to whatever their kids and grandkids are carrying as they're sent home from school. So it's not entirely clear that the vulnerable will experience a net gain from a societal lockdown.

The other issue is this: for society as a whole to develop immunity individuals need exposure. By limiting that now if we face a resurgence next fall/winter, and there's certainly a chance we will, with relatively few people exposed to the antigens it will be worse than it might have otherwise been. Unless there's a vaccine, but even in that case should we be incurring additional risk in the anticipation of an event with uncertain timing?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It occurs to me that my last post is pretty far removed from the subject of the thread. If a mod want to delete it that's fine with me.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Seen a lot worse digressions, lol, but it’s certainly in the zone from my reading of it.

The issue of whether we’ll have a show or not is inextricably tied to this wretched virus and the societal reaction to it.

It’s going to be for the history books to decide which theories and practices actually worked, but all we can do right now is guess and try.

Healthy discussion about how to proceed is not out of order in my mind. Bearing in mind there’s a lot of disagreement even amongst those who are making policy or involved in the medical disciplines.

We’re in for a bumpy ride folks.

And damn it all, I understand why the events are going to be canceled and all, but ... SHIT! Shit, shit, shit.

It just sucks is all.

I guess that about sums it up.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
Well you don't know a bunch of NBA and Hollywood stars. They seem to be defying the odds and getting this virus and greater than the odds clip. No exposure is bad exposure to them, eh?

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Over the next few weeks & months there is a very strong chance we will all be exposed to COVID-19, or know someone who has contracted the ?.

Take to heart the measures that are being recommended by our medical professionals. I’m an RN that works in a hospital and we are not prepared for what is to come, and quietly we couldn’t be more concerned/frightened regarding what we are faced with.

It’s also seriously affecting younger folks than previously predicted. Protect & respect those around you, especially those most senior...they have the greatest exposure and deserve our continued diligence in this fight.

Make sure you’re stocked up with all essentials...coffee/libation, favorite blends and bowls that is!

NEXT yr for Chicago. ?‍♂️

Best to all!☕

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Well you don't know a bunch of NBA and Hollywood stars. They seem to be defying the odds and getting this virus and greater than the odds clip. No exposure is bad exposure to them, eh?
well most people are asymptomatic and aren't going to go get tested. With Hollywood it makes sense. Those people work really hard sometimes and have a ton of free time and money. Also their doctors still do house calls. Oh and their work involves lots of travel sometimes. So what's scary about it is how much it illustrates the most people who carry it don't get sick or get such minor issues they don't even suspect. It illustrates how this virus is spreading so incredibly quickly. Always great when a potentially serious virus only effects less then half of the people who have it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Over the next few weeks & months there is a very strong chance we will all be exposed to COVID-19, or know someone who has contracted the ?.

Take to heart the measures that are being recommended by our medical professionals. I’m an RN that works in a hospital and we are not prepared for what is to come, and quietly we couldn’t be more concerned/frightened regarding what we are faced with.

It’s also seriously affecting younger folks than previously predicted. Protect & respect those around you, especially those most senior...they have the greatest exposure and deserve our continued diligence in this fight.

Make sure you’re stocked up with all essentials...coffee/libation, favorite blends and bowls that is!

NEXT yr for Chicago. ?‍♂️

Best to all!☕
what scares me most is people getting slack about the isolation thing. Especially think there is a good chance things will seem to wind down and then suddenly resurge when people start thinking it is over.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
You're the only one I've seen say that. Asymptomatic people exist, but "most"? Curious where that comes from.
what scares me most is people getting slack about the isolation thing. Especially think there is a good chance things will seem to wind down and then suddenly resurge when people start thinking it is over.
They the CDC, NIH, & WHO are operating on what they think they know at this moment in time based on the evidence so far. You are right in that the vigilance of everyone will likely need to continue for sometime ...that is until better treatments are revealed by the medical community.

Think of this...a simple thing as washing your hands can save lives. This virus has given even the estimated 50 % of those that don’t wash after using the restroom pause.?

Status
Not open for further replies.