PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Depends on how many pipes you have, how you clean your pipes, and how sensitive your taste buds are.

If you don't build cake, this reduces the potential for ghosting. Some of us scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl with an abrasive paper towel, avoiding cake while maintaining a necessary thin carbon layer. That maintains the original diameter of the chamber and eliminates the need for reaming.

Also if you have a lot of pipes, that reduces the carry-over of flavors.

And finally, if you have sensitive and discerning taste buds you might want to designate pipes just to maintain a purist's experience of your blends. For others of us, a little ghosting is okay.

Lakeland aromatics with the rose geranium flavoring are smoked only in designated pipes by most pipe smokers because their flavoring is so distinctive, and especially so persistent, you just don't want that with other non-Lakeland blends. But that is a singular case.

So with that information, it is up to you. I don't have any designated pipes. I have quite a few pipes, in the neighborhood of 90 plus. I don't own a reamer. I don't smoke Lakeland aromatics, though I do happily smoke Lakeland non-aromatics. But that's all just my choice. Follow your heart ... and your taste buds.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
It's debatable. My view is, I smoke what ever I want in what ever pipe I wanna smoke it in. If it ghost, I can fix it. And I know pretty much which blends will probably be a huge ghost that bothers me. I'll smoke those in a dedicated cob. Since you're new maybe use cobs to test the blend. I'm not that bothered though. I'm a tobacco smoker. If I taste something from yesterday today then Merry Christmas.

Reactions: dublinpiper90

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’ve been a pipe smoker off and on for 10 years or so, I have always smoked aros mostly I have tried English blends 1st was early morning pipe and night cap, night cap seems to be a whole lot stronger both are good smokes, I have a pipe that I smoked aros out of but was trying to covert it to a English pipe any suggestions on coverting it over to english
My pipes fall roughly into the following categories:
1) Aromatics

2) English/Balkan and any blend with Latakia/orientals

3) Virginia/VaPer and Burley
ie non-Latakia/oriental blends

I seem to get away OK with that and don’t wish to complicate things further

If you are NOT too sensitive to ghosts, then smoke whatever you like in the same pipe.
Lots do that

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Welcome from Baltimore!

So I started out with trying to dedicate pipes to genres of tobacco, one for aromatics and one for burleys and one for etc. When I only had a small handful of pipes it worked very well. But as my pipe rotation grew, my system of mentally keeping track of which pipe smokes which leaf started to fall apart. Now, I have a dedicated Lakeland pipe, a couple that burn Virginia/va/pers, and a couple for Latakia forward blends. Anything else goes into the rest of the pipes.

That's what I do. Your own rotation will look different.

dublinpiper90

Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
Depends on how many pipes you have, how you clean your pipes, and how sensitive your taste buds are.

If you don't build cake, this reduces the potential for ghosting. Some of us scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl with an abrasive paper towel, avoiding cake while maintaining a necessary thin carbon layer. That maintains the original diameter of the chamber and eliminates the need for reaming.

Also if you have a lot of pipes, that reduces the carry-over of flavors.

And finally, if you have sensitive and discerning taste buds you might want to designate pipes just to maintain a purist's experience of your blends. For others of us, a little ghosting is okay.

Lakeland aromatics with the rose geranium flavoring are smoked only in designated pipes by most pipe smokers because their flavoring is so distinctive, and especially so persistent, you just don't want that with other non-Lakeland blends. But that is a singular case.

So with that information, it is up to you. I don't have any designated pipes. I have quite a few pipes, in the neighborhood of 90 plus. I don't own a reamer. I don't smoke Lakeland aromatics, though I do happily smoke Lakeland non-aromatics. But that's all just my choice. Follow your heart ... and your taste buds.
Thanks, my taste buds are pretty sharp at the time, i have around 6 active pipes I use, I did use one of my aros for a English blend and it wasn’t pleasant at all, didn’t know how to get rid of that ghost in it ,there only a thin carbon layer in the pipe its a briar

Reactions: kcghost

dublinpiper90

Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
I’m looking into adding New pipes, is using a filter pipe really that much difference ? I have a Peterson donegal rocky that takes the 9 mm I enjoy the dryer smoke but I have a savanelli bulldog thats non, I’m really into the Sherlock calabash by Peterson just wondering if I should go filter or not especially when it has a deep bend and I don’t classify myself as a wet smoker

FoggyMorning

Can't Leave
Jul 15, 2023
Kanagawa, Japan
Welcome from Japan.

I smoke non-aro and non-latakia blends in any of my pipes, and only smoke aro and latakia blends in specific pipes(basic cobs for aro).
I’m looking into adding New pipes, is using a filter pipe really that much difference ? I have a Peterson donegal rocky that takes the 9 mm I enjoy the dryer smoke but I have a savanelli bulldog thats non, I’m really into the Sherlock calabash by Peterson just wondering if I should go filter or not especially when it has a deep bend and I don’t classify myself as a wet smoker
Most of my pipes are Savinelli with 6mm drill, and I just smoke them without using filters or adapter.

Haven't had any experience on 9mm pipes though.