PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2020
So I just won an auction on eBay. For a very nice looking Dunhill Billiard shape 39. I believe 1964 or 1974. It will be my first Dunhill, so I am excited to say the least. Only thing I am concerned with is the nomenclature. No Root Briar stamp under DUNHILL, no F/T, or R stamp after the 3. Has anyone else seen this before? Is this pipe real? What do you guys think?

s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600-4.jpgs-l1600-2.jpg

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Don’t worry yet. The photography isn’t the greatest. There’s enough authenticity that it wouldn’t alarm me. More nomenclature may be evident once the pipe is in your hands. Additionally, people are devils with buffers and some nomenclature may have been buffed off. Don’t panic yet.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill owner nor student, so that's my disclaimer. The photo certainly doesn't look like a Dunhill, but I've been surprised before. The proportions of the pipe look a little off for the brand, and the stem and bit as well. The finish is nice, but not as refined, at least in the photo. It may be a Dunhill, but the photo raises suspicions. I'll be interested to learn what you conclude.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Sep 14, 2020
Thanks for the responses. I have a good feeling about it, but I will certainly post more photos once I receive the pipe. I have also heard of Dunhill pipes being stolen off the production line, possibly the case?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I know nothing about this so I'll just offer a contrasting opinion. It's fake, but it's better then the real thing. Well it was maybe Albert Dunhill the more talented pipe maker less talented marketer. I know that's not true but it won't change the actual pipe so why not go with it.

Sep 14, 2020
Hello everyone,

So I just received the pipe. Here's a few photos. Not sure if my pics are much better than the ones I already posted, but oh well I only have a phone camera.

There is no additional nomenclature or signs that any was buffed off. I must say this pipe is insanely small. I would have thought a Group 3 would be a bit bigger. This is what I would have imagined a group 1 to be. Any thoughts? Thanks.62310833028__810D1D2E-7C7B-4B19-B492-27C9E6656DD7.JPGIMG_1368.JPGIMG_1369.JPGIMG_1370.JPG

Reactions: Casual

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Compared to that tin, the size looks about right for a group 3 billiard.
They will be around 130-140 mm long, with a chamber size of 18x36 mm, give or take. Weight maybe 30-40 grams.

PS. Your hand is not a very good measuring device.

Status
Not open for further replies.