Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Now days most listenable country still follows old roots. You have to find them through Independent releases on the internet. Stuff like Colter Wall, Cody Jinks. One gall that has a foot both in mass "nashville sound" and traditional outlaw stuff is Ashley McBryde. Though I like her better without her band.

14:33 fun little song, 24:28 is a great one too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Briar Lee

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I’ve noticed that any of my friends that play rock music bass guitar will always play Smoke on the Water to test out a bass guitar.
As a bass/guitar player (among other instruments), I’d suggest that this is no way to test out a bass guitar. Seven notes, all played at one end of the fretboard, really won’t tell you much about the instrument. Plus, the familiar riff was played on a Strat, not a bass; the bass only offers support later.

They’d be better off playing one of Paul McCartney’s melody lines, Chris Wolstenholme’s exquisite riff from Muse’s “Hysteria,” or something from Metallica. Or, if they’re adventurous, something that Tony Levin played with Peter Gabriel. That would give you a much better sense of the instrument’s tone, tuning, and intonation.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
As a bass/guitar player (among other instruments), I’d suggest that this is no way to test out a bass guitar. Seven notes, all played at one end of the fretboard, really won’t tell you much about the instrument. Plus, the familiar riff was played on a Strat, not a bass; the bass only offers support later.

They’d be better off playing one of Paul McCartney’s melody lines, Chris Wolstenholme’s exquisite riff from Muse’s “Hysteria,” or something from Metallica. Or, if they’re adventurous, something that Tony Levin played with Peter Gabriel. That would give you a much better sense of the instrument’s tone, tuning, and intonation.

There’s an immoral line in Grapes of Wrath about the two kinds of guitar players.

——
And perhaps a man brought out his guitar to the front of his tent. And he sat on a box to play, and everyone in the camp moved slowly in toward him, drawn in toward him. Many men can chord a guitar, but perhaps this man was a picker. There you have something — the deep chords beating, beating, while the melody runs on the strings like little footsteps.

——

I can chord the Wildwood Flower, but I’ll never pick it.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
About ten years ago I got _heavily_ into old country music and landed on Hank Snow for a really long stretch. That guy could absolutely melt the fretboard on the guitar, and many of his songs are gems. I ended up finding his autobiography at my local library and enjoyed it a lot. It's a big book with lots of detail about his upbringing, life in the music business, and how it all worked back then. It was also a nice peek into the early 20th century and I'm always interested in daily life of the past. He was Canadian but ended up settling in the US. At any rate, if you like old country, check out his book.

As far as new country goes, there is no doubt that Nashville has some of the most talented musicians in the world, but to my ear the music is just awful. I will hear bits of it in passing, while shopping, etc., and there is no connection for me. I know I'm not the target audience for pop music of any kind (I'm almost 50) but I really have a hard time understanding how people enjoy today's entertainment. It is chaotic, overly and needlessly sexualized, and in most cases, just plain stupid (and I don't use that word much).

Reactions: canucklehead

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Hank Snow had so many hits it would be very hard to count them all.

His duets with Anita Carter are timeless.

His hobo songs are the best ever recorded about the knights of the road.

But he’s most remembered for I’m Movin’ On:

And Hank Snow wrote and sang it in 1950.

Most of his hits were either written by him or were reissues of old songs like I Never Will Marry or Last Ride:

Even in Hank Snow’s time, they borrowed old songs from centuries past.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rock and Roll drew heavily from country (Elvis) and gospel (everyone) and the blues everywhere. And maybe many in the U.S. don't realize how heavily the Beatles drew on old English music hall songs you can hear so plainly in "let's all get up and dance to a tune that was a hit before your mother was born," and so many others, explicitly. Who ever mentions that? For people familiar with the music, it goes without saying, and the rest are just oblivious. The Stones are steeped in African-American blues, and often named their predecessors.

Hip-Hop, Rap, and such, is mostly spoken word with musical accompaniment, making essentially the waif art of poetry a billion dollar industry. Fancy that.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Rock and Roll drew heavily from country (Elvis) and gospel (everyone) and the blues everywhere. And maybe many in the U.S. don't realize how heavily the Beatles drew on old English music hall songs you can hear so plainly in "let's all get up and dance to a tune that was a hit before your mother was born," and so many others, explicitly. Who ever mentions that? For people familiar with the music, it goes without saying, and the rest are just oblivious. The Stones are steeped in African-American blues, and often named their predecessors.

Hip-Hop, Rap, and such, is mostly spoken word with musical accompaniment, making essentially the waif art of poetry a billion dollar industry. Fancy that.

One of my favorite songs growing up was Hylo Brown’s version of Girl in the Blue Velvet Band.

The blue velvet band is basically a centuries old gansta rap murder, prostitution, drug addiction, betrayal and prison song updated to the forties, and cleaned up so the Foggy Bottom Boys could sing it at the Grand Ole Opry.

Here is a version written from memory by Bonnie Parker (Clyde Barrow’s squeeze) in a jail cell in 1932. The caption reads it was written in San Fransisco in the late 1800s, but only that version. It’s originates from the Scottish highlands God only knows how long ago:

XXXXXX

This is the version of this popular traditional poem by an unknown author, written in the late 19th century, set around the San Francisco intersection of Kearney and Pine, close to Maiden Lane and the Chinatown opium dens, as written from memory by Bonnie Parker, into her bank book from The First National Bank Of Burkburnett Texas with nine other poems, while she was in the Kaufman County Jail in 1932.

XXXXXXX

In the city of wealth, beauty and fashion
Dear old Frisco, where I first saw the light
And the many frolics that I had there
Are still in my memory to night

02:
One evening while out for a ramble
Here or there without thought or design
I chanced on a girl tall and slender
On the corner of Kearney and Pine

03:
On her face was the first flush of nature