PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
On the television in the garage CMT channel is on, playing endless loops of gorgeous women and muscular men singing forgettable songs.

This isn’t new. Patsy Cline lost a lot of weight and squeezed into tight dresses sixty some years ago.

I think the worst thing, about new country is the writer of Three Cigarettes in an Ashtray, Eddie Miller, also wrote Release Me.

And he wrote There (She) He Goes

The pickers are more talented, and the singers at least as good as they used to be.

What happened, to the Eddie Milllers and Harlan Howards?

Country music needs songwriters, I think.

Reactions: milk
When Sturgill Simpson released Metamodern Sounds in Country Music in 2014, the critiques raved that he had saved country music and embodied the heart of the Nashville sound. Well, this pissed off Sturgill, who went about proving them wrong and occasionally saying that the Nashville sound should just burn to the ground. His next few albums went about embodying that idea.

Country music was an era when commercial investors dictated what the sound of the artists would be (top down control of the media), and Nashville put a choke hold on the artists from then on, till the outlaws strove to break out of that "sound." I will have to say, I have never been particularly fond of the Nashville sound.

But, if you listen to that first Beatles album released in the US, you will hear Nashville in that album. Because if you give the people something too new, they'll reject it. Elvis, Beatles, Jerry Lee Lewis... to make something new, you have to stir in a little of the old, or the body will reject it.

Now, I like me some classic country from time to time. I prefer bluegrass, because bluegrass lived outside of that corporate control. They were the heatherns, allowing interracial musicians to mingle on the stage, and speeding up the music for more dancing, which the extreme Baptist control over Nashville didn't care much for.

But, of all of the country music give me either the outlaws or the Bakersfield influence, like newer Buck Owens, Tex Mex, Lefty, and more recent works by Johnny Cash.

I grew up with Hank Williams Jr living just down the road from us. So, we had outlaws around us, as well as visits to my dad's store by Randy Owens... well, he was probably visiting with the music store next door, but he did drop by and get some pictures with my dad for "The Wall."

The Muscle Shoals sound is an interesting bit of Country music lore as well... my cousin was a studio drummer there, and he is all over our State Hall of Fame and on more than half the labels for musicians' lists him with percussion credits. He taught me to play the drums, although, ha ha, I was never even half as good as he was. He and his son now have a company where they set up percussion for bands on tour as well as light and pyrotechnics. But Russ still plays with his own band that has recorded a few albums as well.

So, what the hell is country music? Ha ha. For a brief period in time the church holding hands with corporations forced recording studios to make an approved sound, whether the artists wanted to or not. I just can't set down and enjoy Oak Ridge Boys, or Barbara Mandrel... maybe a little Ernest Tubb. But, for the most part, I look for musicians that slammed Nashville and convention to the wall and had a blast. I mean, sure... Dolly Parton has a place in my heart.... but classic country as a whole.... nahhhh... Give me Mexican horns instead of that gawdaweful Hawaiian steel guitar. Give me banjo over Grand old opry trash. Give me whisky drenched sounds of outlaws over pretty picture and pretty ribbons.

Oh, BTW, my wife is directly related to Dr. Bascom Lamar Lunsford, to whom God gave the banjo on the mountain tops of North Carolina, and he brought the instrument down to Nashville, where he helped destroy that philistine sound of corporations. He paved the way for Doc Watson to come down there and smite them with their drummy claw hammers, so that the people were free to dance. Lunsford is a famous name in Western NC. Statues of him everywhere, and when my wife mentions her name, we get VIP treatment everywhere we go there. And, she plays a pretty mean fiddle herself. puffy

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yes, Nashville sound was a commercial product.

As Harlan Howard famously said, it was three chords and the truth.

But some of the classics were unforgettable.

About 12:45 on Friday November 22, 1963 I was 5 1/2 years old and Daddy was frying us bologna when Talk Back Trembling Lips was interrupted by the announcement

We interrupt this programming with an announcement

President John Kennedy has been shot and wounded by a sniper today in Dallas, Texas.

This station will provide further news as we receive it.

And then back to Earnest Ashworth:

That was written by John Loudermilk, who co wrote Abilene.

This Friday if I sit in a local jam session most of the music will be “Old Time Music” that predates bluegrass, outlaw, honkytonk, and are old tunes centuries old set to English lyrics.

But I’d better know Waterloo, another John Loudermilk classic. It’s one of the most requested Stonewall Jackson tunes.

Nashville sound died with all the writers of it, I think.

Those folks that settled up thar in the high peaks of Western North Carolina were so secluded, that Dr Lunsford determined that Turkey in the Straw and many of the other bluegrass traditionals went back to traditional court tunes of Elizabethan times. They had evolved, but much more slowly than the sounds of the rest of the colonies. Also, the early English language was better preserved there.

Something not many people think about these days is how music was and has evolved. It wasn't until we had a way to commercially preserve sound vinyl disks that we could hear music outside of someone playing it live. They had wax drums for a while, but they weren't practical to reproduce on a commercial level. So, if a pioneer crossing the Mississippi wanted to hear something, he had of better brought an instrument along with him. So, music styles evolved much more slowly than they do today. Songs like Harvest Moon stayed a hit for decades, whereas music today is a flash in the pan. This kind of stuff interests me.

But, if we are talking about creativity... some record exec would walk in and tell a country musician... do this one, and do it this way. All of the tracks have been laid down already, so just show up and add those lyrics done this way. A artists risked losing their job and money by defying them in any way, or by acting "different" in any way. However, it was those who did act out or did it their way that we still remember, like George Jones in his weird latter years... remember when he lost his mind and thought he was a duck? Johnny Cash... jeez, no one thought that he would have lived as long as he did. But, we remember these crazies. You'd be hard pressed to find younger folks who know who Earnest Ashworth is.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Not doubt the Beatles included a variety of songs including some "country" tunes on their earliest albums for marketing purposes but also it reflects their skiffle/Liverpool beat music/club roots where covering those songs was pretty common as well and those songs were by and large from this side of the pond. Always thought borrowing from "The Music Man" was embarrassing, lol, sure they didn't care!

Will forever be glad they covered "Twist and Shout"!

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
When I was in the radio business, back in '80s, "Country Rap" was a punchline. Now, it's mainstream.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
To everyone south of the line - no matter what music you’re playing, it’s still not okay to date your sister.
Hope this clears things up.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve noticed that any of my friends that play rock music bass guitar will always play Smoke on the Water to test out a bass guitar.

Years ago I used to think only pencil chested dope smoking hippie pukes liked songs like that, but age has mellowed my prejudices.

But for my music, there are standard songs still used today to test a pretty girl singer.

The first song any pretty girl singer learns is It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels.

But if you’d like to see how well she can fill up a dance floor, she needs to sing The Key is in the Mailbox.

The problem with country music is our Top Forty, never really changes.:)

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I’ve noticed that any of my friends that play rock music bass guitar will always play Smoke on the Water to test out a bass guitar.

Years ago I used to think only pencil chested dope smoking hippie pukes liked songs like that, but age has mellowed my prejudices.

But for my music, there are standard songs still used today to test a pretty girl singer.

The first song any pretty girl singer learns is It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels.

But if you’d like to see how well she can fill up a dance floor, she needs to sing The Key is in the Mailbox.

The problem with country music is our Top Forty, never really changes.:)
Most people with a guitar I know play Smoke on the Water because it's the only one they can. A guy I went to high school with based his whole persona around being a long haired cool coffeeshop acoustic guitar guy but he could only play smoke on the water and half of "smells like teen spirit" by Nirvana, which was new at the time. It worked for him though all the girls were nuts for him haha.

Reactions: Briar Lee