PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For anyone with a real Dupont, you don't have to pay stupid money for those little gas cartridges they claim are the only things to use on them.
When you buy any good fuel like Vector, one of the attachments always works on a Dupont. I am sure that is true with the faux Duponts. Don't get robbed on their fuel.
Yep, each FauxPont comes with a nozzle, a few flints, and an extra wheel.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I, too, own a Fauxpont and have enjoyed its use for several years. I actually plan to purchase at least one more post-Pandemic. I was not going to add to this thread but, I felt that, I could not let it end on the point that, owning one of these is “wrong”.
I want to make clear that this is not a political observation but, it is a cultural observation. Some areas of the world do not believe that there is such thing as “ownership” of an intellectual property. I realize this is truly a “foreign “ concept to most of the western world. Am I wrong and robbing duPont if I purchase one of these? By Western sentiments, possibly, yes. We should, however, be aware that, a couple of billion people think otherwise.
An equivalent ‘what would you do‘ situation may be presented to us in the future, if Cuban brands of cigars, “owned” by the Cubans, become available in the US and face Altadis cigars with the same names. Of course, I know this will be a topic of litigation. But, ”the wrong” of owning one or the other of these cigars (as Obi-Wan would say) may be wrong or right from a “certain” point of view.
A better example would probably be the Cuban brand names owned by General Cigar, as Altadis is actually a partner with the Cuban government in the Habano SA organization that markets and distributes Cuban cigars. But your point still stands...

Frankly, I don't really have any problem with knockoff stuff as long as it is obvious it's not made by the company getting knocked off. Basically, I think there is a difference between counterfeit and knock off. And anyway, right or wrong, I guess I just can't get too worked up and feeling sad on behalf of these luxury item manufacturers. I think it's kind of funny that for 25-35$ someone can get something that is at least somewhat close, in appearance and functionality, to what goes for hundreds and thousands of dollars in different circles.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
danimalia is right that, General would have been a better choice for my example. Altadis, still, will have a dilemma in that, they have non-Cuban “Cuban brands” (ie. Montecristo and H Upmann) in their portfolio besides their 50% stake in Habanos SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.